Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Abrasive sink polishing kit worked wonders

My sink was stained up and had irremovable hard water/corrosion
stains. I went to home depot and found a $10 sink polishing kit. It
has various grades of sandpaper. Amazingly it took everything off and
restored it to like-new condition. Hardly took any elbow grease, just
15 minutes.

Anyone know what grit sandpaper they use ? I want to buy some more to
clean up some of my bathroom fixtures. Or should I just buy another
$10 kit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2010 11:25 AM, Homer Simpson wrote:
My sink was stained up and had irremovable hard water/corrosion
stains. I went to home depot and found a $10 sink polishing kit. It
has various grades of sandpaper. Amazingly it took everything off and
restored it to like-new condition. Hardly took any elbow grease, just
15 minutes.

Anyone know what grit sandpaper they use ? I want to buy some more to
clean up some of my bathroom fixtures. Or should I just buy another
$10 kit?

May depend on material your sink is made of. I used to polish an old
Seiko plastic watch crystal with tooth paste but am sure it would not
work on stainless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:25:56 -0700 (PDT), Homer Simpson
wrote:

My sink was stained up and had irremovable hard water/corrosion
stains. I went to home depot and found a $10 sink polishing kit. It
has various grades of sandpaper. Amazingly it took everything off and
restored it to like-new condition. Hardly took any elbow grease, just
15 minutes.

Anyone know what grit sandpaper they use ? I want to buy some more to
clean up some of my bathroom fixtures. Or should I just buy another
$10 kit?

4, 6, or 8 hundred grit wet paper? I know it is as fine as a frog's
hair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Homer Simpson wrote:
My sink was stained up and had irremovable hard water/corrosion
stains. I went to home depot and found a $10 sink polishing kit. It
has various grades of sandpaper. Amazingly it took everything off and
restored it to like-new condition. Hardly took any elbow grease, just
15 minutes.

Anyone know what grit sandpaper they use ? I want to buy some more to
clean up some of my bathroom fixtures. Or should I just buy another
$10 kit?

Auto body supply places can sell you sandpaper up to 2000 grit, as used in the
"scary sharp" tool sharpening method. I would expect that that would do what you
describe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Homer Simpson" wrote in message
My sink was stained up and had irremovable hard water/corrosion
stains. I went to home depot and found a $10 sink polishing kit. It
has various grades of sandpaper. Amazingly it took everything off and
restored it to like-new condition. Hardly took any elbow grease, just
15 minutes.

Anyone know what grit sandpaper they use ? I want to buy some more to
clean up some of my bathroom fixtures. Or should I just buy another
$10 kit?

Old wives trick.... Use baking soda and a sponge. That'll take off just
about anything on stainless steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 10:47*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Homer Simpson wrote:
My sink was stained up and had irremovable hard water/corrosion
stains. I went to home depot and found a $10 sink polishing kit. It
has various grades of sandpaper. Amazingly it took everything off and
restored it to like-new condition. Hardly took any elbow grease, just
15 minutes.

Anyone know what grit sandpaper they use ? I want to buy some more to
clean up some of my bathroom fixtures. Or should I just buy another
$10 kit?

Auto body supply places can sell you sandpaper up to 2000 grit, as used in the
"scary sharp" tool sharpening method. I would expect that that would do what you
describe.

"Auto body supply places can sell you sandpaper up to 2000
grit..."

2000 grit? That's some pretty rough stuff.

How about 12,000 grit? ;-)

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2004...nding-Kit.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Tue 30 Mar 2010 10:00:18a, Frank told us...

On 3/30/2010 11:25 AM, Homer Simpson wrote:
My sink was stained up and had irremovable hard water/corrosion
stains. I went to home depot and found a $10 sink polishing kit. It
has various grades of sandpaper. Amazingly it took everything off and
restored it to like-new condition. Hardly took any elbow grease, just
15 minutes.

Anyone know what grit sandpaper they use ? I want to buy some more to
clean up some of my bathroom fixtures. Or should I just buy another
$10 kit?

May depend on material your sink is made of. I used to polish an old
Seiko plastic watch crystal with tooth paste but am sure it would not
work on stainless.

I've found that those new "magic sponges", both brand name and generic,
will remove almost any stain without leaving any additional abrasive marks.
I useit on my SS kitchen sink more than I use cleaning compounds. I also
use it on my glassstop stove.

I've found that using automotive "polishing compound" works as good as
the expensive abrasive sponges. Probably at about 1/100th of the cost.