Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Barbecue Grill burner replacements

I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jpg

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look
for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many
websites. Example is he

http://www.gasngrills.com/members-ma...ner-29251.html

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11443" wrote in message
I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jpg

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look
for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many
websites. Example is he

http://www.gasngrills.com/members-ma...ner-29251.html

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

The burners and grills are considered "consumables" and are expected to be
replaced as needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote
I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

The burners and grills are considered "consumables" and are expected to be
replaced as needed.

The stainless steel burners on my Vermont Castings are as good as new after
12 years. So are the porcelain coated cast iron grates. You need to buy a
better grill if you think they are consumables.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"RAM?" wrote
I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

The burners and grills are considered "consumables" and are expected to be
replaced as needed.

The stainless steel burners on my Vermont Castings are as good as new after
12 years. So are the porcelain coated cast iron grates. You need to buy a
better grill if you think they are consumables.

Why wouldn't anyone want to sell stainless burners for my grill? These
burners seem to fit a lot of grills, and therefore there is enough
market to make stainless burners. I would pay the premium.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-28, DT wrote:
In article ,
lid says...
I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jp

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not

You can buy various shaped and sized SS burners at any Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Bar-B...Steel/10846840

unfortunately, it is wrong shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I worry about 'burning' chrome and nickel into the flame and thus
into the food.

Carbon iron - as it would be are common elements to the body so
if you get some extra carbon or iron you get richer blood or cast it off.

Martin

Ignoramus11443 wrote:
I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jpg

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look
for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many
websites. Example is he

http://www.gasngrills.com/members-ma...ner-29251.html

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a
gas grill... The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God
intended.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 5:21*pm, Ignoramus11443 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11443.invalid wrote:
I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

* * * *http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jpg

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look
for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many
websites. Example is he

* * * * *http://www.gasngrills.com/members-ma...ner-29251.html

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

Eight years on a set of burners is not bad.

I have a SS grill that I bought in 2005.
It gets moderate use....maybe a once or twice a week on average.

My grill has three cast brass burners....One is now split along the
line of gas flame location holes and needs to be replaced.

I can get brass ones ($150 for a set) or cast iron ones for less than
half.
I doubt that cast iron will perform that much worse than the brass
did.

Cast iron is a pretty decent material for a burner...but there are
"good" cast irons and "bad" cast irons.

I'm guessing that your original iron burners were cast iron.

Replacement SS burners can vary widely in performance. Spraying water
on the grill to keep the flames down will severely reduce the life of
SS burners.

Per the other post.........burners are consumables.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 6:21*pm, Ignoramus11443 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11443.invalid wrote:
I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

* * * *http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jpg

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look
for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many
websites. Example is he

* * * * *http://www.gasngrills.com/members-ma...ner-29251.html

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

Wel, I don't know where you're at, but pretty much all the big-box
home improvement places here carry replacement grill burners in
stainless 12 months of the year and a good number of the regular
hardware stores do in season, meaning once they drag the mowers out.
A grill cover does wonders for weathering on grill innards, too.
Getting one of either off the shelf to fit your existing grill is the
trick. Haven't seen cast-iron burners for anything but fish cookers,
though. Haven't had rust problems on my example of those, yet, just
gets oil on it and in it every once in a while from a boiling pot. I
did paint it with high-temp exhaust paint, though. Check Ace, True
Value, HD, Lowe's, maybe Sears/K-Mart, WalMart, Menard's, whatever
you've got. Somebody's got to have them.

Stan

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:32:21 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a
gas grill... The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God
intended.

This is true. In Heaven they use charcoal. They considered using
propane, but had a hard time running the supply hose that high.

You can tell when they are grilling because the rain is grey.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:13:58 -0700 (PDT), DD_BobK
wrote:

Cast iron is a pretty decent material for a burner...but there are
"good" cast irons and "bad" cast irons.

And good and bad stainless steel I read in a recent thread in AHR.

I'm guessing that your original iron burners were cast iron.

Replacement SS burners can vary widely in performance. Spraying water
on the grill to keep the flames down will severely reduce the life of
SS burners.

Amd any other kind, right? I never understood keeping the flames
down. That's the exciting part of grilling.

