Posted to alt.home.repair
DemoDisk DemoDisk is offline

Default PLUMBING -- Did I just give myself a worse problem?

"Bob F" wrote in message
DemoDisk wrote:
I saved myself maybe $80 by replacing the stem seal and spring on a
Delta shower faucet. I'd have been really pleased with myself, but I
lost three stem springs in the process.

Not until the third one disappeard that I realized I wasn't dropping
them behind the tile -- no, they were too small and were going right
past the stem seat and into the pipe! I finally used the old spring
(sort of conical) from the previous install with the new seal .

So I fixed the drip, but with three springs in the supply line, do I
now have a bigger problem?

Take it apart again, hold a bucket against the valve, and turn on the

water, and
maybe you'll get them back.

Wow...

The valve seat is soldered into the line behind the tile. A small,
strong magnet at the end of a thread might work, except I might lose
*that* in the line too.

I guess for now I'll just live with it.

Thanks, Bob F