Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kinda OT- Getting Good Neighbors

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 12:26*pm, mike wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. *)

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Sounds like you have no where to go but up :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

What are your ideas?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Those would have been my suggestions.

The only other thing I can think of is if you know of people you like who
are looking to buy, or relatives, etc, and letting them know.

Other than that, itsa crap shoot. Someone said it seems you can only go up,
and I would say, PRAY that this is so.

One thing I might suggest is, if you haven't put a fence up already -- the
tallest thickest effing fence your code will allow -- do so NOW, as this
transition period is the "politically easiest" time. Man, am I kicking
myself.....

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"mike" wrote in message
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

A good buyer does not always a good neighbor make.

i'm not sure how you'd attract the kind of person you're looking for. It's
generally a crapshoot. People can appear one way, then you get to know them
and.... well, you know.

As another poster said, sounds like you're nearly guaranteed to improve on
the current situation.

Now if I could just get *my* crappy neighbor to sell...

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2010 12:26 PM, mike wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Hate to tell you about an old neighbor's theory but the house begets the
owner, i.e. crappy neighbor now, another crappy neighbor later.
From what I have seen with my limited experience, he is right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 10:07*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. *)

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Those would have been my suggestions. *

The only other thing I can think of is if you know of people you like who
are looking to buy, or relatives, etc, and letting them know.

Other than that, itsa crap shoot. *Someone said it seems you can only go up,
and I would say, PRAY that this is so.

One thing I might suggest is, if you haven't put a fence up already -- the
tallest thickest effing fence your code will allow -- do so NOW, as this
transition period is the "politically easiest" time. * *Man, am I kicking
myself.....

--
EA

I hear ya on the fence. It's in need of refurbishment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 9:55*am, "Master Betty" wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. *)

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

What are your ideas?

Jim

Word of mouth with people I know are decent people (and no criminal
record, like the current neighbor). I was thinking of bribes and
offers to do fix-ups pro-bono.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 12:26*pm, mike wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. *)

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Abraham Lincoln's father supposedly said, "when you can see the smoke
from your neighbor's chimney, its time to move."

Joe G
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

My sister always makes a point of hanging around when prospective
buyers come to view a neighboring property, so she can size them up.
If they make a good impression on her, she introduces herself and
chats with them a while, telling them about the neighborhood and its
advantages. She's had buyers tell her afterwards how much they
appreciated having a friendly neighbor fill them in on what the
neighborhood was like, since a good neighborhood is as important as a
good house.

If she thinks she wouldn't want them as neighbors, she tries to gently
discourage them with a few not-quite-true stories. She might claim the
street gets a lot of traffic and the problem with woods out back is
that it's a teen haven for drinking and drugging. If she thinks
they're troublemakers, she'll off-handedly mention a cop lives down
the street, and everybody tries not to do anything to annoy him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 11:19*am, Hell Toupee wrote:
out back is
.... If she thinks
they're troublemakers, she'll off-handedly mention a cop lives down
the street, and everybody tries not to do anything to annoy him.

That's pretty funny... and probably effective!

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Tell your friends about the place and ask them to tell their friends
....people whom you regard well should have like-minded acquaintances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 11:45*am, "
wrote:
mike wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. *)

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Tell your friends about the place and ask them to tell their friends
...people whom you regard well should have like-minded acquaintances.

Yeah, maybe I should carry fliers on me at all times to hand out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 11:58*am, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:26:48 -0700 (PDT), mike

wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. *)

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Be doing whatever you want the buyer to tolerate when they show the
house.

I just want them to be regular people without a criminal record. To
give you an idea of the seller, they have a rap sheet so long, the
stack of paper is almost as big as the ObamaCare bill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Why don't they just inflate the tires, hook it up to their pick-em-up
truck, and take it with them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clever. Very well done.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hell Toupee"
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Are you sure they were the crappy neighbors and not you...JUST
KIDDING..LOL...In this market and as tight as credit is only those with VERY
good credit will be getting a loan to buy which should help...If it is like
it is around here they will be lucky if it does sell..If it was a
foreclosure then all bets are off..It will be sold at auction to a house
flipper...Unlike a couple of years ago when they were throwing money at
everyone including those who had no business owning a home...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 1:41*pm, "benick" wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. *)

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Are you sure they were the crappy neighbors and not you...JUST
KIDDING..LOL...In this market and as tight as credit is only those with VERY
good credit will be getting a loan to buy which should help...If it is like
it is around here they will be lucky if it does sell..If it was a
foreclosure then all bets are off..It will be sold at auction to a house
flipper...Unlike a couple of years ago when they were throwing money at
everyone including those who had no business owning a home...HTH...