Per the other post.........burners are consumables.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 10:55*pm, Ignoramus11443 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-03-28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"RAM?" wrote
I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

The burners and grills are considered "consumables" and are expected to be
replaced as needed.

The stainless steel burners on my Vermont Castings are as good as new after
12 years. *So are the porcelain coated cast iron grates. *You need to buy a
better grill if you think they are consumables.

Why wouldn't anyone want to sell stainless burners for my grill? These
burners seem to fit a lot of grills, and therefore there is enough
market to make stainless burners. I would pay the premium.

i- Hide quoted text -

Because you got 8 years out of much cheaper iron ones in an
inexpensive grill from Sams club. That 8 years probably exceeds the
life expectation of the whole unit for a low to mid-range priced
grill.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11443" wrote in message
I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jpg

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look
for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many
websites. Example is he

http://www.gasngrills.com/members-ma...ner-29251.html

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

8 years is a long life. You must not cook very often.

The SS burners are about as good as it gets. The cast iron will crack over
time. The chrome will go faster. On the average I get about 3 years from a
SS burner which is used about 48 weeks per year in all kinds of weather. The
cast iron lasted about the same amount of time. I suspect the heat cool
cycles in colder weather affected that sine cast burners on stove last for
many years.

I had a hard time accepting that they meant to be a consumable product.

I suggest a Google search using both the model name and number and with just
one of each. That looks like a proprietary design so you may not have a lot
of choices.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

There are grill stores n many major citys.

I had a impossible to find burner, in my moms old grill which I keep
around because of sentimenta reasons, and beyond that its a very high
BTU unit with lava rock which I prefer.

I took the old burner in and they found a replacement in stock.

A burner no one else had.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe Pfeiffer wrote in
:

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a
gas grill... The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God
intended.

AMEN!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"RAM?" wrote
I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

The burners and grills are considered "consumables" and are expected to be
replaced as needed.

The stainless steel burners on my Vermont Castings are as good as new after
12 years. So are the porcelain coated cast iron grates. You need to buy a
better grill if you think they are consumables.

Why wouldn't anyone want to sell stainless burners for my grill? These
burners seem to fit a lot of grills, and therefore there is enough
market to make stainless burners. I would pay the premium.

The problem is that many of the burners are not compatible. Different
orifice sizes different regulators and air feeds make it hard to make a
"universal" burner. However you could easily retrofit a better cast iron
burner out of a different make into yours. You may have to change the
orifices to compensate for the burner holes though.

As for the grids, Most stove/furnace places that sell wood/coal fired
equipment can get you cast iron grates that will outlast stainless steel
easily. Stainless doesn't do well in the presence of heat unless it is
expensive alloy types.

Take a look at the high end grills and you find cast iron burners and
grates. Some have cast iron burners with brass jets for even better heat
control.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Cast iron is a pretty decent material for a burner...but there are
"good" cast irons and "bad" cast irons.

And good and bad stainless steel I read in a recent thread in AHR.

I'm guessing that your original iron burners were cast iron.

Replacement SS burners can vary widely in performance. Spraying water
on the grill to keep the flames down will severely reduce the life of
SS burners.

Amd any other kind, right? I never understood keeping the flames
down. That's the exciting part of grilling.

But not a part that leads to food that tastes good.

But the right way to keep the flames down is to limit airflow. If
you're under a smoke hood, the flames can't get high.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 11:32*pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a
gas grill... *The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God
intended.

"I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble
for a gas grill"

Because 12 minutes after I started the grill this morning I had a nice
medium steak alongside 2 over-easy eggs and some whole grain toast -
cooked on the grill and side burner.

Because 10 minutes after I decide to have a burger or sausage, I'm
eating said burger or sausage.

Because I need the whole grill and a little more temperature control
when cooking pizza on the grill.

Because I use my grill at least one a week, even in mid-winter, for
"single servings".

Because grilled pineapple is a great - and quick - appetizer even when
the rest of the meal is being cooked in the kitchen.

I could go on, and I'm not trying to convince you that gas is better
than charcoal, I'm just trying to help you "figure out why anybody
would go to all this trouble for a gas grill".

My Weber kettle is under the deck and comes out quite often, but for
ease of use and quick-turnaround, a gas grill sure is convenient.
That's why we "go to the trouble."

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a
gas grill... The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God
intended.

