Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mo(u)ding between tile and ceiling

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:02:06 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Hi Folks,

This is my debut here, even though I have been reading the group
for a while. I am in the midst of home renovations, and as each
area nears completion, there are little issues that need to be
addressed. One is finding a molding (or some other solution) to
put between the irregular tile edges and the ceiling in the
bathroom. I assume that it would be better not to use wood,
because the area will obviously be subject to humidity. Can
anyone suggest a solution to this and possible sources for same?

Thanks,

Avoid the wood, like you mention. A photo posted would help.

Here are some tile trim. You would need to cut it properly so the
patterns match.

http://www.anchorbaytile.com/v/vspfi...diffcolors.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:02:06 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Hi Folks,

This is my debut here, even though I have been reading the group
for a while. I am in the midst of home renovations, and as each
area nears completion, there are little issues that need to be
addressed. One is finding a molding (or some other solution) to
put between the irregular tile edges and the ceiling in the
bathroom. I assume that it would be better not to use wood,
because the area will obviously be subject to humidity. Can
anyone suggest a solution to this and possible sources for same?

Thanks,

Avoid the wood, like you mention. A photo posted would help.

Here are some tile trim. You would need to cut it properly so the
patterns match.

http://www.anchorbaytile.com/v/vspfi...diffcolors.jpg

I haven't yet gotten a site to deposit photos on. The problem
with that tile trim is that the area is irregular, both because
the ceiling etc. are not totally straight etc., and because the
tops of the tiles were not trimmed. Hence, the top edge of the
tile wall is jagged.

Thank you for your response!

--
Jean B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Jean B. wrote:
Oren wrote:
[...]

What did your tile man say when you asked him about a solution?

He was a contractor who obviously did not specialize in tile, in
spite of his claim to be good at it. I did question this at the
time, but the other party did not listen to me! I have learned
from this, and we have hired an expert for the other tile work.

And why would you expect the tile tops to be trimmed? OK, if he tiled to
the ceiling he might have had to trim some to fit but should have done so
automatically. If none of the tiles go to the ceiling, all the tops should
line up in a nice straight line. In either case, the space between tile
tops and ceiling should be small - say 1/4" or less - and grouted.

But that is not the case.

Since your tile tops are irregular, about all you can do is cover them.
Cover them with what? Wood, of course, no reason not to use it, there is
lots of wood in a bathroom...cabinets, doors, toilet seats sometimes, studs
in the wall, etc.

Yesterday we did get some wood molding. It was pretty cheap, and
it will also be treated before it is used.

Another "covering" possibility is to grout in the area then have someone
paint a decorative border over it and a portion of the tiles.

Well, that may work in some instances, but I guess we'll try the
wood first.

Thanks!

--
Jean B.