Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Insurance claim....

Awl --

As some of you may know, the NY, NJ area got clobbered by a windstorm last
week (75+ mph), after quite a snow storm a couple of weeks before. Damage
was extensive, thousands of trees blown down, some people without
electricity for a week. Imagine if the trees were fully leaved in the
summer....

So the insurance adjuster finally came today, and just left, after **3
hours**, doing a very detailed survey, inside and out -- much more detailed
than the roofing companies that came out -- and left me with a pile of
papers and a check, for about $10K, about half of that for branch damage to
the slate roof, the rest for inside water damage, A/C damage, other stuff.

The Q is:

What if the contractor prices come in, and exceed the insurance company
estimates?
What happens if damage is later encountered that the adjuster didn't see?
Recourse? How to handle? War stories??

As a DIY-er, I don't know much about "real" prices, but the wife is already
****ed, thinks it's way too low.
I guess it's reasonable to assume that the insurance company bias is to
lowball stuff.

And, I won't be DIY'ing most of this, that's f'sure, so any lowballing could
really hurt.

Appreciate all input.

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Usually when they offer that sort of thing they give you a form to sign
saying that you're paid up, and you're not going to make any further claims.

Did you sign it?

If no, then you can just go back to them.

If you did, then you have to go before a judge and jury, and explain how
it is that you're a smart guy _and_ you signed a contract that you
didn't understand.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/31/2010 11:54 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Seriously, what was the adjusters response when you asked him that
question? He/she is the one who left you with the pile of papers and a
check. What do the papers say? What instructions did the adjuster give
you? If you didn't ask you should be contacting them to ask for
clarification and how to proceed since they are your point of contact.

As a DIY-er, I don't know much about "real" prices, but the wife is already
****ed, thinks it's way too low.
I guess it's reasonable to assume that the insurance company bias is to
lowball stuff.

And, I won't be DIY'ing most of this, that's f'sure, so any lowballing could
really hurt.

Appreciate all input.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 31, 11:54*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
Awl --

As some of you may know, the NY, NJ area got clobbered by a windstorm last
week (75+ mph), after quite a snow storm a couple of weeks before. *Damage
was extensive, thousands of trees blown down, some people without
electricity for a week. *Imagine if the trees were fully leaved in the
summer....

So the insurance adjuster finally came today, and just left, after **3
hours**, doing a very detailed survey, inside and out -- much more detailed
than the roofing companies that came out -- and *left me with a pile of
papers and a check, *for about $10K, about half of that for branch damage to
the slate roof, the rest for inside water damage, A/C damage, other stuff..

First, make sure nothing on that check indicates that by cashing it
you agree that it is payment in full and also hopefully you didn't
sign anything to that effect. If you have any doubt, a quick consult
with a lawyer is in order.

The Q is:

What if the contractor prices come in, and exceed the insurance company
estimates?

Then the next step is you go back to the insurance company showing
them at least 3 quotes for the work and try to negotiate. I would
have gotten the estimates BEFORE the adjuster showed up so you would
know if his value was fair or not and been prepared to argue it right
while he was there.

If damage is extensive, it can be helpful to have a contractor there
at the same time as the adjuster. The adjuster can say it will take
X to fix this and the contractor can say "but you forgot about Y and
to do this right, I have to do Z. I've done that with a damaged
car. I told the adjuster to go look at it at my autobody guy's shop.
IMO, it's easier if the adjuster just agrees to it upfront instead of
having to back down later.

What happens if damage is later encountered that the adjuster didn't see?

Then you call up the insurance company and tell them. And take
pictures as needed to document it. If it is legitimate damage that
couldn't be seen at the time the adjuster was there, they should be
willing to come back out, take a look, and include it.

Recourse? *How to handle? *War stories??

As a DIY-er, I don't know much about "real" prices, but the wife is already
****ed, thinks it's way too low.
I guess it's reasonable to assume that the insurance company bias is to
lowball stuff.

And, I won't be DIY'ing most of this, that's f'sure, so any lowballing could
really hurt.

Appreciate all input.

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
[...]

