Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Grill Side Burner - Can't Lower Flame

I've got a BBQ Grillware grill (Lowes).

The side burner can't be used for much other than boiling water
because it can not be turned down low enough.

While there is some degree of control via the valve, the flame ranges
from really, really high to just really high.

The regulator must be working because the 3 burners can all be set
from very low to a normal high.

Is there something after the regulator that can be adjusted to reduce
the amount of gas going to the side burner?

(It's not a new grill, so I can't return it.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 9:30�am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've got a BBQ Grillware grill (Lowes).

The side burner can't be used for much other than boiling water
because it can not be turned down low enough.

While there is some degree of control via the valve, the flame ranges
from really, really high to just really high.

The regulator must be working because the 3 burners can all be set
from very low to a normal high.

Is there something after the regulator that can be adjusted to reduce
the amount of gas going to the side burner?

(It's not a new grill, so I can't return it.)

wierdly remove and clean burner. i knowq it sounds wierd but thats
occured to one of my main burners twice and cleaning fixed it both
times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 10:49*am, bob haller wrote:
On May 27, 9:30 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've got a BBQ Grillware grill (Lowes).

The side burner can't be used for much other than boiling water
because it can not be turned down low enough.

While there is some degree of control via the valve, the flame ranges
from really, really high to just really high.

The regulator must be working because the 3 burners can all be set
from very low to a normal high.

Is there something after the regulator that can be adjusted to reduce
the amount of gas going to the side burner?

(It's not a new grill, so I can't return it.)

wierdly remove and clean burner. i knowq it sounds wierd but thats
occured to one of my main burners twice and cleaning fixed it both
times.

I'll clean it, but it's been this way since day one. I just never
concerned myself with it too much.

It's just that last weekend I was grilling a ham steak and thought it
would be nice to fry the eggs on the deck also - it was a beautiful
spring morning. The ham came out great but the eggs were awful!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 6:30*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've got a BBQ Grillware grill (Lowes).

The side burner can't be used for much other than boiling water
because it can not be turned down low enough.

While there is some degree of control via the valve, the flame ranges
from really, really high to just really high.

The regulator must be working because the 3 burners can all be set
from very low to a normal high.

Is there something after the regulator that can be adjusted to reduce
the amount of gas going to the side burner?

(It's not a new grill, so I can't return it.)

My bbq has the same problem, couldn't find any adjustment, so I never
use the side burner.....even set on "low" it would boil bbq sauce or
beans.

I just gave up using it.

a simple fix would be to throw on a chunk of steel about the size of a
pan bottom to run interference with the flame and provide more "heat
loss" & reduced heat transfer......though it would turn your gas
burner performance into something like an electric stove

a more complicated fix (may or may not work) try a smaller orifice?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
While there is some degree of control via the valve, the flame ranges
from really, really high to just really high.

The regulator must be working because the 3 burners can all be set
from very low to a normal high.

Side burners all seem to be on the high side compared to the simmer of an
indoor gas range. I think it is a guard against having to blow out in the
wind. Put a spacer to raise the pan and you'll lose some of the heat around
the sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 2:08*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
While there is some degree of control via the valve, the flame ranges
from really, really high to just really high.

The regulator must be working because the 3 burners can all be set
from very low to a normal high.

Side burners all seem to be on the high side compared to the simmer of an
indoor gas range. *I think it is a guard against having to blow out in the
wind. *Put a spacer to raise the pan and you'll lose some of the heat around
the sides.

In general, I agree, but I don't think that is the case with my grill.
I've had (and used) many grills that had a side burner that was usable
for something other than bringing a 55 gallon drum of ice water to a
full boil in under 10 minutes.

Obviously, I jest, but I think you get my point. This side burner
burns way higher than any I have seen. Big yellow tipped flames that
reach up around the sides of a medium size pot. In addition, it
blackens the bottom of all pots, so I'm pretty sure there is a problem
with the burner.