Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Insurance claim....

On Mar 31, 11:17*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"George" wrote in message

On 3/31/2010 11:54 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

As some of you may know, the NY, NJ area got clobbered by a windstorm
last
week (75+ mph), after quite a snow storm a couple of weeks before.
Damage
was extensive, thousands of trees blown down, some people without
electricity for a week. *Imagine if the trees were fully leaved in the
summer....

So the insurance adjuster finally came today, and just left, after **3
hours**, doing a very detailed survey, inside and out -- much more
detailed
than the roofing companies that came out -- and *left me with a pile of
papers and a check, *for about $10K, about half of that for branch damage
the slate roof, the rest for inside water damage, A/C damage, other
stuff.

The Q is:

What if the contractor prices come in, and exceed the insurance company
estimates?
What happens if damage is later encountered that the adjuster didn't see?
Recourse? *How to handle? *War stories??

Seriously, what was the adjusters response when you asked him that
question? He/she is the one who left you with the pile of papers and a
check. What do the papers say? What instructions did the adjuster give
you? If you didn't ask you should be contacting them to ask for
clarification and how to proceed since they are your point of contact.

Well, true, I should read the papers, and will contact the company, *but....
seriously..... *Do you really think the ins. co is going to give me explicit
tips on effective negotiating tactics, consumer rights, etc?

That's why I'm asking for real experiences/insights out there. *I'm sure
there's a lot written between the lines.
--
EA

As a DIY-er, I don't know much about "real" prices, but the wife is
already
****ed, thinks it's way too low.
I guess it's reasonable to assume that the insurance company bias is to
lowball stuff.

And, I won't be DIY'ing most of this, that's f'sure, so any lowballing
could
really hurt.

Appreciate all input.- Hide quoted text -

Hold off on cashing the check until you see what the estimates come in
at, and then plan on at least a 10% increase over the estimates.