Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insurance Claim - Best Way to Proceed

Hi all

Not strictly DIY granted but there is an element (bit long) .....

Noticed recently that the carpet had lifted in the corner of a room.
On lifting carpet found that damp had "blown" a filled area of the concrete
floor around a gas pipe and that there was water evident on the underside of
the underlay.
Insurance appointed contractor came in to expose CH and hot/cold water pipes
in the area but no leak has been found.
A second contractor is to visit shortly with leak detection equipment (how
does that work then?).

My question really is how best to proceed with disclosure of information.
When we moved in to the place 6 years ago there was a significant leak in
the affected area. This we repaired (that's the DIY bit by the way), but it
may be that this leak had completely flooded the sub-base of the house with
water being retained inside the dpm.
There has been evidence of further damp around the ground floor.

The key question is: If I volunteer the information about the leak,
can/will the insurance company withdraw all support/services on the grounds
that the damage was done before their policy was put in place?
Equally I could "suggest" that the damp may be due to ingress during 2007
flooding, but I don't really want that label on the property from a
future-sales point of view.
I will obviously not mention previous leaks until after the investigation,
as there may be another source of which I am currently unaware.

If the sub-base of the house is still saturated, how is this water removed
from below the concrete slab?

Any pointers or past experience appreciated

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
The key question is: If I volunteer the information about the leak,
can/will the insurance company withdraw all support/services on the
grounds that the damage was done before their policy was put in place?

not sure what others think, but having had to live on benefits for a while
(genuine illness and disability), you soon learn to never, ever, ever
volunteer information,
wait for them to ask and answer truthfully, but if they dont ask they dont
need to know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gazz" wrote

not sure what others think, but having had to live on benefits for a while
(genuine illness and disability), you soon learn to never, ever, ever
volunteer information,
wait for them to ask and answer truthfully, but if they dont ask they dont
need to know.

Thanks gazz
I know where you are coming from of course, but it does go against the grain
somewhat not to do everything to sort the situation as proficiently as
possible IYSWIM.
Definitely keeping stum for now at least.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 8:32*am, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Not strictly DIY granted but there is an element (bit long) .....

Noticed recently that the carpet had lifted in the corner of a room.
On lifting carpet found that damp had "blown" a filled area of the concrete
floor around a gas pipe and that there was water evident on the underside of
the underlay.
Insurance appointed contractor came in to expose CH and hot/cold water pipes
in the area but no leak has been found.
A second contractor is to visit shortly with leak detection equipment (how
does that work then?).

My question really is how best to proceed with disclosure of information.
When we moved in to the place 6 years ago there was a significant leak in
the affected area. *This we repaired (that's the DIY bit by the way),

Say nothing. If the previous repair is discovered deny any knowledge
of it.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"gazz" wrote

not sure what others think, but having had to live on benefits for a while
(genuine illness and disability), you soon learn to never, ever, ever
volunteer information,
wait for them to ask and answer truthfully, but if they dont ask they dont
need to know.

Thanks gazz
I know where you are coming from of course, but it does go against the grain
somewhat not to do everything to sort the situation as proficiently as
possible IYSWIM.
Definitely keeping stum for now at least.

Phil

The job of diagnosing and repairing the fault is theirs, not yours. I
also doubt minor events like these are worth a claim, in most cases
you'll pay it all back on your premiums and more.

Concrete doesnt mind being forever wet, as long as it doesnt freeze.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

The job of diagnosing and repairing the fault is theirs, not yours. I
also doubt minor events like these are worth a claim, in most cases
you'll pay it all back on your premiums and more.

Concrete doesnt mind being forever wet, as long as it doesnt freeze.

NT

The problem isn't so much the concrete or sub-base being wet, it's the fact
that the damp keeps on appearing.
Rising up walls and appearing at internal thresholds and rotting carpets,
skirtings etc.

Had the job turned out to be a straight forward pipe leak I agree it would
probably have paid to fix it myself.
But once you get into tracing difficult leak sources, then costs do start to
rise.
ISTR getting a price on drain inspection works which was well over £100 in
the early 90s.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote

Say nothing. If the previous repair is discovered deny any knowledge
of it.

The original repair has already been uncovered and is sound. No comment was
made.

Phil