Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't remove this

I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in them.
What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message

I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in them.
What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Wing

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized user,
you get the screw driver tips that fit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"desgnr" wrote in message

I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in
them.
What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints:
---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wait till they get to the store, and see if the HF demands
authorization.....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"desgnr" wrote in message

I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves
in
them.
What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints:
---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:31:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized user, you get the
screw driver tips that fit.

Reminded me of the old light swtich / outlet cover ones - we've got a few
in our place, three cuts across the head, and a slight circular indent in
the center. The cuts are shallow and u-shaped and don't take a
screwdriver well.

I've never had one stick in that particular situation, but I usually
replace oddball screws/bolts with something more common as/when I find
them (I hate "tamper proof" crap).

A hacksaw blade in one of the grooves would probably square it off and
deepen it enough to just get a flat-bladed screwdriver in - then ditch it
and replace it with something sane...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message

I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves
in
them.
What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints:

Somehow, I just don't see HF worrying about "authorization" to buy a
screwdriver bit set.

You can also get them on eBay and none of the auctions say anything
about authorization.

Sure, it's *possible* that once you order, you might be "stopped". Out
of curiousity, I just sent an email to an eBay seller asking if any
type of "authorization" is reuired to purchase security bits.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 10:33*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:31:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized user, you get the
screw driver tips that fit.

Reminded me of the old light swtich / outlet cover ones - we've got a few
in our place, three cuts across the head, and a slight circular indent in
the center. The cuts are shallow and u-shaped and don't take a
screwdriver well.

I've never had one stick in that particular situation, but I usually *
replace oddball screws/bolts with something more common as/when I find
them (I hate "tamper proof" crap).

A hacksaw blade in one of the grooves would probably square it off and
deepen it enough to just get a flat-bladed screwdriver in - then ditch it
and replace it with something sane...

cheers

Jules

That's what I would typically do also, but my guess is that the OP's
screws are in a "hole" and not accessible with a hacksaw blade.

I just did a quick interweb search and it seems that all of the bits
available are "long reach" bits like the ones at the HF site, implying
recessed screws in most, if not all, cases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized user,
you get the screw driver tips that fit.

Don't be ridiculous. You can walk into any Ace Hardware or Harbor Freight, lay
your money down, and walk out with a full set of security driver tips.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wait till they get to the store, and see if the HF demands
authorization.....

Let's follow this thinking through...

Who would be authorized?

And how would someone prove they were authorized?

FYI - I used to work for an electronics "factory authorized dealer" repair
facility. And I had to buy my own tools. I had NOTHING which said I worked
there except for business cards. I had pay check stubs, but the name of the
company on these was just a generic name. Even the owner of this company
would not have had anything to show he was an authorized dealer except his
business cards, the sign out front, and maybe a 30 page dealership contract.
Anyone can print a business card on their computer.

Then I also used to work in a hardware store when I was in high school. I
NEVER remember being told to NOT sell anything we sold to certain persons!
As a matter of fact, the store was having money problems and they wanted us
to try to sell MORE stuff to people!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized user,
you get the screw driver tips that fit.

And you need to know the secret hand-shake. There maybe a decoder ring
involved too

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message

No need for being an authorized user. Harbor Freight has these and others.

I have that set -- ackshooly the 100 pc set, on sale at $5 or so -- bought
4.
I don't recall seeing the triwing in there, altho I could have missed it.

Handy set, overall.

Long-nosed vise grips are handy too!
--
EA

"desgnr" wrote in message

I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in
them.
What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints:
---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
:
: I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in them.
: What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
: --
: Dell Inspiron
: Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
: 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

They're part of Vista SP1. Upgrade to Windows 7 and you won't have the
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paper or plastic? Fries with that? And, here's some coupons
for the deep discount sale next week.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:26:06 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Wait till they get to the store, and see if the HF demands
authorization.....

Their only question will be, "How many sets would you like?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you. I am curious to hear back what the reply is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Somehow, I just don't see HF worrying about "authorization"
to buy a
screwdriver bit set.

You can also get them on eBay and none of the auctions say
anything
about authorization.

Sure, it's *possible* that once you order, you might be
"stopped". Out
of curiousity, I just sent an email to an eBay seller asking
if any
type of "authorization" is reuired to purchase security
bits.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't remove this / do not duplicate

I worked at a key place, in about 1984. Maybe 1985. Anyhow,
the boss said that simple posession of the key was proof
that a copy was permitted. It has been a while. I did ask
about keys stamped DND. I think his official instruction
was: "I don't care if the key says they will twist off your
nuts if you copy the key, make the duplicate".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Walk into just about any hardware store and hand them a key
that is
clearly stamped, "DO NOT DUPLICATE" and ask them to make 5
copies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe. I can't comment on that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JimT" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized
user,
you get the screw driver tips that fit.

