Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Default Craftsman electric chain saw seized up...what to do?

I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ben wrote the following:
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!

Got oil???

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

On Mar 14, 6:40*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. *I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. *It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. *It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. *Does
someone have a suggestion? *Thanks in advance!!

1. *Sears will charge a minimum ($50?) whether the saw
is repairable or not.
2. *Mechanical problems can be repaired by fitting new
parts if available, and electrical problems can sometimes
be repaired too. * The OP did not say whether the casing
can be removed from either the electric motor or the
chain drive unit.
3. *Failure of the power supply cord is another possibility.

1. Since the saw cost only about $50 in the first place, a $50 repair
charge would be pretty steep!
2. The casing does seem to open on both sides---the motor side and the
chain/bar side. I removed the screws on the chain side, but opening
it fully would mean cutting through a sticker and I wanted to get some
advice if possible before I did that.
3. If you mean the extension cord that connects the saw to the outlet,
I tested that (by plugging in something else) and it's fine. There's
something definitely wrong with the saw since the chain sprocket won't
rotate.

-Ben
3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ben" wrote in message

[...]

Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

My first thought is to take the bar and chain off. Plug the
saw in, hold it safely, and quick squeeze of the trigger.

If the motor and sprocket are the problem, it will be still
dead. Some cleaning and oiling the motor might help.

On the other hand, if the chain is the problem, now you'll
hear it spin. Maybe bar too tight, or chain dried out or....

But, that will help determine which component was the
problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ben" wrote in message
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and
have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use
in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw
just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it
hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain
sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it
to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want
to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself.
Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even with the bar off?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ben" wrote in message

There's
something definitely wrong with the saw since the chain
sprocket won't
rotate.

-Ben

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ben wrote:
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!

Dollars to donuts it's the crappy trigger switch.

On my Ryobi, the interlock button broke which in turn prevented the switch
from working. If you disassemble the handle, I'll bet you'll find similar
cheesy parts. With some suitable head-scratching and experimenting you'll
probably be able to bypass whatever it is that's busted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:49:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My first thought is to take the bar and chain off. Plug the
saw in, hold it safely, and quick squeeze of the trigger.

Agree.

If the motor and sprocket are the problem, it will be still
dead. Some cleaning and oiling the motor might help.

On the other hand, if the chain is the problem, now you'll
hear it spin. Maybe bar too tight, or chain dried out or....

Bent / kinked chain...causing a bind.

But, that will help determine which component was the
problem.

The other comment to check the switch would be my second choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Got oil???

Yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

Ben wrote the following:
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!

Got oil???

it's probably got sap gumming up the works.
Maybe a spray of PB Blaster penetrating oil would help.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

"Ben" wrote in message

[...]

If it's out of warranty why are you concerned about breaking the
sticker? Open the chain side and see if something is stuck in there
or the chain has jumped partway off the sprocket. Electrical problems
like a cord or bad switch wouldn't prevent the chain & sprocket from
turning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Ben wrote the following:
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!

Got oil???

Take it back and get a new one for free. Craftsman is guaranteed for life.

--
LSMFT

Drive slower than the posted speed.............................
And you too can become a fracking prick..............
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:04:56 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

willshak wrote:
Ben wrote the following:
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!

Got oil???

Take it back and get a new one for free. Craftsman is guaranteed for life.

That's not just hand tools?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:56:28 -0400, mm
wrote:

Take it back and get a new one for free. Craftsman is guaranteed for life.

That's not just hand tools?

If a water hose is marked Craftsman, I've gotten replacements before.
Not just tools.

Still I have two 50' Craftsman hoses that need to go back for my
lifetime warranty. I've done this before.

Now they want to give you the replacement that is not marked
Craftsman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 9:04*pm, LSMFT wrote:
willshak wrote:
Ben wrote the following:
[...]

guarnteed for life for a Flys life that is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 3:50*pm, Ben wrote:
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. *I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. *It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. *It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. *Does
someone have a suggestion? *Thanks in advance!!

Take off the chain and bar grab the motor shaft with pliers, if it
doesnt turn freely easily the bearings are shot, maybe you can get it
to turn, maybe but unlikely they can be oiled, open it up and look. If
it turns easily without the bar maybe its the bar seized to the chain
from no oil, if no power maybe the plug or switch, open and use a
meter. A set of bearings is cheap but who knows if its esy to replace
them by their thow away design.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 10:04*pm, LSMFT wrote:
Take it back and get a new one for free. Craftsman is guaranteed for life..