My experience is, just like in an auto collision claim, if further damage is
uncovered the adjuster will come back and reappraise his original estimate
and give you the money to fix the newly uncovered damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Nope, didn't sign anything.
Sort of wondering if I should even cash the check, as sometimes cashing a
check can be construed as implicit acceptance of "the terms", offer, etc.

Should I haggle, or let the selected contractor haggle?

--
EA

If you did, then you have to go before a judge and jury, and explain how
it is that you're a smart guy _and_ you signed a contract that you didn't
understand.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Document everything and fax it over to your adjuster. No at all uncommon.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Well, true, I should read the papers, and will contact the company, but....
seriously..... Do you really think the ins. co is going to give me explicit
tips on effective negotiating tactics, consumer rights, etc?

That's why I'm asking for real experiences/insights out there. I'm sure
there's a lot written between the lines.
--
EA

As a DIY-er, I don't know much about "real" prices, but the wife is
already
****ed, thinks it's way too low.
I guess it's reasonable to assume that the insurance company bias is to
lowball stuff.

And, I won't be DIY'ing most of this, that's f'sure, so any lowballing
could
really hurt.

Appreciate all input.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"George" wrote in message
[...]

I don't look at an insurance adjuster as adversarial. They just have a job
to do. Usually they are not trying to screw with you. If you're honest with
them they'll usually be helpful with you. I ask my adjuster for
recommendations on contractors so they can agree with the estimates. Still
check referrals but the adjuster just wants the job done and over with just
as bad as you do. Unless you have a history of fraudulent claims they still
want you as a customer.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Sanity wrote:

[...]

.... and if it's just like an auto collision claim*, that answer only
applies if it's a _good_ insurance company. So watch them like they're
crooks, and act toward them like they're friends.

* Dad's shop started out as a collision repair company -- some insurance
companies are really good at taking care of their customers -- some
aren't. We had one guy working for us for a while who sold out his shop
& retired to working on classics for my dad. He liked to walk by
Allstate offices with his hands cupped just like in the ads, catch the
eye of the sales guy, then open his hands like he was dumping a formerly
treasured object in the mud. You have one guess as to what he thought
of "You're in good hands with Allstate."

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

You are getting way ahead of yourself. You didn't even ask so you don't
even have a clue what they are going to do for you. Make up a list of
your concerns and call and ask for clarification. Everyone can play a
guessing game as to what might be. Why not ask?

That's why I'm asking for real experiences/insights out there. I'm sure
there's a lot written between the lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"George" wrote in message
[...]

The adjuster was actually a nice guy, brought up from NC to NY for the
crush of claims.
He basically measures, and plugs data into the his pyooter (incl his
estimate of the labor time), and the pyooter cranks out a number based on a
"local database", with rates presumably typical for the region.
So, the issue is, what's really in the ins. company's database? And are
his time estimates realistic?

I'm also concerned that since the adjuster didn't go up on a ladder (no mean
feat for my roof, as the roof has some complexity to it), that some
surprises are in the offing.
My other concern is that once the roofer is up there, he's not going to want
to hang around and wait for the adjuster to come back to dicker over new
problems.

Mebbe the strategy for that is, now that at least I have the adjuster's
estimate, is to MAKE SURE the roofers go up on a ladder to scope things out
accurately, so they can dicker before they actually start work.

As far as contractor recs, the company gave us a ****poor list, just 1 out
of 4 being local.
I drummed up some others, so we'll see what happens.

As far as wanting people for customers, there are a number of major
insurance companies that do not write policies in NYS, poss. even NJ -- at
least as of a cupla years ago, when I was shopping around. wow.....

--
EA

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

Nope, didn't sign anything.
Sort of wondering if I should even cash the check, as sometimes cashing a
check can be construed as implicit acceptance of "the terms", offer, etc.

Should I haggle, or let the selected contractor haggle?

I'd see what the contractors bids are first. The last two times I was
given a check, the actual costs came in under what their computer said
it would. If under, don't rock the boat.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Sanity wrote:

[...]