I think my neighbour has it figured right - he picked up a BBQ someone
had set out to the curb, stripped out the burners, and uses charcoal
on the rock grid. Good cast aluminium housing on a decent stand, works
great!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 10:25*am, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:23:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Because you got 8 years out of much cheaper iron ones in an
inexpensive grill from Sams club. * *That 8 years probably exceeds the
life expectation of the whole unit for a low to mid-range priced
grill.

I bet that grill was $700-800, far from low priced.

I'll bet it's inexpensive if you compare it to the same size grill
from Weber, Jennaire or Viking, I see run of the mill grills made in
China at Costco. They are OK for the price as long as you realize
what you are getting. I bought a Charmglow or Charbroil can't
remember which at Lowes. It's half the price of a Weber, but then I
also realized what I'm getting and don't expect it to last as long.
I can also tell you that the heat distribution is far superior on the
Weber. in the sense that it is uniform. For what I use it for and
using some common sense, it works fine. But I won't be looking for
longlife replacement parts for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/27/2010 9:10 PM, RAM³ wrote:
id wrote in message
I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jpg

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look
for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many
websites. Example is he

http://www.gasngrills.com/members-ma...ner-29251.html

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

The burners and grills are considered "consumables" and are expected to be
replaced as needed.

Or not, You basically have two choices. Buy big box throwaway quality
where they went to the ChiComs and said make us 100,000 grills as
cheaply as possible or you go for better quality. I bought a quality
grill and it is ~ 17 years old and it still is in really good condition.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-29, George wrote:
On 3/27/2010 9:10 PM, RAM? wrote:
id wrote in message
[...]

So, tell us

1) What grill did you buy
2) How much did you pay
3) What was the material for burners and grates
4) What did you have to replace in the grill
5) How much do you use your grill
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 11:57*pm, DT wrote:
In article ,
says...

I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

* * * *http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jp

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not

You can buy various shaped and sized SS burners at any Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Bar-B...Steel/10846840

--
DT

I put a SS burner in mine about 4 years ago. No problems so far but
cant really say as the original ones lasted for 8.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote in
:

wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a
gas grill... The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God
intended.

I think my neighbour has it figured right - he picked up a BBQ someone
had set out to the curb, stripped out the burners, and uses charcoal
on the rock grid. Good cast aluminium housing on a decent stand, works
great!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Charbroil used to make a nice charcoal grill that had the cast aluminum
housing,with cast iron cooking grids and a moveable coal grate so you can
bring the coals closer to or away from the cooking grids.It had a
removeable ash drawer to make emptying the grill easier,and you could close
up the grill and put out the coals for later reuse.Sears also sold the same
unit under their brandname.

I have one,but the cooking grids have rusted away.
I made replacements for the coal grid and ash drawer after they rusted
away. It's at least 25 years old.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 27, 11:32*pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a
gas grill... *The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God
intended.

Hmm, spend 45 minutes replacing the burners once every 8 years....

or...

Spend 45+ minutes building a charcoal fire every day to grill a couple
of burgers...

Tough choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:21:41 -0500, Ignoramus11443
wrote:

I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-6648.jpg

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look
for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many
websites. Example is he

http://www.gasngrills.com/members-ma...ner-29251.html

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not
rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust
resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

I went direct to the manufacturer for my burner. The 800 number was
on the front of the grill. New burner was somewhere around $12.00
IIRC, the same in SS was $1.00 more. I went for the SS.

Why do they even bother to offer plain steel?

It was (is) a cheapy department store grill.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Because I need the whole grill and a little more temperature control
when cooking pizza on the grill.

I have been thinking about doing this any cooking hints?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 29, 7:32*pm, "Stephen B."
wrote:
"DerbyDad03" *wrote in message
Because I need the whole grill and a little more temperature control
when cooking pizza on the grill.

I have been thinking about doing this any cooking hints?

The general concept shown here is correct, except that with practice
you can get a golden brown crust, not the charred wreck they ended up
with.

The "trick" is to brown one side the crust, which will stiffen it up,
then flip it over, put your toppings on the browned side and then
brown the other side while the toppings cook.

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Grilling...eo/Detail.aspx

I always brush my dough with olive oil before grilling and I remove my
crust while adding the toppings. That way the toppings have more time
to cook while the crust browning.

