Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hinge squeak lube advice

At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with
closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a bit,
make some kind of noise while the door is closing.

I tried opening and closing the door, with my fingers
lightly touchng the hinge, and can't tell which of the three
is making the noise. So, on principle, I dosed all three
hinges and the door closer pivots with WD-40, and that
didn't seem to help much.

Today, several days later, I return to the building. Spray
the hinges with brake cleaner, to flush out whatever old
lube was there. And then, spray the hinges with LPS-1,
leaving a non oily film. After the solvent flush, the hinges
got noisier. And then the spray, and they went back to about
the same noise level as when I started.

I havn't whacked the hinges with a hammer and screw driver
to check for removable pins. If they were, I'd pack in some
axle grease, and pound the pins back in.

What other ideas, for squeaky hinges? What works?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience has been to pull/drive out the pins (one at a time),
clean, and lubricate with a non-migrating grease, like LubriPlate,
used in automotive work. In less severe cases, a good light oil, such
as any oil you would use on firearms seems to work well. I can usually
get a drop to work its way in on the top edge of the pin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hojgnp
:

What other ideas, for squeaky hinges? What works?

First thing I'd suggest is pulling the pin on the closer, so you can push
and pull the door yourself without closer assist. This action does two
things: It eliminates the closer as a noise source, and it makes it easier
to narrow down which hinge is making the noise.

If it is indeed a hinge that's making the noise, I find aerosol white
grease to be very effective. WD-40 is **NOT** a lubricant, so don't expect
any help from it! Plus WD-40 stinks.

Place the white-grease spray can nozzle directly on the hinge seams, and
hold a paper towel over the nozzle before you fire. This will prevent the
nozzle from spraying back into your face. You'll still have to wipe the
door clean afterwards. Placing the nozzle directly on the seams helps the
spray can inject the grease into the gap between hinge halves.

Aerosol white grease is available in any auto parts store.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:
"Stormin wrote in news:hojgnp
:

[...]

Hi,
I use Liquid Wrench Teflon lubricant spray.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote in
:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
news:hojgnp :

[...]

Another point: You'll find that if you study the hinge very carefully,
you'll see that the gaps between the hinge segments are different.

The door-side rests on top of the frame-side, and they will have worn down
together. This means that the /top/ of the /door-side/ segments will have a
larger gap than the bottom. That larger gap is where you spray the white
grease.

After spraying, it will take several openings and closings for the oil in
the grease to migrate out of the grease and disperse through the hinge.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another friend of mine suggested Lubri-Plate. I don't know
if the hinge pins drive out but I'll try it. Also don't know
where to get such grease.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"professorpaul" wrote in message
My experience has been to pull/drive out the pins (one at a
time),
clean, and lubricate with a non-migrating grease, like
LubriPlate,
used in automotive work. In less severe cases, a good light
oil, such
as any oil you would use on firearms seems to work well. I
can usually
get a drop to work its way in on the top edge of the pin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a good thought, to disconnect the closer. Have to
take a better look at that.

I've already tried white lith spray, but not as agressively
as you suggest.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

How's that compare to the LPS #1 I tried earlier?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
I use Liquid Wrench Teflon lubricant spray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Makes sense, to look for a wider gap. I'd not thought of
that. But, it makes sense after reading it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message

Another point: You'll find that if you study the hinge very
carefully,
you'll see that the gaps between the hinge segments are
different.

The door-side rests on top of the frame-side, and they will
have worn down
together. This means that the /top/ of the /door-side/
segments will have a
larger gap than the bottom. That larger gap is where you
spray the white
grease.

After spraying, it will take several openings and closings
for the oil in
the grease to migrate out of the grease and disperse through
the hinge.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with
closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a bit,
make some kind of noise while the door is closing.

Maybe it's a cryptic message from God...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll pray about it, and get back to you. It may be ushering
in the new millenium? We can set up a shrine, and have the
crying Blessed Mary statue, the potato chip with the head of
Jesus, and the Mormon Moaning Hinge. You want to be my
advertising director? We pay good wages, and take care of
our people.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Slacker" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with
closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a
bit,
make some kind of noise while the door is closing.

Maybe it's a cryptic message from God...

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Tegger" wrote in message

Another point: You'll find that if you study the hinge very
carefully,
you'll see that the gaps between the hinge segments are
different.