And you need to know the secret hand-shake. There maybe a
decoder ring
involved too

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get Linux, and you can have totally screw driver proof
screws.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JawBone" wrote in message

"desgnr" wrote in message
:
: I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves
in them.
: What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
: --
: Dell Inspiron
: Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
: 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

They're part of Vista SP1. Upgrade to Windows 7 and you
won't have the
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Walk into just about any hardware store and hand them a key
that is
clearly stamped, "DO NOT DUPLICATE" and ask them to make 5
copies.

"Anyhow, the boss said that simple possession of the key was proof
that a copy was permitted."

You do realize how ridiculous that statement is, right?

What would be the point of marking them Do Not Duplicate if anyone who
was in possession of them was automatically authorized to have them
duplicated? Are you supposed to mark them Do Not Duplicate and then
put them a drawer? I guess you wouldn't have to mark them if you were
going to do that, would you?

Granted, you, I and anyone with half a brain knows that actually
getting them duplicated is not going to be a problem, but that doesn't
make you boss's statement right.

At best, the marking of the keys *might* give the actual owner of the
keys the right to discipline/fire the person who had the keys
duplicated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 4:53*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Thank you. I am curious to hear back what the reply is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Somehow, I just don't see HF worrying about "authorization"
to buy a
screwdriver bit set.

You can also get them on eBay and none of the auctions say
anything
about authorization.

Sure, it's *possible* that once you order, you might be
"stopped". Out
of curiousity, I just sent an email to an eBay seller asking
if any
type of "authorization" is reuired to purchase security
bits.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Hear ya go...

hello derbydad03
well i been selling this item already in diff web site they never had
ask me that before i think are available to the general public.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anyhow, the boss said that simple possession of the key
was proof
that a copy was permitted."

You do realize how ridiculous that statement is, right?

CY: yes, that's been on my mind for a few years.

What would be the point of marking them Do Not Duplicate if
anyone who
was in possession of them was automatically authorized to
have them
duplicated?

CY: But of course, the DND key is "supposed" to allow the
boss to hand out a key, get it back, and be fairly sure
there are no dups out there.

Are you supposed to mark them Do Not Duplicate and then
put them a drawer? I guess you wouldn't have to mark them if
you were
going to do that, would you?

CY: or simply not issue the keys to employees.

Granted, you, I and anyone with half a brain knows that
actually
getting them duplicated is not going to be a problem, but
that doesn't
make you boss's statement right.

CY: Right, the boss was looking at his own income, not
looking at the customer's best interests.

At best, the marking of the keys *might* give the actual
owner of the
keys the right to discipline/fire the person who had the
keys
duplicated.

CY: That's a thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 9:31*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized user,
you get the screw driver tips that fit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org

I add my support to the claims of no authorization
required to obtain Tri-Wing bits and screws...

They are NO LONGER considered security screws,
they are however an improvement to vandal resistance
over standard slotted, Phillips, Torx, Allen and Robertson
fasteners... Even the screws and bits with the "security"
shafts in them are no longer considered security...

If you are looking for something truly secure and of
limited distribution then try this company --
Bryce Fastener of Gilbert, Arizona...
http://www.brycefastener.com/

They offer true security fastener products...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. that makes good reading. Sounded a bit uncertain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I'll let you know what I hear.

Hear ya go...

hello derbydad03
well i been selling this item already in diff web site they
never had
ask me that before i think are available to the general
public.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, THAT looks good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan" wrote in message

If you are looking for something truly secure and of
limited distribution then try this company --
Bryce Fastener of Gilbert, Arizona...
http://www.brycefastener.com/

They offer true security fastener products...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2010 10:53 AM Existential Angst spake thus:

"Charlie" wrote in message

No need for being an authorized user. Harbor Freight has these and others.

I have that set -- ackshooly the 100 pc set, on sale at $5 or so -- bought
4.
I don't recall seeing the triwing in there, altho I could have missed it.

I have the same set from HF. It has two different tri-wing bits in it,
so the OP can probably remove those screws with it.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 6:29*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Now, THAT looks good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan" wrote in message

If you are looking for something truly secure and of
limited distribution then try this company --
Bryce Fastener of Gilbert, Arizona...http://www.brycefastener.com/

They offer true security fastener products...

~~ Evan

Yup... Good but expensive... We had issues with people
trying to disassemble doors and locks on the loading docks
and the panels inside an elevator cab to try and access
unauthorized area for a mall I used to work at...

