Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Andersen patio door problem

Over last summer I had my patio doors replaced with a pair of Andersen
patio sliding doors.

Everything seemed fine till the winter set in. At first I noticed that
there seemed to be a slight draft of air I could feel right at the
vertical overlap of the fixed panel and the moving panel. The draft is
only felt for the first foot or so from the floor - the rest of the
overlap seems fine. I also started to notice condensation on the
horizontal frame along the bottom length of the sliding panel.

We had a pretty cold winter this year and during some of the real cold
phases, I had quite an accumulation of ice along the overlap as well
as the frame along the bottom.

The contractor who installed it came over and tried to fiddle with the
door but it did not help. I'm having Andersen come over to take a look
at it.. but its a $132 to come take a look. If anyone has any ideas
I'd sure appreciate it - it might save me a chunk of change.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 1, 1:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

Somebody might owe you something. You paid for a quality door and
competent installation and apparently don't have one or the other. Dig
out your written contract and review the terms and if one party or the
other becomes stubborn, get legal help. Odds are it is an issue with
the structure itself, so you may have to spend time with the installer
to work out a reasonable compromise. If he made an honest mistake, cut
him some slack and don't try to punish him for it. First priority is
getting the job fixed right, secondly, getting everyone on the same
page for responsibility and sharing the cost of corrections. Good
luck.

Joe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 1:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

I thought it was 132 if its an installer mistake and Free if it is a
defect, contact Anderson again, my issue was installer error but for
free I was sent gaskets and trim. They will likely work with you
fairly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 13:46:24 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Feb 1, 1:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

The OP has Andersen windows. Anderson may be another brand?

A poor install, of an Andersen door may likely void a warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ive installed tons of these doors and have never had this problem. This is
an installer mistake. That felt should run all the way from top and bottom.
And these doors are the best in my opinion. Matter of fact I have pics on
my website of some that I have installed.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"