I hate those *******swith a passion . Dicked me around for five years , I
ended up with less than ten grand and a lower back that'll hurt for the rest
of my life . tail ended by a Toyauto , on my Harley Sportster , which was
totalled
And I had to fight tooth and nail to get that much .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

I had a similar experience last year after a hurricane took a part of my
roof off. I had the State Farm adjuster come by and survey the damage. A
few days later I got the estimate. In the meantime, I was told of a
local independent adjuster that works for you. I called and he came by a
did his survey. His inspection uncovered much more damage then the State
Farm adjuster. He contacted State Farm and they met at my house and
together they did a walk around to see who was right.
State Farm sent me a corrected estimate it was several thousand dollars
more. They agreed with everything my adjuster found.
My adjuster charged a flat fee and it was reasonable. Check it out...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

That sounds like the kind of advice the OP requested. Very
kind of you to share.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chuck" wrote in message

I had a similar experience last year after a hurricane took
a part of my
roof off. I had the State Farm adjuster come by and survey
the damage. A
few days later I got the estimate. In the meantime, I was
told of a
local independent adjuster that works for you. I called and
he came by a
did his survey. His inspection uncovered much more damage
then the State
Farm adjuster. He contacted State Farm and they met at my
house and
together they did a walk around to see who was right.
State Farm sent me a corrected estimate it was several
thousand dollars
more. They agreed with everything my adjuster found.
My adjuster charged a flat fee and it was reasonable. Check
it out...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You MAY not get the full value of some things..Like a 10 year old AC unit or
a 20 year old roof..It will be pro rated..Unless like me you have
REPLACEMENT insurance wihich is a bit more costly but no worries...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 31, 11:17*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"George" wrote in message

[...]

Appreciate all input.- Hide quoted text -

Hold off on cashing the check until you see what the estimates come in
at, and then plan on at least a 10% increase over the estimates.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Where do you buy a 20 year old roof, to replace the one you
lost?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"benick" wrote in message

You MAY not get the full value of some things..Like a 10
year old AC unit or
a 20 year old roof..It will be pro rated..Unless like me you
have
REPLACEMENT insurance wihich is a bit more costly but no
worries...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote
So the insurance adjuster finally came today, and just left, after **3
hours**, doing a very detailed survey, inside and out -- much more
detailed than the roofing companies that came out -- and left me with a
pile of papers and a check, for about $10K, about half of that for branch
damage to the slate roof, the rest for inside water damage, A/C damage,
other stuff.

The Q is:

What if the contractor prices come in, and exceed the insurance company
estimates?
What happens if damage is later encountered that the adjuster didn't see?
Recourse? How to handle? War stories??

What does you policy say about repairs? Do they help with the contractor?
Have you asked your agent? If that is not the final settlement you can
easily go back for more or tell the insurance company to "make you whole", a
term that says they will put you back to wherey ou were before the damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote

Well, true, I should read the papers, and will contact the company,
but.... seriously..... Do you really think the ins. co is going to give
me explicit tips on effective negotiating tactics, consumer rights, etc?

That's why I'm asking for real experiences/insights out there. I'm sure
there's a lot written between the lines.

I should have mentioned, you can also hire (at your expense) your own
independent adjuster. Some will just take a percentage of your settlement,
others will bargain for and get you a much better deal and easily cover
their take on the deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Chuck" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Now THIS was an eyebrow raiser! I'll definitely look into this.

I'm wondering if a contractor himself can do a similar function -- at least
for his given trade, such as roof, visavis interior damage.

I'll see what one roofer, who I really like, thinks. If he thinks the
insurance guy was in the ballpark, I'll forego any squabbling, but if he
thinks it is low, I'll weigh his effectiveness vs that of an independent
adjuster.

But it's a great option!

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Always happy to help. The State Farm guy had no problem with the indep.
adjuster. Agreed with everything he pointed out. I held the check for a
while, until I was happy. Good luck. Chuck
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Don't do anything with the check until you have other estimates.

This a game the B***** play. Cash the check and you are done.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

I'll see what one roofer, who I really like, thinks. If he thinks the
insurance guy was in the ballpark, I'll forego any squabbling, but if he
thinks it is low, I'll weigh his effectiveness vs that of an independent
adjuster.

