Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PLUMBING -- Did I just give myself a worse problem?

I saved myself maybe $80 by replacing the stem seal and spring on a
Delta shower faucet. I'd have been really pleased with myself, but I
lost three stem springs in the process.

Not until the third one disappeard that I realized I wasn't dropping
them behind the tile -- no, they were too small and were going right
past the stem seat and into the pipe! I finally used the old spring
(sort of conical) from the previous install with the new seal .

So I fixed the drip, but with three springs in the supply line, do I now
have a bigger problem?

Thanks for your help,
Jm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DemoDisk" wrote in message

I saved myself maybe $80 by replacing the stem seal and spring on a
Delta shower faucet. I'd have been really pleased with myself, but I
lost three stem springs in the process.

Not until the third one disappeard that I realized I wasn't dropping
them behind the tile -- no, they were too small and were going right
past the stem seat and into the pipe! I finally used the old spring
(sort of conical) from the previous install with the new seal .

So I fixed the drip, but with three springs in the supply line, do I now
have a bigger problem?

Thanks for your help,
Jm

Maybe not. Anything in the line will restrict the flow a bit, but
considering the shape and flow requirements, you may never notice any
difference. The sprigs will drop only to the first horizontal run and,
after a hundred years or so may corrode away completely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DemoDisk wrote:
I saved myself maybe $80 by replacing the stem seal and spring on a
Delta shower faucet. I'd have been really pleased with myself, but I
lost three stem springs in the process.

Not until the third one disappeard that I realized I wasn't dropping
them behind the tile -- no, they were too small and were going right
past the stem seat and into the pipe! I finally used the old spring
(sort of conical) from the previous install with the new seal .

So I fixed the drip, but with three springs in the supply line, do I
now have a bigger problem?

Take it apart again, hold a bucket against the valve, and turn on the water, and
maybe you'll get them back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"DemoDisk" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Ed, for the reassuring answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
DemoDisk wrote:
I saved myself maybe $80 by replacing the stem seal and spring on a
Delta shower faucet. I'd have been really pleased with myself, but I
lost three stem springs in the process.

Not until the third one disappeard that I realized I wasn't dropping
them behind the tile -- no, they were too small and were going right
past the stem seat and into the pipe! I finally used the old spring
(sort of conical) from the previous install with the new seal .

So I fixed the drip, but with three springs in the supply line, do I
now have a bigger problem?

Take it apart again, hold a bucket against the valve, and turn on the

water, and
maybe you'll get them back.

Wow...

The valve seat is soldered into the line behind the tile. A small,
strong magnet at the end of a thread might work, except I might lose
*that* in the line too.

I guess for now I'll just live with it.

Thanks, Bob F

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 5:46*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"DemoDisk" wrote in message

[...]

Well, the spring is steel and if the pipes are copper, it might
corrode a lot sooner than that. Hopefully just the spring will
corrode...

I'd attach a little neodymium magnet to a flexible something or other,
maybe a length of 14 gauge electric wire stripped out of some Romex,
and see if I could draw the springs out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DemoDisk" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, it is more likely stainless steel if it was in the water in usege. And
therefore, likely not magnetic.

Let's see - would a stainless spring in copper pipe cause the pipe to corrode?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Maybe not. Anything in the line will restrict the flow a bit, but
considering the shape and flow requirements, you may never notice any
difference. The sprigs will drop only to the first horizontal run and,
after a hundred years or so may corrode away completely.

Giving you spring water :-)