Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what to do with leftover fuel oil?

if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 10:06*am, Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

Sell it on CL.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

If there's any quantity to speak of the distributor will take it.

If not, drain/empty it into 5-gal pail(s) and give/sell it to a neighbor
who still uses oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

use it up before you change over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2010 1:15 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with
the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

use it up before you change over.

Isn't residential fuel oil that same as
Diesel fuel ... without the motor fuel
tax and some additives?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with
the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

use it up before you change over.

Isn't residential fuel oil that same as Diesel fuel ... without the
motor fuel tax and some additives?

Basically Yes. Diesels can run on almost any heavy oil, including
biofuels, and you're right about the taxes.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Mar 25, 11:06*am, Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

==
Whatever you do, don't sell it to some swarthy individual with an
Arabic accent and who drives a half-ton loaded with fertilizer.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with
the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

use it up before you change over.

Isn't residential fuel oil that same as Diesel fuel ... without the
motor fuel tax and some additives?

Basically Yes. Diesels can run on almost any heavy oil, including
biofuels, and you're right about the taxes.

Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as that is illegal
(transportation fuel taxes) and also a problem for 2007 or newer diesels
that require ULSD fuel.

You can use it in your diesel generator, diesel tractor, diesel torpedo
heater or of course an oil furnace in a different house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:38:58 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as that is illegal
(transportation fuel taxes)

Hmm, I thought there was some way of paying the taxes and making it all
legal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 3:45*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:38:58 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as that is illegal
(transportation fuel taxes)

Hmm, I thought there was some way of paying the taxes and making it all
legal?

Frankly if I had an older diesel car or truck I'd just use it. How
are they going to catch you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:57:46 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Mar 25, 3:45Â*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:38:58 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as that is
illegal (transportation fuel taxes)

Hmm, I thought there was some way of paying the taxes and making it all
legal?

Frankly if I had an older diesel car or truck I'd just use it. How are
they going to catch you?

The smell. Oh wait, that's waste veggie oil :-) It does seem extremely
low-risk, but I'm still curious as to what the 'official' routes are. I'm
sure I once read that there was a 'proper' way of declaring it (in the
US) but I forget the details now.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, and it's a different color so the road police can see
the different color if you put it in a diesel vehicle.

Off road (think farm tractor) is legal to use. Too stinky
for indoor kerosene heaters. Works find in diesel engines
like generators.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
Isn't residential fuel oil that same as
Diesel fuel ... without the motor fuel
tax and some additives?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Different color. I kind of doubt it's possible to make it
legal.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules Richardson" wrote
in message ...
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:38:58 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as
that is illegal
(transportation fuel taxes)

Hmm, I thought there was some way of paying the taxes and
making it all
legal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with
the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

use it up before you change over.

Isn't residential fuel oil that same as Diesel fuel ... without the motor
fuel tax and some additives?

Yes, just use it in a diesel truck. Of course, you can send those taxes to
the state later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:38:58 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as that is
illegal
(transportation fuel taxes)

Hmm, I thought there was some way of paying the taxes and making it all
legal?

Frankly if I had an older diesel car or truck I'd just use it. How
are they going to catch you?

It has red dye in it for home heating. Chances of getting caught are just
about nil unless you are buying hundreds of gallons in a storage tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

Dark of night, 5 gallon bucket or pump/hose,sewer...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:06:53 -0400, Tom wrote:

if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

We left ours in the basement. We had to hire a fuel company to come in and
remove the tank when we sold though, so it wasn't such a good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds like an eco nightmare. I'd find some way to burn
it, either via engine, or furnace, or bonfire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Richard Blaine" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what
do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

Dark of night, 5 gallon bucket or pump/hose,sewer...

Posted to alt.home.repair

That, or coffee. You could put it in a garden sprayer, and
spray it on your kids for mosquito repellant. Use it to top
off Grandad's Bourbon after you steal a few shots? Same
color and all.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stepfann King"
wrote in message
Tom wrote in
:

if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what
do I do with
the fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar?
Thanks.