But it's a great option!

I'd get the bids from a couple of people (you'll probably have to do
that anyway) and see what they look like. If close, I'd go back to the
first guy and ask him about it. If not close, I'd go back to the first
guy and ask him about and only go for the public adjuster if your
insurance adjuster blows you off. Any other seems like too much work.
Especially since if the bids are close you know the adjuster was good.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
--Eric Clapton

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

What if the contractor prices come in, and exceed the insurance company
estimates?
What happens if damage is later encountered that the adjuster didn't see?
Recourse? How to handle? War stories??

I just went through a couple automobile insurence claims car
accidents by my hell-on-wheels daughter.

I learned that the "settlement" is just an "offer", and can be
refused or accepted or negotiated like any other "sale", at least in
to a totalled car. The offer was generous and I jumped on it.

The insurence company paid the claim for the other accident (~$5k
estimate, $7.5k out the door) without question (I used a preferred
shop).

I don't know how it works with homeowner's insurence..... yet.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

I don't know how it works with homeowner's insurence..... yet.

Depends on the company. I had Amica 23 years ago and they all but accused me
of damaging my own house to cause water damage (the upstairs toilet tank
cracked). Okaaay, since I was away at the time, and the only room damaged
was my gorgeous kitchen (I'd only bought the house 2 years before) why would
I do it? The kitchen I have now is fine, but it's not as nice as the one I
had before the damage, because I just took the money they gave me. I
couldn't afford to put in the same top-of-the-line fixtures that were there
when I bought the house. Amica told me, "You don't need to replace the
drywall, just spray anti-microbial on it and paint over it." Umm, ok, half
the drywall on the ceiling had dissolved and was on the floor, and the what
was left on the ceiling was black with mold. Yeah, I'm going to just cover
that over with paint. Uh huh. At least I insisted on having the obvious
damage repaired properly.

I switched to Allstate after the "great kitchen flood" and 2 years ago, when
a heating pipe burst in the wall they were great. They not only had people
out to dry out the house and rip out the soaked floors and drywall, they
didn't consider the claim "settled" until I had submitted the final bill
from my contractor. It didn't seem like much in the beginning, but the
electrical box had to be replaced because it was directly underneath the
leak, and the leak wasn't discovered for probably 2 days. It took that long
for water to appear in the front hall and by then it was "raining" all over
the basement. All I had to do was fax over the electrical estimate and I had
a check in 3 days.

Of course, between my car and my house I've had insurance for 35 years and
only filed the two claims for the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Slate roof = BIG MONEY to repair because of the color (can be difficult
to match slate depending on where it was quarried) and difficulty of
working with it.
Water damage under it is also not good because of the weight of the slate.

I would say get two-3 contractors in who DO slate roofs and see what
they come up with for prices.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Master Betty" wrote:

I wonder if different states have different regulations? In Texas (I think)
the state pretty much tells the insurance company what they can and cannot
do. When I purchased my homeowners ins I wasn't aware of an option and I
deliberately purchased the cheapest I could find. They just replaced my roof
outright and applied a $1800 deductible. Ouch!

They do. In Indiana (anyway) you can get either replacement value (for
more premium) or you can get the prorated kind.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
--Eric Clapton
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hmm,
My insurance policy contains a current value replacement clause.
When my two sun rooms got clobbered by hail storm They paid out full
cost of repairs. (contractor waived deductible for me)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Sanity wrote:

[...]

Allstate was the WORST I ever dealt with. Yhey treat their customer in
need of coverage like a criminal. In my will, I told my kids not to deal
with Allstate EVER!, LOL.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote

What if the contractor prices come in, and exceed the insurance company
estimates?

Cashing the check must be done before it expires. Check to see if there is
an expiration. If there is, and you do not cash it before that, you may
find you can't get the money back.

In my area, they do not give an adjustment without several estimates first
from contractors. This may be 'state law' related. Oh they had a figure for
general use but it had variation. They were very happy for example that we
had a buddy who did windows cheaper as they were about to cut a check for
1500$ but ended up with 507$. I got a 'for a friend' rate.

