Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Andersen Windows Problem: Breeze Still Coming Thru

Hello:

Have just had a few Andersen Series 400 double hung tilt-wash Woodwright
replacement windows installed.

As far as I could tell by watching, the Contractor "seemed" to do a quite
good job installing them. Lots of care caulking, etc.

However, there is still a breeze coming thru on all of them, somewhere,
around them.

Just about impossible to tell exactly from where, though.

Was wondering:

- have any of you folks had similar problems like this ?

- e.g., might it be due to the fact that there is a distinct gap where the
bottom window fits into its frame (I'm not sure of the exact terminology),
undoubtedly to allow the window to easily tilt without scraping. All the
windows like this that I've seen at HD also have this gap.

However, there seems to be a good "baffle" and some kind of labyrinth vinyl
weatherstripping behind the gap.

Am asking, as I'd sure like to learn what might be the problem, any similar
history of this kind of thing happening, etc., prior to calling the
contractor back and making a big fuss.

Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 4:11 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

Call Anderson and complain , did you pay they guy, stop payment now.
If the problem is the windows the Anderson rep will be free, if not it
will be a small charge to see how much was done wrong. I had a bad
install and the rep came out. For example sliding doors cannot be
installed more than 1/8" out of Plumb, Level or Square or your
warranty is void from day 1. It could be the hack installed yours so
you have no warranty now and forever. Anderson will help they want
their products to last. Did you buy the windows or did the installer,
was he a Anderson rep. On my install al the windows on the whole house
leaked then I called the company to find the cause, my mistake was
waiting to long to stop pay on the check. The instaler sounds like a
hack, call Anderson second, after you call your bank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:11:55 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Have just had a few Andersen Series 400 double hung tilt-wash Woodwright
replacement windows installed.

As far as I could tell by watching, the Contractor "seemed" to do a quite
good job installing them. Lots of care caulking, etc.

The exterior, right - with flashing?

However, there is still a breeze coming thru on all of them, somewhere,
around them.

It sounds like a draft to me. How thick is this wall/RO ? My exterior
walls have 2X6 walls, plus...

Just about impossible to tell exactly from where, though.

Was wondering:

- have any of you folks had similar problems like this ?

I've had drafty windows due to an install. Remove the interior trim to
find no jamb or RO insulation at all. Fixed and buttoned up.

- e.g., might it be due to the fact that there is a distinct gap where the
bottom window fits into its frame (I'm not sure of the exact terminology),
undoubtedly to allow the window to easily tilt without scraping. All the
windows like this that I've seen at HD also have this gap.

However, there seems to be a good "baffle" and some kind of labyrinth vinyl
weatherstripping behind the gap.

Am asking, as I'd sure like to learn what might be the problem, any similar
history of this kind of thing happening, etc., prior to calling the
contractor back and making a big fuss.

Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Can the installer/boss daddy tell you if they insulated between the
window frame and the RO? Before he trimmed the inside.

--
Oren