The door-side rests on top of the frame-side, and they will
have worn down
together. This means that the /top/ of the /door-side/
segments will have a
larger gap than the bottom. That larger gap is where you
spray the white
grease.

After spraying, it will take several openings and closings
for the oil in
the grease to migrate out of the grease and disperse through
the hinge.

I've found "fluid film" is the cat's meow for hinges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:50:33 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Tegger wrote in
:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
news:hojgnp :

[...]

And LIFTING the door after (or during) lubing helps allow some of
that lube into that "bearing" surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:38:13 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with
closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a bit,
make some kind of noise while the door is closing.

That's Satan, telling you he's there.

I tried opening and closing the door, with my fingers
lightly touchng the hinge, and can't tell which of the three
is making the noise. So, on principle, I dosed all three
hinges and the door closer pivots with WD-40, and that
didn't seem to help much.

That's Satan playing tricks. What's the name of that guy when he
plays tricks?

Today, several days later, I return to the building. Spray
the hinges with brake cleaner, to flush out whatever old
lube was there. And then, spray the hinges with LPS-1,
leaving a non oily film. After the solvent flush, the hinges
got noisier. And then the spray, and they went back to about
the same noise level as when I started.

I havn't whacked the hinges with a hammer and screw driver
to check for removable pins. If they were, I'd pack in some
axle grease, and pound the pins back in.

What other ideas, for squeaky hinges? What works?

Pay your dues to Satan.

I had hoped to give some repair advice too, but you've got me stumped.
You did what I would do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Slacker wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with
closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a bit,
make some kind of noise while the door is closing.

Maybe it's a cryptic message from God...

Could be. My granny used to say something was "Noisier than the hinges on
the gates of Hell."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with
closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a bit,
make some kind of noise while the door is closing.

That's Satan, telling you he's there.

CY: I'm remembering the story of the little boy in sunday
school. The teacher asks where God lives. Little boy raises
his hand. Teacher calls on him. God lives in my house in the
bathroom. Teacher is puzzled. Little boy explains that this
morning, his Dad is banging on the door and hollering "My
God! My God! Are you still in there!" And some what related
to the story, the squeaky hinge at my church is on a
bathroom door.

I tried opening and closing the door, with my fingers
lightly touchng the hinge, and can't tell which of the
three
is making the noise. So, on principle, I dosed all three
hinges and the door closer pivots with WD-40, and that
didn't seem to help much.

That's Satan playing tricks. What's the name of that guy
when he
plays tricks?

CY: Barry?

Today, several days later, I return to the building. Spray
the hinges with brake cleaner, to flush out whatever old
lube was there. And then, spray the hinges with LPS-1,
leaving a non oily film. After the solvent flush, the
hinges
got noisier. And then the spray, and they went back to
about
the same noise level as when I started.

I havn't whacked the hinges with a hammer and screw driver
to check for removable pins. If they were, I'd pack in some
axle grease, and pound the pins back in.

What other ideas, for squeaky hinges? What works?

Pay your dues to Satan.

CY: Works for me. Shall I sacrifice virgins, or burn goats,
or maybe the flaming cross with plenty of citronella oil on
the parking lot of the church?

I had hoped to give some repair advice too, but you've got
me stumped.
You did what I would do.

CY: You want to bring a pentagram, and we'll have a seance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should call a priest!

(Oh... wait.... I *AM* a priest!)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Slacker wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with
closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a
bit,
make some kind of noise while the door is closing.

Maybe it's a cryptic message from God...

Could be. My granny used to say something was "Noisier than
the hinges on
the gates of Hell."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 7:38*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

After 20 years I found I was having to regularly(3 or 4 months) grease
my front door hinges to keep them quiet. Solution was to replace the
hinges.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Why don't you just pray to child molester Joseph Smith or doesn't your
mormon god do miracles like ours? Churches based on fraud like the
LDS would seem to be the devil's playground. That's why you'll never
make these hinges quiet.

Fraud? Do you really expect God expects us to distinguish between a
"miracle" and an entertainment magic show?

Consider Jesus. Jesus was who He was because of who He was and the miracles
he performed mean nothing. First, He did nothing that hadn't been done
before. For example, He fed the multitudes with a couple of fish and a few
bread loaves. Moses fed 300,000 with stuff that dropped from the skys.
Siegfried & Roy can feed a couple of thousand by passing out buffet tickets.

