Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bar oil for electric chain saw.

I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2010 12:15 AM, willshak wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

It should work fine, that's what I use in my electric chain saw without
any problems.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Mar 2, 11:15*pm, willshak wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

==
The bar oil for the gas chain saw will be fine.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 01:15:48 -0500, willshak
wrote:

I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

The manual that came with mine said to use 30weight motor oil.

That said- I use what I have & just make sure it is oiling the bar.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain saw
or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Unless the manual says differently, regular bar and chain oil is fine.

Do note that most of the electric ones do not have an auto oilier so you
need to pump it a couple of strokes each time and the tightness of the oil
cap affects the flow.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , willshak wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

There's no such thing as "bar oil for a gas chain saw". It's just "bar oil".
For any kind of chain saw. What you have will work just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered

tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an

electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for

electrics?

I have an electric chain saw with a **** poor bar oiler. It
runs out on the floor when you are not using it or else it
clogs and won't oil anything. I use an oil can to lubricate
the bar. It's a Remington 3.0 hp and cuts like a champ.
I love the way it cuts, just hate the oiler.
--
LSMFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote:

-snip-
Do note that most of the electric ones do not have an auto oilier so you
need to pump it a couple of strokes each time and the tightness of the oil
cap affects the flow.

I've got 2- one on a pole- both cheapies-- and both have (lousy)
auto-oilers. Both get stored in buckets as whatever oil is left in
them after a job runs out.

But for $30-40 I still like the little toys.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote the following:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow.
I have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric
chain saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

Thanks to all responding. I'll use the bar oil I have.
To LSMFT. I forgot where I read it ( it could have been here) but
regarding the bar oil leaking out of the saw when stored, the remedy is
to store the saw, with the bar end up, to keep the oil from leaking onto
the blade, shelf, and floor.
I haven't done it yet, my chain saw died a couple of years ago and I
haven't needed a saw until this storm. I bought the pole saw for the
tree branches that are split and hanging down onto my shed, walk, and
driveway. I'll wait until the snow melts down to a foot or less to get a
gas chain saw for those branches and downed trees in the back yard that
are too far from electric outlets and are not posing any current
interference with moving around.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"willshak" wrote in message
news
[...]

I have an electric saw I use extensively and all it see's for oil is red
transmission oil never skipped a beat since 1993, used same chain and has
been a reliable saw (Remington) Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain saw
or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

--

Bill

Same stuff. As a side note, there is a difference in two stroke oils, one
being for air cooled engines, and the other for water cooled engines. I'd
say use the air cooled two stroke oil when you mix gas for your chain saw.
You will not be able to use it in the electric saw, but it WILL work better
for your regular chain saw. g

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain saw
or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

--

Bill

Same stuff. Get yourself a pack of pipe cleaners to keep the oil channel
clean. If you can ever find a tube brush that small, they work great.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , willshak
wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

There's no such thing as "bar oil for a gas chain saw". It's just "bar
oil".
For any kind of chain saw. What you have will work just fine.

If that is the case, then you can just use a thicker weight auto engine oil.
It's a damn sight cheaper.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
news
[...]

A lot of saws have a hole drilled in the end of the bar that the saw can be
hung from. If not, drill one, just make sure you don't hit the chain
roller. That will put the oil tank in the down position, and the hole in
the up position. Makes it handy to store and take up less space, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

There's no such thing as "bar oil for a gas chain saw". It's just "bar
oil".
For any kind of chain saw. What you have will work just fine.

If that is the case, then you can just use a thicker weight auto engine oil.
It's a damn sight cheaper.

Steve

Any lighter weight oil will do. I often use the cheap transmission
oil as another poster also said. In the winter it doesn't get as
thick. But I'll put just about anything in, left over power steering
or brake fluid, motor cycle fork oil, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

There's no such thing as "bar oil for a gas chain saw". It's just "bar
oil".
For any kind of chain saw. What you have will work just fine.

If that is the case, then you can just use a thicker weight auto engine oil.
It's a damn sight cheaper.

Yes, but it's not the same stuff. Bar and chain oil is stickier. You can use
motor oil, but you use a lot more of it because it gets slung off the chain
faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

There's no such thing as "bar oil for a gas chain saw". It's just "bar
oil".
For any kind of chain saw. What you have will work just fine.

If that is the case, then you can just use a thicker weight auto engine
oil.
It's a damn sight cheaper.

Steve

Any lighter weight oil will do. I often use the cheap transmission
oil as another poster also said. In the winter it doesn't get as
thick. But I'll put just about anything in, left over power steering
or brake fluid, motor cycle fork oil, etc.

reply: Thank you. I learned something. That makes my day, learning
something every day. There have been times when I was out of bar oil and
didn't run my saw. Now, I'll use bar oil when I have it, and use other
things, which I have several gallons of, when I don't have bar oil. BTW, I
bought a gallon of bar oil whilst at the local farm supply house on sale,
still high in price with relations to other lubricating fluids.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bar oil for electric chain saw. (gas mix oil comment)

Years ago, my small engine repair instructor told
us the "outboard engine" gas mix oil won't hand
the higher temperatures of air cooled engines.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in
message ...