What happens if damage is later encountered that the adjuster didn't
see?
Recourse? How to handle? War stories??

Normally you can go back in a case like that for added adjustment.

Seriously, what was the adjusters response when you asked him that
question? He/she is the one who left you with the pile of papers and a
check. What do the papers say? What instructions did the adjuster give
you? If you didn't ask you should be contacting them to ask for
clarification and how to proceed since they are your point of contact.

Well, true, I should read the papers, and will contact the company,
but.... seriously..... Do you really think the ins. co is going to give
me explicit tips on effective negotiating tactics, consumer rights, etc?

Yes if it saves them money, and they have to answer basic questions on
company policy. For example, my area and company require at least 3
estimates of which 1 must be from their list of local ontractors. *They*
pick the price from that set usually going with the lowest bidder. Payment
is after the work is complete (at least in my one case, not sure on that for
all cases).

That's why I'm asking for real experiences/insights out there. I'm sure
there's a lot written between the lines.

My case of dealing with them was both good and bad. I use State Farm. I had
horrendous damage from renters. Easily $50,000 plus if all contracted and
$25,000 of it was beyond our DIY level. The company worked with me hard to
make it meet the rules to get us $507 as the rest was just impossible with
my contract. Damages have to be filed for in a reasonable time and you have
to tie them to an event. With us living in Japan, they picked out a wind
storm and pretended the 2 windows were damaged by it. Clearly impossible as
one was broken from the *inside* and the outer
pane was fine and the picture window that was propped in place with a 4x4
clearly showed it also was busted out from the inside of the house.

The difference is you have a claimable storm and are able to make the claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:
Sanity wrote:

Hmm,
Allstate was the WORST I ever dealt with. Yhey treat their customer in
need of coverage like a criminal. In my will, I told my kids not to deal
with Allstate EVER!, LOL.

Interesting. My experience with Allstate was great, and it was Amica who
treated me like a criminal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:25:57 -0500, "Master Betty"
wrote:

I don't look at an insurance adjuster as adversarial. They just have a job
to do. Usually they are not trying to screw with you.

That may be the case some of the time. I know that with one insurance
company I had the auto adjusters were rated on what they paid out per
claim. A lower payout was to their advantage.

YMMV...

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"h" wrote in message

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:
Sanity wrote:

Hmm,
Allstate was the WORST I ever dealt with. Yhey treat their customer in
need of coverage like a criminal. In my will, I told my kids not to deal
with Allstate EVER!, LOL.

Interesting. My experience with Allstate was great, and it was Amica who
treated me like a criminal.

Never had Allstate but the guy who fell asleep and plowed into my house
wrecking my deck , yard and broken window did...The asshole who showed up to
look at it offered 600 bucks..I told him to get off my property and they
would hear from my lawyer...Several months later just before trial they
settled for the middle bid (2500)of the 3 that I got which is all I wanted
in the begining...It also cost them my lawyer costs but I was without front
steps for several months...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
MLD MLD is offline

[...]

The best advice that I can give is to hire a public adjuster and let him
deal with the insurance company. He will get you more than you can ever get
by dealing on your own even taking into consideration his fee. Also, have
an understanding with the insurance company that what they give you may not
be the full extent of the damage costs--get some estimates. I speak from
experience-Failed upstairs toilet while away on vacation--got flooded and
destroyed two bathrooms--first insurance company check was for $14,000 after
their initial inspection of the damage--got a public adjuster--final bill
paid by the insurance Co.-$25,000. Also, in the process of repair, if
additional work has to be done in order to meet (new) code requirements most
insurance policies will cover that additional expense--check yours. For
example, I was required to have an exhaust fan and a separate GFI circuit in
the bathroom in order to meet code-Insurance paid for this in full.
Was having a tough time with the insurance co. but once the adjuster got
involved all then went nice and smooth.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"George" wrote in message
[...]

My suggestions would be to contact your insurance agent for some advice,
after all that is what he is paid to provide. If you are still worried, and
if you think the potential cost is justified you might wish to contact a
Public Adjuster to represent your interests.