No, miracles don't prove squat. And anybody who relies on them as evidence
of divinity has been fooled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can't say as I've heard of that. What is it, and where does
one buy it?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:57:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I've found "fluid film" is the cat's meow for hinges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets see. A slam, then a lie, then an accusation, and then
discouragement, and telling me not to try. Hmm. And, who do
you sound like?

Who said "if thou be the Christ, throw yourself down"?

Answer: Satan, the deceiver. That's who you sound like.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

Why don't you just pray to child molester Joseph Smith or
doesn't your
mormon god do miracles like ours? Churches based on fraud
like the LDS
would seem to be the devil's playground. That's why you'll
never make these
hinges quiet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That may end up being the solution. We'll see. Thanks for
the field report.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

After 20 years I found I was having to regularly(3 or 4
months) grease
my front door hinges to keep them quiet. Solution was to
replace the
hinges.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's a thoughtful reply. Not often seen (manners, and
thought) on Usenet.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Fraud? Do you really expect God expects us to distinguish
between a
"miracle" and an entertainment magic show?

Consider Jesus. Jesus was who He was because of who He was
and the miracles
he performed mean nothing. First, He did nothing that hadn't
been done
before. For example, He fed the multitudes with a couple of
fish and a few
bread loaves. Moses fed 300,000 with stuff that dropped from
the skys.
Siegfried & Roy can feed a couple of thousand by passing out
buffet tickets.

No, miracles don't prove squat. And anybody who relies on
them as evidence
of divinity has been fooled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe mixed in with axle grease?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Graphite.

--

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hojgnp
:

WD-40 is **NOT** a lubricant, so don't expect
any help from it!

Somebody told you this and you believed him. But you and your informant are
incorrect. A lubricant is something that lubricates i.e. reduces the
friction between to separate sliding members.

If what you are trying to say is that WD40 is probably not the best choice
of lubricant in many cases I will agree with you.

It might not last as long as other products, it might not smell as nice as
other products, but it does in fact reduce friction, make slick and slippery
that which was not so before, so therefore it is a lubricant.

It has the advantage of being cheap and available almost everywhere. It is
easy to apply and seldom does harm when applied.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:50:33 +0000 (UTC), Tegger

And LIFTING the door after (or during) lubing helps allow some of
that lube into that "bearing" surface.

I agree with this point.

I have found it effective to use a small wedge under the hinge edge of the
door. Also a "Wonderbar" tool has just about the right amount of curve (the
straighter end) so you can lift the door by stepping on the bar with your
foot. Might want to use a piece of sheet metal (strike plate) between the
bottom of the door and the tips of the tool to prevent buggering up the
bottom of the door.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Graphite.

--

Maybe mixed in with axle grease?

Wax might be a better choice. Melt the wax, mix in some graphite, dip the
disassembled hinge parts that have been cleaned (carb/brake cleaner) and
dried, and then reassemble after cleaning the wax off the outside of the
hinge.

That would probably be effective and long lasting, but messy.

You might do almost as well taking the hinges apart and smearing on some
chap-stick with a q-tip.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 4:49*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Graphite.

--
Maybe mixed in with axle grease?

Wax might be a better choice. *Melt the wax, mix in some graphite, dip the
disassembled hinge parts that have been cleaned (carb/brake cleaner) and
dried, and then reassemble after cleaning the wax off the outside of the
hinge.

That would probably be effective and long lasting, but messy.

You might do almost as well taking the hinges apart and smearing on some
chap-stick with a q-tip.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Some heavy doors in the UK have tiny ball bearings in the hinges.
Work wonderfully well until a ball gets chipped or the lubricant dries
out. New hinge is the final solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Maybe mixed in with axle grease?

I use Industrial Chain Lube on stuff like that.
Gunk L716 Liquid Wrench Industrial Chain Lube can
be found at most auto parts stores, it's not for
O-ring type bike chains there's another one for
that purpose.

http://tinyurl.com/yeq6blc

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also lots of fun to spray over the top of a butane lighter.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved
in the solvent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could help. I'd worry more about the floor than bottom edge
of the door. Not many people look at the bottom edge.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:50:33 +0000 (UTC), Tegger

And LIFTING the door after (or during) lubing helps allow
some of
that lube into that "bearing" surface.

