Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hinge squeak lube advice

That's a good thought, to disconnect the closer. Have to
take a better look at that.

I've already tried white lith spray, but not as agressively
as you suggest.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message

First thing I'd suggest is pulling the pin on the closer, so
you can push
and pull the door yourself without closer assist. This
action does two
things: It eliminates the closer as a noise source, and it
makes it easier
to narrow down which hinge is making the noise.

If it is indeed a hinge that's making the noise, I find
aerosol white
grease to be very effective. WD-40 is **NOT** a lubricant,
so don't expect
any help from it! Plus WD-40 stinks.

Place the white-grease spray can nozzle directly on the
hinge seams, and
hold a paper towel over the nozzle before you fire. This
will prevent the
nozzle from spraying back into your face. You'll still have
to wipe the
door clean afterwards. Placing the nozzle directly on the
seams helps the
spray can inject the grease into the gap between hinge
halves.

Aerosol white grease is available in any auto parts store.

--
Tegger