Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman electric chain saw seized up...what to do?

My first thought is to take the bar and chain off. Plug the
saw in, hold it safely, and quick squeeze of the trigger.

If the motor and sprocket are the problem, it will be still
dead. Some cleaning and oiling the motor might help.

On the other hand, if the chain is the problem, now you'll
hear it spin. Maybe bar too tight, or chain dried out or....

But, that will help determine which component was the
problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ben" wrote in message
I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and
have used
it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use
in all. I
was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw
just stopped
cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it
hadn't.
Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain
sprocket won't
rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it
to Sears
and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want
to pay, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself.
Does
someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!