Use it for breakfast in place of orange juice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

Isn't residential fuel oil that same as
Diesel fuel ... without the motor fuel
tax and some additives?

So when's the last time you saw or heard about a cop sampling the fuel
in a diesel car or truck to see what color it was?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with
the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

use it up before you change over.
Isn't residential fuel oil that same as Diesel fuel ... without the
motor fuel tax and some additives?

Basically Yes. Diesels can run on almost any heavy oil, including
biofuels, and you're right about the taxes.

Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as that is illegal
(transportation fuel taxes) and also a problem for 2007 or newer diesels
that require ULSD fuel.

You can use it in your diesel generator, diesel tractor, diesel torpedo
heater or of course an oil furnace in a different house.

That would not be good advice concerning using it in a torpedo heater.
Heating oil is #2 and typical torpedo heaters use #1.

I have seen numerous cases where the "its all the same rule" was applied
and a torpedo heater was refiled with #2, got really stinky and then quit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2010 6:22 PM, Richard Blaine wrote:
Tom wrote:
if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with
the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

Dark of night, 5 gallon bucket or pump/hose,sewer...

Where do you live so the OP can do it on *YOUR* street?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not a long haul driver. But, I've heard that's a common
thing that cops do at roadside truck check and weigh
stations. For commercial trucks, of course.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

So when's the last time you saw or heard about a cop
sampling the fuel
in a diesel car or truck to see what color it was?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 10:12*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That, or coffee. You could put it in a garden sprayer, and
spray it on your kids for mosquito repellant. Use it to top
off Grandad's Bourbon after you steal a few shots? Same
color and all.

So *that* is what Starbucks uses for coffee. I knew the taste was
familiar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 9:19*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm not a long haul driver. But, I've heard that's a common
thing that cops do at roadside truck check and weigh
stations. For commercial trucks, of course.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

So when's the last time you saw or heard about a cop
sampling the fuel
in a diesel car or truck to see what color it was?

I'm not talking about putting it in a long haul rig, I'm talking about
putting it in a regular car or pickup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
[...]

I agree. I've never seen a torpedo heater made to run on fuel oil.
Only K-1 grade kerosene which is further distilled and much cleaner.

And even worse is using fuel oil in a wick type kerosene heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:41:47 -0400, George
wrote:

On 3/25/2010 1:11 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:06:53 -0400, wrote:

if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

Advertise it on Craigs List. There are people who will come and take
it for you. They might even pay you a small amount of money, but don't
count on that. If you call an oil company to come get it, it will cost
you more than you ever imagined. They will treat it as a hazardous
waste cleanup.

Or not, the hazardous waste moonsuit show only starts when the oil is
spilled. If the oil is in the tank you can call an oil company they will
send someone with a pump and they will pump it out.

Oh, you bet they will! And just wait to see what they charge. Oil that
you bought for $2.79 a gallon will cost $4-10 a gallon for removal. If
you have any notion that they will figure any value for the oil in
what they charge, guess again. They will tell you that they cannot
resell it, and it all goes to the recycler. You pay, all the way.

Slightly different circumstances- but when I called my vendor to have
my oil tank pumped so I could replace it, they pumped and gave me a
credit for market price. They said they charged a flat fee for
non-customers, but waived it for customers. [it was $40-50 IIRC]

Get some estimates!

That's the only way the OP will know.--- I'm in the 'list it on
Craig's List and get out of the way' camp. Insist they take the
tank with the oil.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

-snip-

I agree. I've never seen a torpedo heater made to run on fuel oil.
Only K-1 grade kerosene which is further distilled and much cleaner.

Check this out-
http://www.masterheaters.com/kero/

"Kerosene Heaters Use Only: Kerosene, No. 1 & 2 Diesel Fuel Oil, JP-8
Fuel or Jet A Fuel "

There are a half dozen there that burn diesel. -With cautions that
it might smell & might need more maintenance.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 1:08*pm, mike wrote:
On Mar 25, 10:06*am, Tom wrote:

if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the
fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

Sell it on CL.

