Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stain Andersen Patio doors

I intend to buy and install Andersen Sliding Patio doors. My
understanding the doors are unstained unfinished pine interior that is
usually stained. Does it mean you have to mask the windows glass and
stain the door itself? Does the door have any interior trim?

I installed a dozen or so Andersen windows in my house. The window
itself is not stained as it is not exposed. I stain the trim that is
then attached to the window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message
I intend to buy and install Andersen Sliding Patio doors. My
understanding the doors are unstained unfinished pine interior that is
usually stained. Does it mean you have to mask the windows glass and
stain the door itself? Does the door have any interior trim?

I installed a dozen or so Andersen windows in my house. The window
itself is not stained as it is not exposed. I stain the trim that is
then attached to the window.

You don't have to stain. You do have to put some protection on bare wood.
Paint, varnish, bacon grease will work too. Depends on what you want it to
look like. After installing, you usually put trim that matches the rest of
the room. Some masking is probably involved too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 05:14:42 -0700 (PDT), ls02
wrote:

My
understanding the doors are unstained unfinished pine interior that is
usually stained.

The instructions in the box will tell you, there is a section that
covers this, I think. There may also be a time limit mentioned, so as
to prevent loss of warrantee, moisture damage, etc...
Look on the Andersen site for a installation PDF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 7:14*am, ls02 wrote:
I intend to buy and install Andersen Sliding Patio doors. My
understanding the doors are unstained unfinished pine interior that is
usually stained. Does it mean you have to mask the windows glass and
stain the door itself? Does the door have any interior trim?

I installed a dozen or so Andersen windows in my house. The window
itself is not stained as it is not exposed. I stain the trim that is
then attached to the window.

Any stain on the glass comes off with a razor blade, its quicker than
taping, but be real sure to use a Pre Stain, pine will stain blotchy
without it and look like crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I installed one of these in 2007. I left the pine unstained and just put
poly on it. I masked the glass. I did this before I installed the door HW.

I am quite pleased with the results.

I highly recommend the door, too.

I believe the instructions say not to use anything abrasive on the glass,
such as a razor blade.

"ls02" wrote in message
I intend to buy and install Andersen Sliding Patio doors. My
understanding the doors are unstained unfinished pine interior that is
usually stained. Does it mean you have to mask the windows glass and
stain the door itself? Does the door have any interior trim?

I installed a dozen or so Andersen windows in my house. The window
itself is not stained as it is not exposed. I stain the trim that is
then attached to the window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message

I intend to buy and install Andersen Sliding Patio doors. My
understanding the doors are unstained unfinished pine interior that is
usually stained. Does it mean you have to mask the windows glass and
stain the door itself? Does the door have any interior trim?

I installed a dozen or so Andersen windows in my house. The window
itself is not stained as it is not exposed. I stain the trim that is
then attached to the window.- Hide quoted text -

If you razor blade the stain off, keep the blade almost parallel to
the glass to avoid scratching it.