Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fix one broken spanish roof tile

1930s spanish roof tiles, one broken from a tree branch or something,
letting in a littl rain.

Me, not entirely a newbie home repair guy, but close.

Is there some halfway reasonable way to stick this back in place, or
if not, what are the odds that even a roofing pro would be able to do
much better?

I took a tour of the local Home Depot looking for some kind of
adhesive mortar, they had what I think was a 25lb box that I don't see
online, but it was something like this quickcrete:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Would something like that be appropriate? And is applying something
like that really so nasty (reading the instructions) that gloves
should be worn, eye protection, and sacrificial work clothes? I just
need a quart or so of the stuff, after all.

Or would some kind of exterior calking both stick the tile back
together and hold it in place in a workable fashion for the next, oh,
ten years or so? Assuming nobody is walking on it, and I don't let
the tree branches grow back there either?

Thanks for any and all advice.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:27:56 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

JRStern wrote:
1930s spanish roof tiles, one broken from a tree branch or something,
letting in a littl rain.

Me, not entirely a newbie home repair guy, but close.

Is there some halfway reasonable way to stick this back in place, or
if not, what are the odds that even a roofing pro would be able to do
much better?

True Spanish tile? Clay with a "U" shaped one and two upside down "U"s with
the legs in the first?

Surely, even in the 30s, they used a membrane under the tiles (don't know,
asking)? If so and you are getting a leak, the membrane needs to be
repaired.

After repairing the membrane or if there is none (I have seen such) I'd
remove the broken tile and replace it with a new one.

I guess it's "true", and I think your description sounds like the
structure, and yes there's heavy tar paper underneath, but if that
broken tile has shifted again and some water got in, it may have
flowed who knows where before finding a hole in the tar paper, etc.

I'm sure replacing the tile in good order is best advice. I do notice
there are gobs of mortar sticking together other tiles, in a not
entirely clear pattern. Again, I presume it follows whatever was
common practice back then for a medium-sized Cecil Adams (architect,
Santa Monica and Long Beach, CA c. 1930) house.

But I'm still looking for a solution somewhere north of duct tape and
south of tearing up and rebuilding a whole section of roof and trying
to find matching replacement tiles.

Thanks.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

JRStern wrote:

But I'm still looking for a solution somewhere north of duct tape and
south of tearing up and rebuilding a whole section of roof and trying
to find matching replacement tiles.

What's the definition of "broken"? Shards or simply a crack?

Generally, if it's just cracked into two or three large pieces one can
manage to patch back together as sounds like has been done elsewhere.

I've used some of the hydraulic setting cements (very fine powder, no
grit so makes a nice paste) or, in a pinch, even construction adhesive.

Guessing in S CA somewhere, there likely is a roofer who specializes in
these that may have some suggestions for more permanent fixes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

dpb wrote in :

JRStern wrote:

But I'm still looking for a solution somewhere north of duct tape and
south of tearing up and rebuilding a whole section of roof and trying
to find matching replacement tiles.

What's the definition of "broken"? Shards or simply a crack?

Generally, if it's just cracked into two or three large pieces one can
manage to patch back together as sounds like has been done elsewhere.

I've used some of the hydraulic setting cements (very fine powder, no
grit so makes a nice paste) or, in a pinch, even construction adhesive.

Guessing in S CA somewhere, there likely is a roofer who specializes in
these that may have some suggestions for more permanent fixes.

Not sure what your spanish roof tiles are exactly, but I would think that
"regular" terracotta type fired clay roof tiles should be available in a
matching color. If the system is similar to the Dutch system of 50 years
ago, they are simply placed on slats nailed to the roof. Nowadays, with
tarpaper or something akin between roof and tiles, and with
/breathing/ventilated insulation below the wood part of the roof.

Good luck!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:49:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

JRStern wrote:

But I'm still looking for a solution somewhere north of duct tape and
south of tearing up and rebuilding a whole section of roof and trying
to find matching replacement tiles.

What's the definition of "broken"? Shards or simply a crack?

Generally, if it's just cracked into two or three large pieces one can
manage to patch back together as sounds like has been done elsewhere.

Just two pieces.

I've used some of the hydraulic setting cements (very fine powder, no
grit so makes a nice paste) or, in a pinch, even construction adhesive.

Good, I'm going up to take another look, but maybe it's really that
simple. Thanks.

Guessing in S CA somewhere, there likely is a roofer who specializes in
these that may have some suggestions for more permanent fixes.

Sure, if I can't fix it for under $20, but even then it's best if I
understand what some simple options might be, before talking to a pro.

J.