Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Remove This

I put up heavy plastic panels on my windows during hurricane season
using 3M's Dual Lock fasteners. They worked fine but I now have
aluminum shutters and don't need the plastic anymore. Getting the
fasteners off has been hard. The fastener comes off but leaves a
thick goo. I have tried paint thinner, acetone, Goo Be Gone. and
gasoline...they help a little but it's still very hard. Does anyone
know what I can use to make this easier? Thanks.
(I did call 3M and was told they make a goop remover but it's not
available locally and it comes in large industrial size containers.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 15, 8:30*pm, "Roemax" wrote:
wd 40"Dottie" wrote in message

I put up heavy plastic panels on my windows during hurricane season
using 3M's Dual Lock fasteners. *They worked fine but I now have
aluminum shutters and don't need the plastic anymore. *Getting the
fasteners off has been hard. *The fastener comes off but leaves a
thick goo. *I have tried paint thinner, acetone, Goo Be Gone. and
gasoline...they help a little but it's still very hard. *Does anyone
know what I can use to make this easier? *Thanks.
(I did call 3M and was told they make a goop remover but it's not
available locally and it comes in large industrial size containers.)- Hide quoted text -

spray 9
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 15, 7:20*pm, jim wrote:
On Jan 15, 8:30*pm, "Roemax" wrote:

wd 40"Dottie" wrote in message

I put up heavy plastic panels on my windows during hurricane season
using 3M's Dual Lock fasteners. *They worked fine but I now have
aluminum shutters and don't need the plastic anymore. *Getting the
fasteners off has been hard. *The fastener comes off but leaves a
thick goo. *I have tried paint thinner, acetone, Goo Be Gone. and
gasoline...they help a little but it's still very hard. *Does anyone
know what I can use to make this easier? *Thanks.
(I did call 3M and was told they make a goop remover but it's not
available locally and it comes in large industrial size containers.)- Hide quoted text -

spray 9- Hide quoted text -

Wd 40 works on most things IMO

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 15, 1:05*pm, Dottie wrote:
I put up heavy plastic panels on my windows during hurricane season
using 3M's Dual Lock fasteners. *They worked fine but I now have
aluminum shutters and don't need the plastic anymore. *Getting the
fasteners off has been hard. *The fastener comes off but leaves a
thick goo. *I have tried paint thinner, acetone, Goo Be Gone. and
gasoline...they help a little but it's still very hard. *Does anyone
know what I can use to make this easier? *Thanks.
(I did call 3M and was told they make a goop remover but it's not
available locally and it comes in large industrial size containers.)

Try a local autobody shop supplier that handles 3M products (most all
do). They will have convenient quantities of 3M adhesive remover that
ought to do the trick. Give the stuff ample time to soften the glue
before scraping. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message
.128...
Dottie wrote on 15 Jan 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

I put up heavy plastic panels on my windows during hurricane season
using 3M's Dual Lock fasteners. They worked fine but I now have
aluminum shutters and don't need the plastic anymore. Getting the
fasteners off has been hard. The fastener comes off but leaves a
thick goo. I have tried paint thinner, acetone, Goo Be Gone. and
gasoline...they help a little but it's still very hard. Does anyone
know what I can use to make this easier? Thanks.
(I did call 3M and was told they make a goop remover but it's not
available locally and it comes in large industrial size containers.)

Sounds like it's time to break out the sander. If you still have some of
the paint, just touch up when you're done. If you don't have the paint,
things become more problematic.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Email the following person. He is an expert on 3M adhesive removal.

Old tile - To remove or not to remove... rb608 Home Repair 3 July 12th 06 04:06 AM
how to remove....??? Tom Woodman Woodworking 3 February 16th 06 04:52 PM
How do you remove Mastic Nospam Home Repair 3 February 1st 06 10:50 PM
how to remove ceiling box problemchild Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 05:11 PM
How to remove bark Chris van Aar Woodturning 5 April 11th 05 10:26 PM