I agree with this point.

I have found it effective to use a small wedge under the
hinge edge of the
door. Also a "Wonderbar" tool has just about the right
amount of curve (the
straighter end) so you can lift the door by stepping on the
bar with your
foot. Might want to use a piece of sheet metal (strike
plate) between the
bottom of the door and the tips of the tool to prevent
buggering up the
bottom of the door.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in
the tube, then
they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

[...]

Do it right, and you won't need to do it again for many years.

Take the door down, clean out the hinge leaves and pins. There may be
some filthy particulate crud involved, so cover the floor/carpet. The
cleaning part is important, that dry powder residue is very abrasive.

Plain old white grease is a fantastic lube for this application (and
outdoor hinges as well). A small tube will do a lot of doors. Put a thin
coat on the pins and hinge leave bores.. a swab works well for the
bores. Don't neglect the top and bottom edges of the (thrust) load
bearing leaves. Don't over do it, or it'll be messy later. Put it back
together and thats it.

I once had a girlfriend who's front door hinges were so dry it was
physically hard to move her door... noisy too.

Anyway, I offered to lube the door, and she accepted. I pulled it down
and did the big number. There was probably a table spoon of dry rust
spooge that came out of those massive hinges...

Shortly after she called demanding the squeaks back... complained she
couldn't sleep fearing someone might now sneak in, and that light
breezes blew the door around when she left it open.

You can't win... solved the 'new' problems with a bell and doorstop.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe you are exactly right. One day, I'll have to try
the screws (metal jamb) and see if they want to come out. As
intermediate answer, I'm going to see if the hinge pins come
out, and dab in some grease.

I knew a watch repairman who found his squeaky hinge useful,
as a door alert.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Erik" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Erik wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

[...]

Another thought... could the 'groaning' you describe be coming from the
closer? Can you disconnect it's linkage and operate independently of the
door to test?

A good 'poor man's' stethoscope is to put a screwdriver blade up to the
suspected noisy component, and while operating, put your ear up to the
screwdriver handle. Use common sense and good judgment if listening to
hazardous equipment this way.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Now, that's a thoughtful reply. Not often seen (manners, and
thought) on Usenet.

Thank you, but I put a lot of thought into all my replies.

Look! A squirrel!

That's the second metric squirrel today!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Could help. I'd worry more about the floor than bottom edge
of the door. Not many people look at the bottom edge.

The bottom edge of the door is subject to splitting from the sharp end of
the tool, hence the warning.

Something to protect the floor also would be a good idea.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hojl4o
:

That's a good thought, to disconnect the closer. Have to
take a better look at that.

I've already tried white lith spray, but not as agressively
as you suggest.

The point is to use the little nozzle hose to inject the white-grease spray
into the hinge gaps as deeply and as copiously as you can. Give it time to
get shoved into the gaps. Spray the hinge gaps with the door mostly open,
and mostly closed. Do not be afraid to really soak it.

This does create backspray and mess on the door. That's why you hold a
cloth or paper towel in front of the hinge so the backspray doesn't hit you
in the face.

You can bracket the hinge with a sheet of newspaper held on by masking
tape. This will minimize door cleanup afterwards.

I've had 100% success eliminating door hinge noise using this method.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:38:13 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I tried opening and closing the door, with my fingers lightly touchng
the hinge, and can't tell which of the three is making the noise. So, on
principle, I dosed all three hinges and the door closer pivots with
WD-40, and that didn't seem to help much.

Hmm, get something with a straight edge about the same height as the door
- check the frame and hinges for alignment. Maybe something's shifted;
you might be able to tell which hinge is squeaking* and shim it with a
metal shim to bring it back into line.

* a long bit of rubber tube held up to the ear works well for detecting
where noises are coming from, too...

cheers

Jules

{ergo Floor Squeak komobu Home Repair 1 February 2nd 08 10:37 PM
safe way to get rid of a squeak from a cot? [email protected] UK diy 10 September 17th 07 08:24 PM
Hardwoor flooring squeak car crash Home Repair 1 November 26th 06 04:38 AM
persistent dryer squeak [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 27th 06 12:07 AM
Squeak in floor jeffc Home Repair 5 May 23rd 05 12:43 AM