No, it doesn't look like a foreclosure to me. That's what happened
last time & the place was vacant for an extended period (which is
better than bad neighbors). I definitely want the place to sell as
soon as possible just so they don't change their mind. The wife will
not be happy if the current neighbors hang around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 1:41 pm, "benick" wrote:

[...]

Not much is selling around here , of course YMMV...Good luck...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"benick" wrote:

soon as possible just so they don't change their mind. The wife will
not be happy if the current neighbors hang around.

And Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy (g).

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

What are your ideas?

Jim

Word of mouth with people I know are decent people (and no criminal
record, like the current neighbor). I was thinking of bribes and
offers to do fix-ups pro-bono.

======

I think you're at the mercy of chance. If you live in a dumpy neighborhood
you're likely to get dumpy neighbors. Personally, I try to keep my property
well maintained and hopefully set a good example. Good luck.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stepfann King" wrote in message
Most people turn out to be crap.

Which is why it's great to be very far away from the "neighbors". I've lived
here 25 years and except for the guy next door and the couple across the
street (the houses I can see in the summer) I couldn't tell you the names of
anyone on this block. Of course, the "block" is over a mile long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"GROVER" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 12:26 pm, mike wrote:

Abraham Lincoln's father supposedly said, "when you can see the smoke
from your neighbor's chimney, its time to move."

Excellent. I can see many of my neighbor's houses in winter, but only 1-2
in the summer because of all the trees. Just the way I like it.

Same here..I love it that way...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:24:52 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 1:41 pm, "benick" wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

[...]

Around here, houses are still moving well - and sometimes above
listed price. Up almost 20% over last year, and things never really
went down.
Unemployment is pushing 10% locally - which is very high for this area
- we lost a lot of manufacturing jobs over the last 10 years, but the
high tech sector is holding its own very well.

Waterloo Ontario.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:42:21 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

mike wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

One word: Cookies.

Jon

Fresh baked oatmeal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stepfann King" wrote in message
Most people turn out to be crap.

Most of my neighbors are fantastic but it seems, here in Austin, there is
always one who fits that discription. In Albuquerque I had the same
immediate neighbors for 10 years and they were all pretty cool. Now I've got
my "crap" neighbor pretty much under control now. Good enough so that I
don't want him to move anymore. He doesn't have a barking dog, and that's a
big plus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote the following:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

You have no control on what neighbors you want, or what you can do to
attract 'good' neighbors, unless you own the house in question, as you
have suggested.
The best suggestion I can offer is for you to move to a house where the
existing neighbors meet your expectations.
I have no vacant houses in my neighborhood for you to consider, but I am
the perfect neighbor. I don't bother anyone, and my only child living at
home is my daughter who is 29 years old and working for a mortgage
company. She is hardly home and spends a lot of nights in NJ where her
job is. I will gladly lend anything I have, get up in the middle of the
night to aid a neighbor, plow their driveways for free when they are not
home, drive them anywhere when no other transportation is available, and
invite them to all BBQs or festivities I am having.
I do draw the line at lending money tho. That can kill the good neighbor
relationship. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

You may want your neighbor's house to sell at a higher price. You can
make your lawn and house neat and tidy. I dont really think you have
any control at all who buys the house. My solution for crappy
neighbors is to look the other way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

You may want your neighbor's house to sell at a higher price. You can
make your lawn and house neat and tidy. I dont really think you have
any control at all who buys the house. My solution for crappy
neighbors is to look the other way.

If they're really bad, sell your house and move. You have no control over
any of it anyway, you might have the best neighbors in the world, but you're
always just one "heart attack" away from not having them anymore, and then
the new ones come, like it or not.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
mike wrote the following:
[...]

Send me your addy', I'm moving.

Well, I'll soon be departing the condo-from-hell and almost anywhere I
lived in the past would be a vast improvement. I won't borrow anything
but would appreciate help moving stuff I can't move alone...fair cook,
make very decent apple pie ) My kids own their own homes, so they
won't be moving in with me. Step-son will replace me; in his fifth year
at college with no end in sight (30 y/o).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/10 9:26 AM, mike wrote:
A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

Don't worry, I just double checked and the worst neighbours in the world
(who happen to live next door to us) do not have a for sale sign up - so
I think you are safe for now!

I can't tell you how many times a year I have had to go in to work on
less than an hours sleep (usually on the day I had to do payroll for
over 200 employees, while managing the store).

Out door speakers in the back yard, burning yard waste in a city with
burning ban, that has curbside pickup for yard waste.

On a plus side... they put in a satellite dish over the winter and it
looks like the tree in my front yard might be in its line of sight once
the leaves come out... If not does anyone know of a good fertilizer for
a tree?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. )

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

What are your ideas?