Google around for topping suggestions. The possibilities are endless.
You can't get pretty exotic.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Mar 27, 11:32 pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a
gas grill... The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God
intended.

Hmm, spend 45 minutes replacing the burners once every 8 years....

or...

Spend 45+ minutes building a charcoal fire every day to grill a couple
of burgers...

Tough choice.

I have both charcoal and gas BBQs. the charcoal is both an offset smoker
and you can use a grill over the charcoal to cook. Why both? Charcoal does
a better tasting grill and gas so the wife can BBQ or I just want to do
chicken and do not want to wait for the wood fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

On Mar 29, 7:32*pm, "Stephen B."
wrote:
[...]

Ummm... I've had pizza cooked in a backyard wood-fired pizza oven; we
did it by tossing the dough, putting toppings on while it was on a pizza
peel, and then the pizza was slid into the oven (and later, of course,
slid out).
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

DerbyDad03 writes:

On Mar 29, 7:32 pm, "Stephen B."
wrote:
[...]

There is a local Italian restaurant + pizza place that cooks
everything over wood fires. When the wind is blowing the wrong way, you
can smell it for miles.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

There is a local Italian restaurant + pizza place that cooks
everything over wood fires. When the wind is blowing the wrong way, you
can smell it for miles.

From my experience with walking by good restaurants, I think you
mis-spelled
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

There is a local Italian restaurant + pizza place that cooks
everything over wood fires. When the wind is blowing the wrong way, you
can smell it for miles.

From my experience with walking by good restaurants, I think you
mis-spelled

Who said it was good? Do you like the smell of burning oak and pizza
crust?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:46:01 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote Re Barbecue Grill burner
replacements:

There is a local Italian restaurant + pizza place that cooks
everything over wood fires.

Man, that has got to be expensive unless they have a source of *very*
cheap firewood.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

There is a local Italian restaurant + pizza place that cooks
everything over wood fires. When the wind is blowing the wrong way, you
can smell it for miles.

From my experience with walking by good restaurants, I think you
mis-spelled

Who said it was good? Do you like the smell of burning oak and pizza
crust?

If the crust is burning, no. If it's cooking, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

There is a local Italian restaurant + pizza place that cooks
everything over wood fires. When the wind is blowing the wrong way, you
can smell it for miles.

From my experience with walking by good restaurants, I think you
mis-spelled

Who said it was good? Do you like the smell of burning oak and pizza
crust?

If the crust is burning, no. If it's cooking, yes.

it smells like pieces of the crust are left in the oven, till they
completely burn away.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

FWIW, has anyone considered a fully ceramic grate?

One approach would be to bond pre-made ceramic rods with an ordinary
pottery clay, which could be fired as an assembly, then moved as a unit.

Another would be to cast/mould a grate-like assembly in a sheet, dry, fire,
glaze, and use it both as the heat diffuser and as a food grill in a gas-
fired grill (or charcoal).

'Tis hardly metalworking, but metals don't usually hold up well in that
environment.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
FWIW, has anyone considered a fully ceramic grate?

One approach would be to bond pre-made ceramic rods with an ordinary
pottery clay, which could be fired as an assembly, then moved as a
unit.

Another would be to cast/mould a grate-like assembly in a sheet, dry,
fire, glaze, and use it both as the heat diffuser and as a food grill
in a gas- fired grill (or charcoal).

'Tis hardly metalworking, but metals don't usually hold up well in
that environment.

LLoyd

ordinary ceramics don't like to go through quartz inversion temp very
quickly (either up or down). i'd bet they'd self-destruct pretty quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"chaniarts" fired this volley in
:

ordinary ceramics don't like to go through quartz inversion temp very
quickly (either up or down). i'd bet they'd self-destruct pretty

quickly.

I've got some ceramic support rods for heat-treating that pay no never
mind to cycling a thousand degrees in one or two minutes. They were once
"honing rods" I re-purposed.

I really don't know what's in them, but they can go from cold to bright
cherry red in seconds, and never even breathe hard.

They don't look "glazed", per se, but they're polished, and most likely
not very porous.

Just from knowing about milling media, I'm betting they're high-alumina
ceramics.

LLoyd

LLoyd