Yeah, great. I can see it now... Some white trash redneck garbage
picker with a few open plastic 5 gallon pails will spill half of it on
the floor getting it out of the tanks and half of what's left carrying
it up out of the basement.

If you advertise cheap/free oil on CL, you're not going to attract
professionals to remove the old oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 3:57*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
Frankly if I had an older diesel car or truck I'd just use it. *How
are they going to catch you?

If you live in an area with a lot of agriculture, the cops frequently
pull over and "dip" the tanks on diesel vehicles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 7:56*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
So when's the last time you saw or heard about a cop sampling the fuel
in a diesel car or truck to see what color it was?

Yesterday. A local farmer got busted for running ag diesel in his
pickup truck out where I grew up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 2:23*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
Yeah, great. I can see it now... Some white trash redneck garbage
picker with a few open plastic 5 gallon pails will spill half of it on
the floor getting it out of the tanks and half of what's left carrying
it up out of the basement.

If you advertise cheap/free oil on CL, you're not going to attract
professionals to remove the old oil.

It's actually done a lot and is about the best way to get rid of it
without spending a lot of money. You may even get paid a little for
the oil.

Ask the ones who did it how much of a mess the garbage pickers made
tromping through their house in their muddy boots, swinging open pails
of salvaged heating oil. Ask them how much Cletus and Jimbob spilled
because they didn't have a pump, and tried to catch the oil out of the
drain spigot with a bucket that wouldn't fit underneath.

If you call "professionals", you are going to be unpleasantly
surprised at what they tell you.

You're going to have to call the profesionals anyway to clean up what
the garbage pickers spill all over your house...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Tony wrote:

-snip-

I agree. I've never seen a torpedo heater made to run on fuel oil.
Only K-1 grade kerosene which is further distilled and much cleaner.

Check this out-
http://www.masterheaters.com/kero/

"Kerosene Heaters Use Only: Kerosene, No. 1 & 2 Diesel Fuel Oil, JP-8
Fuel or Jet A Fuel "

There are a half dozen there that burn diesel. -With cautions that
it might smell & might need more maintenance.

Jim

Yes, I've seen plenty that are spec'd to use #2 if you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2010 3:26 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

wrote:

-snip-

I agree. I've never seen a torpedo heater made to run on fuel oil.
Only K-1 grade kerosene which is further distilled and much cleaner.

Check this out-
http://www.masterheaters.com/kero/

"Kerosene Heaters Use Only: Kerosene, No. 1& 2 Diesel Fuel Oil, JP-8
Fuel or Jet A Fuel "

There are a half dozen there that burn diesel. -With cautions that
it might smell& might need more maintenance.

Jim

Yes, I've seen plenty that are spec'd to use #2 if you want.

Sure but one needs to check. I have witnessed numerous occasions where
someone decided all fuel oil must be the same and found it wasn't after
filling a torpedo heater that couldn't handle #2 heating oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thus, the tail "for commercial trucks of course". Some
deductive logic would have hinted that I'm not talking about
passenger cars or light trucks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
I'm not a long haul driver. But, I've heard that's a
common
thing that cops do at roadside truck check and weigh
stations. For commercial trucks, of course.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

So when's the last time you saw or heard about a cop
sampling the fuel
in a diesel car or truck to see what color it was?

I'm not talking about putting it in a long haul rig, I'm
talking about
putting it in a regular car or pickup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do I hear painful experience?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Or not, the hazardous waste moonsuit show only starts when
the oil is
spilled. If the oil is in the tank you can call an oil
company they will
send someone with a pump and they will pump it out.

Oh, you bet they will! And just wait to see what they
charge. Oil that
you bought for $2.79 a gallon will cost $4-10 a gallon for
removal. If
you have any notion that they will figure any value for the
oil in
what they charge, guess again. They will tell you that they
cannot
resell it, and it all goes to the recycler. You pay, all the
way.

Get some estimates!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You da man! Great way to go.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:49:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Do I hear painful experience?

No. When I found out what it would cost from three different
companies, I ran an ad in CL and immediately got several
The oil was gone a few days later and I even got a little
money for
it.