Jim

Word of mouth with people I know are decent people (and no criminal
record, like the current neighbor). *I was thinking of bribes and
offers to do fix-ups pro-bono.

======

I think you're at the mercy of chance. If you live in a dumpy neighborhood
you're likely to get dumpy neighbors. Personally, I try to keep my property
well maintained and hopefully set a good example. Good luck.

Jim

I live in a great neighborhood, but there is an increasing trend of
low-lifes relocating to nice neighborhoods to avoid police detection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Johnie Kanuc" wrote in message
On 3/31/10 9:26 AM, mike wrote:
[...]

Holy ****.... *my* house would be up for sale, proly by the bank, cuz I'd
be in jail.....

This is a thread in itself: How would other people deal with this??

Altho I generally have not had good expeiences with any government, you
might find a city councilperson with a sympathetic ear -- and mebbe a police
chief -- who will pass/enforce more/stronger ordinances regarding low-class
crap like outdoor speakers, wind chimes, and the rest.

Yeah, wind chimes -- your windchime is not MY windchime.... go figger....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. *)

I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open
the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming
a landlord or reselling it.

You may want your neighbor's house to sell at a higher price. *You can
make your lawn and house neat and tidy. *I dont really think you have
any control at all who buys the house. *My solution for crappy
neighbors is to look the other way.

If they're really bad, sell your house and move. You have no control over
any of it anyway, you might have the best neighbors in the world, but you're
always just one "heart attack" away from not having them anymore, and then
the new ones come, like it or not.

Cheri

What's going on here with some of the responses? Why would I sell and
move away when MY ONE CRAPPY NEIGHBOR IN AN OTHERWISE GREAT
NEIGHBORHOOD IS MOVING OUT?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

=======

It's a great neighborhood until unforseen things happen, and your good
neighbors move out, and others move in. The point of the responses is that
YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER YOUR NEIGHBORS. Did you ever think that the "CRAPPY
NEIGHBOR" is selling to get away from you?

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/10 9:26 AM, mike wrote:
[...]

For the speakers (noise ordinance?) and outdoor burning, call the cops.
Call them often enough and they will get ****ed and do something. If
the are ****ed and don't know the ordinances, they will make up
something or just go yell at the guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 8:55*am, "Cheri" wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

On Mar 31, 7:43 pm, "Cheri" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Cheri- Hide quoted text -

Cheri, I know you haven't been paying attention, so I'll repeat this
for you: My "crappy" neighbor has a criminal record as long as the
phone book, and it shows.

I, on the other hand, never make a peep, obey the laws, and keep my
place pristine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip
On a plus side... they put in a satellite dish over the winter and it
looks like the tree in my front yard might be in its line of sight once
the leaves come out... If not does anyone know of a good fertilizer for a
tree?

===================
Job's makes nutrient spikes for trees. You just drive them in with a
hammer. Sneaky!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

===========
I have been paying attention, especially since I am NOW in a neighborhood
that went from pristine, to a disaster as people died off or moved away and
others moved in. I have a drummer that cares nothing for what time he plays,
I have one right next to me now who never heard of yard work, one that has
cars parked on his lawn, and one that now has an ugly brown couch in his
front yard that has been rained on for the past several days and usually
beer cans in the front yard on Sunday. So...I AM MOVING AWAY after almost 20
years. My house looks very nice, and so does my yard, and one other house,
but that's it. I hope your neighborhood stays nice, but you really can't
control it. Good luck to you.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" wrote in message
"mike" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

It's an interesting notion, of what causes neighborhood decay. Is it part
of a bigger problem, is it premeditated/orchestrated by some powers-that-be,
or can one asshole start a domino effect?

Could Mike's new neighbors be that asshole? Possibly.
Which is why perhaps a talk with the real estate agent, getting the property
printouts to hand out might be one hedge.
If it's a multiple listing, several agents could have the property.

Loudspeakers/couches/cars/beer cans on a lawn are possibly the biggest
harbingers of impending disaster. One concerted and determined low-class
asshole really could destroy a neighborhood, via the domino effect.

Probably this is the one good thing about homeowners associations. Pick yer
poison, I spose.
Or move to Montana.
--
EA

Cheri

Odd Neighbors JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 8 May 30th 06 10:34 PM
Trees and Neighbors RichK Home Repair 7 April 29th 06 03:54 AM
What to do about bad neighbors mediate Home Ownership 0 January 27th 05 11:13 PM
Getting rid of the neighbors kids Red Neckerson Home Repair 11 September 8th 04 09:04 PM
Neighbors can be nice Kevin Woodturning 7 April 21st 04 12:58 PM