Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Default mo(u)ding between tile and ceiling

Jean,

I've got a similar issue in my soon to be tiled bathroom. I'm doing
all the walls and want a nearly full tile just above the tub rim with
the top and bottom tiles about the same size. That leaves a gap of an
inch and a half at the ceiling. The scale of the room doesn't allow
for regular crown moulding so I plan on using an exterior shingle
moulding that is an inch and 5/8ths.

The big box stores have them in the millwork department in various
shapes and sizes at about $1 per foot. They are white solid vinyl, and
can be painted. I should be able to miter them, glue them in and then
tile. Zero maintenance and a nice detail in a small bathroom.

You can use real wood (not MDF). A coat of primer and a couple coats
of finish and you are good for several years. Since your tile is
already there, you might want to fur out the wall so the moulding sits
plumb.

Good luck.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair

dss wrote:
[...]

Thanks, and good luck to you. We will try treated wood first. I
understand that there was no good solution for the relatively
small area above the tile as far as tile goes, but he could at
least have left a straight edge.

--
Jean B.