Not on power tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 5:10*pm, wrote:
On Mar 14, 10:04*pm, LSMFT wrote:

Take it back and get a new one for free. Craftsman is guaranteed for life.

Not on power tools.

If it's not a bit of crap jamming in the chain sprocket, the most
likely thing is the gearbox. On most electric saws the motor needs to
be geared down to develope enough torque.
Remove the bar and chain and see if the chain sprocket is free to
turn.
There's also a sprocket on the end of the bar that must spin freely.
The bearing on this can disintegrate, especially if there has been a
dearth of oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2010 04:50 PM, Ben wrote:
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!

Take it back and get a new one free. All Craftsman tools are guaranteed
for life.

--
LSFT

Drive a little slower than the posted speed.......
And you too can become a fracking prick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 8:56*am, LSMFT wrote:
On 03/14/2010 04:50 PM, Ben wrote: I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. *I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped
cold. *It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't
rotate at all. *It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. *Does
someone have a suggestion? *Thanks in advance!!

Take it back and get a new one free. All Craftsman tools are guaranteed
for life.

--
LSFT

Drive a little slower than the posted speed.......
And you too can become a fracking prick.

Can't you read? That is only hand tools. Not power tools. Never has
been power tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can't you read? �That is only hand tools. �Not power tools. �Never has
been power tools.-

Yes and sears no longer offers satisfaction guaranteed or your money
back.

Incidently I heard the company lost money in the christmas selling
season. They sold off the Craftsman tool brand, are now only a
licensee. Kenmore is for sale if its not already sold.

Sears is on its way out and K mart too.

I quit shopping at sears unwillingly to wait in long lines while
clerks try to huckster credit cards to every customer.

I lef my last purchase at the register and asked are you a merchant or
a bank?

Even craftman tools arent what they used to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 7:56*am, LSMFT wrote:
[...]

Thats a joke right, 30 days on some junk, but most is just decent
homeowner grade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 8:34*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Mar 16, 8:56*am, LSMFT wrote:

[...]

been power tools.- Hide quoted text -

Not the tape measures any more on the tape, I was there a few weeks
ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

OK, I opened up the saw. The clutch that's attached to the chain
brake lever seems to perform two functions---preventing the lock
button from doing it's job (pressing a switch inside) and locking up
the motor so that the sprocket doesn't turn. I was somehow able to
make it all work again for a moment, but it stopped almost
immediately. I can hear the lock button engaging the switch (a small
click that doesn't happen when the chain brake is on) but the saw
still won't start. Frustrating! I can take it apart again and look
at the clutch (there are actually two clutches according to the parts
diagram), but I'm not sure exactly what to do with them.

Thanks again,
-Ben

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 10:50*pm, Ben wrote:
OK, I opened up the saw. *The clutch that's attached to the chain
brake lever seems to perform two functions---preventing the lock
button from doing it's job (pressing a switch inside) and locking up
the motor so that the sprocket doesn't turn. *I was somehow able to
make it all work again for a moment, but it stopped almost
immediately. *I can hear the lock button engaging the switch (a small
click that doesn't happen when the chain brake is on) but the saw
still won't start. *Frustrating! *I can take it apart again and look
at the clutch (there are actually two clutches according to the parts
diagram), but I'm not sure exactly what to do with them.

Thanks again,
-Ben

I'm surprised there is a clutch on an electric saw. There is a
centrifugal clutch on petrol saw so that the motor can idle.
There is a "kick back" brake on all saws, the purpose is to instantly
stop the saw if it kicks back. It's linked to the reset lever on the
top side of the saw, there is a weight on this calculated to trip the
brake. (This is the thing you pull back to reset the brake.) It's
connected to a switch to simultaneously turn off the power when it
operates.
You need to test the motor and the switch operation while the chain&
bar is removed, ideally with an electrical continuity/resistance
meter.

When an electric motor (with carbon brushes) operates intermitantly,
it's sometimes the case that a single circuit in the armature is open
circuit. If the motor happens to come to rest with the brushes on this
circuit, it won't work. The clue is lots of sparking at the brushes
and a burnt segment on the commutator. Also if you move the armature
slightly it runs.
In this event you need a new armature or these days, it's likely to be
junk.
TURN THE POWER OFF BEFORE YOU MESS WITH IT :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to willshak, homeyson wrote:
I ordered a work electric chainsaw it came with oil I have not had it to run
the first time any suggestion unhappy saw owner

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...do-430383-.htm