A few thousand of these bolts in several sizes and three
different bit sizes to install and remove them and no one
could take any of the trim plates off the mortise locksets
to unlock them using the stopworks under the trim piece...

Although you can use these screws with a screw gun I
would not recommend it, as you can FUBAR the bit a lot
easier and often times you are using the fasteners on
delicate things you wouldn't want to use a screw gun on
in the first place like door lock trim coverplate pieces,
coverplate screws on electrical boxes and the like...

If you don't want to buy into something that is totally
unique to you, the Penta-Plus fasteners are definitely
a step up from anything that claims to be a "security"
fastener...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

.com...

"Charlie" wrote in message

No need for being an authorized user. Harbor Freight has these and
others.

I have that set -- ackshooly the 100 pc set, on sale at $5 or so --
bought 4.
I don't recall seeing the triwing in there, altho I could have missed it.

I have the same set from HF. It has two different tri-wing bits in it, so
the OP can probably remove those screws with it.

Heh.... I feel better now!
--
EA

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2010 8:21 PM Evan spake thus:

If you don't want to buy into something that is totally
unique to you, the Penta-Plus fasteners are definitely
a step up from anything that claims to be a "security"
fastener...

Heh; "Penta-Plus" reminds me of those 5-sided boltheads on top of fire
hydrants that apparently can only be loosened with a pentagonal wrench
the fire dep't. carries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 9:08*am, wrote:
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 20:21:03 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:29*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Now, THAT looks good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan" wrote in message

If you are looking for something truly secure and of
limited distribution then try this company --
Bryce Fastener of Gilbert, Arizona...http://www.brycefastener.com/

They offer true security fastener products...

~~ Evan

Yup... *Good but expensive... *We had issues with people
trying to disassemble doors and locks on the loading docks
and the panels inside an elevator cab to try and access
unauthorized area for a mall I used to work at...

A few thousand of these bolts in several sizes and three
different bit sizes to install and remove them and no one
could take any of the trim plates off the mortise locksets
to unlock them using the stopworks under the trim piece...

~~ Evan

You really don't need to use them for every single fastener. Just
enough of them among the regular fasteners to prevent dissassembly.

Incorrect... If you only used one in a situation where two or
three fasteners are required, you would encounter a
damaged and vandalized device where the normal fasteners
were removed and the individual seeking unauthorized
entry has tried to pry the panel enclosure loose after
unscrewing what they could... If they can not remove
ANY fasteners they will have to use brute force
methods to gain entry that will be readily apparent...

The cost of repairing and replacing the damaged
equipment is usually much greater than the cost of
$2-ish per fastener to secure it using the security
fasteners...

The point behind using security fasteners is to
NOT allow people to put something back together
after they have taken it apart to covertly access
something...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:29 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Now, THAT looks good.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
"Evan" wrote in message
[...]

Not to mention, to intimidate them into not even trying, and going
elsewhere. Anti-vandal fasteners will at best slow down a professional
thief. But professional thiefs are rare. Much more common is an idiot
kid or druggie, and if all the fasteners don't match any of the three
tools they brought with them, they may decide that if they can't get in
quietly, it isn't worth the trouble or risk.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

The DND keys I have seen (and have several on my keyring) are all blank
styles a hardware store is unlikely to have. (Russwin
something-or-other, in the case of the building where I work.) Any local
locksmith that has the blanks in stock knows damn well where the key
came from, and will tell you NO. I suppose if I went a couple towns
away, and spun a line of bull, I could get them copied, but it is hardly
worth the trouble. If there is ever a door I need to open, and my keys
won't do it, I just get the on-duty rent-a-cop up there with his keyring
to do it. He can log my name and the time and date all he wants.

I'm pretty sure the trade association code of ethics for locksmiths
includes something about not making keys if they have reason to doubt
the story of the person bringing the original key in. And if not them,
all it would take is one or two documented incidents for his bonding
company to cancel him out, even if they didn't have to pay out any
money. For a locksmith with regular customers with lots of locks that
need to be worked on regularly, getting a reputation as somebody who
sells bootleg keys could quickly put you out of business. Erring on the
side of caution is only sensible.

--
aem sends...

Too remove or not remove rubbery floor glue? Tim S UK diy 5 March 22nd 09 10:01 PM
How to Remove This Dottie Home Repair 7 January 16th 08 04:17 PM
How do I remove this faucet? [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 14th 07 02:20 AM
Old tile - To remove or not to remove... rb608 Home Repair 3 July 12th 06 04:06 AM
how to remove....??? Tom Woodman Woodworking 3 February 16th 06 04:52 PM