As a side note, there is a difference in two
stroke oils, one
being for air cooled engines, and the other for
water cooled engines. I'd
say use the air cooled two stroke oil when you mix
gas for your chain saw.
You will not be able to use it in the electric
saw, but it WILL work better
for your regular chain saw. g

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Same stuff. Marketed by the people who sell tire
pressure gages, and next to that "Radial tire...
pressure gage". The radial gage costs a buck more.

Bar and chain oil is more sticky, and better for
use with chainsaws.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in
message
m...
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being
delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used
in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil
for electrics?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

There's no such thing as "bar oil for a gas chain saw". It's just "bar
oil".
For any kind of chain saw. What you have will work just fine.

If that is the case, then you can just use a thicker weight auto engine oil.
It's a damn sight cheaper.

Yes, but it's not the same stuff. Bar and chain oil is stickier. You can use
motor oil, but you use a lot more of it because it gets slung off the chain
faster.

Motor oil is a lubricant albeit lighter than bar oil which pours like
molasses, but like others have said they used, transmission fluid and
brake fluid are hydraulic fluids and may have lubricant properties, but
I would rather have a fluid designed for pure lubrication, and like you
said, motor oil gets slung off the chain faster.
I'll use the real bar oil.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Steve B" wrote in message

reply: Thank you. I learned something. That makes my day, learning
something every day. There have been times when I was out of bar oil and
didn't run my saw. Now, I'll use bar oil when I have it, and use other
things, which I have several gallons of, when I don't have bar oil. BTW,
I bought a gallon of bar oil whilst at the local farm supply house on
sale, still high in price with relations to other lubricating fluids.

Steve

Steve, the multi-visicoty oils work but do sling a little. 30W
non-detergent works fine. Most what I personally use.

Have a friend who lives on a farm. Never uses anything but old filtered
motor oil from his cars, tractors or whatever. His heavily used 25 year
old saw seemed to be going strong the last time I saw it.

As I was watching mine, I figured so long as it doesn't go dry, that it
wouldn't matter. And yes, the thinner, the more sling. I just wasn't sure.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote

I'll use the real bar oil.

Me, too. But it is nice to know that I can use other lubricants in a pinch.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain saw
or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

--

Bill

Same stuff. Get yourself a pack of pipe cleaners to keep the oil channel
clean. If you can ever find a tube brush that small, they work great.

Steve

I have not checked it out, but have read that the Bar oil is made to break
down and not harm nature. Good for the environment , where regular motor
type oil is bad for the environment.
If it were not for that, just about any oil would be ok .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:58:52 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"willshak" wrote

I'll use the real bar oil.

Me, too. But it is nice to know that I can use other lubricants in a pinch.

Yes. Never hurts to have an ole pump oil can around. Squirt some "erl"
on the blade and chain. Rotate the blade a few turns as you do this,
wipe away "dripping" oil. It helps prevet all this "slinging" oil
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

snipped

You still in Sin City, Bubba? Going there Friday.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:30:42 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote

snipped

You still in Sin City, Bubba? Going there Friday.

Steve

Bring me a case of vine ripe tomatoes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2010 11:15 PM, willshak wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

What's the manual say?

Mine says use 10w-30 motor oil. Bar & chain oil for gas machines may be
too thick for an electric.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Oren" wrote

snipped

You still in Sin City, Bubba? Going there Friday.

Steve

Bring me a case of vine ripe tomatoes.

Got laid up, and the greenhouse is still on the list. My neighbor has just
a visqueen greenhouse, and he was getting tomatoes VERY early last year. I
will check, and ping you in the group. I thought I was coming Friday, but
the CC&R's on the property aren't available yet. May be next week.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in

I have always wondered why it's colored????

Not sure about the oil coloration, maybe to differentiate it because it is
so thick, and may have additives that would cause failure if run in a
regular crankcase. The State of Utah has two tax rates on their diesel
fuel. The one for farm use is taxed a lot less, and is dyed. But if you
get caught running it in a vehicle with a license plate on it, I understand
it is a big fine.

Steve, a Utard

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've also heard that bar oil is more sticky. I
find that to be the case.

Colored? Affirmative Action. That kind of oil
wasn't allowed in bars for many years, especially
in the deep south.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I was told the advantage to the "bar oil" is that
it has an addative
to make it stick better to the chain and the bar.
Whether this is
true, I am not sure.

I really do not know if it's any better
than plain motor oil. I do think it's a little
thicker than 30W oil.
I have always wondered why it's colored????

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Doug Miller, modeler4 wrote:
but how is the oiler going to know the oil is getting flung off faster, won't
the oil just come out at the same rate? unless you have a manual oiler.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...aw-428091-.htm