Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Yellow Jacket's Nest in the wall

I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hibb" wrote in message
I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David

I'll bet you were glad.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 10, 11:55*am, hibb wrote:
I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David

Did you save any of the honey?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 1:39*pm, Joe wrote:
On Mar 10, 11:55*am, hibb wrote:

I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David

Did you save any of the honey?

Joe

No, and don't call me Honey.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

Big nest, but someone used too much of the sharpen filter.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hibb" wrote in message
I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David

Holy Moly! That's HUGE! I got bit last summer by five of them before I
knew what was going on. You can't feel them touch you, but you sure do feel
the fire. If they would have been at home, someone else would have been
writing this for you.

For everyone, I heard ammonia is the best thing to put on their sting.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2010 12:55 PM, hibb wrote:
I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David

Hope you got their entrance sealed. They tend to come back to the same
spot, holes in wall or ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 5:52*pm, Frank wrote:
On 3/10/2010 12:55 PM, hibb wrote:

I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David

Hope you got their entrance sealed. *They tend to come back to the same
spot, holes in wall or ground.

This house had the foam insulation installed by drilling holes in the
outside walls but some of the cavities were not hit so I found two
nests and both were in the cavities where there was no insulation.
Here is a pic of what happens to that foam insulation after a while.
It doesn't do a very good job.

http://tinypic.com/r/v3ko5l/5

That room is a lot warmer now that I have it insulated properly.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 3:07*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
hibb wrote:
I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

Big nest, but someone used too much of the sharpen filter.

Jon

Guilty as charged.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hibb" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 5:52 pm, Frank wrote:
On 3/10/2010 12:55 PM, hibb wrote:

I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David

Hope you got their entrance sealed. They tend to come back to the same
spot, holes in wall or ground.

This house had the foam insulation installed by drilling holes in the
outside walls but some of the cavities were not hit so I found two
nests and both were in the cavities where there was no insulation.
Here is a pic of what happens to that foam insulation after a while.
It doesn't do a very good job.

http://tinypic.com/r/v3ko5l/5

That room is a lot warmer now that I have it insulated properly.

David

*************

Be careful that you don't set up conditions for rot to set in. I was
considering the same thing before reading how blown-in wall insulation
keeps wood from drying. Termite heaven!

Jm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 11:44*pm, "DemoDisk" wrote:
"hibb" wrote in message

On Mar 10, 5:52 pm, Frank wrote:

[...]

I remodeled the room only using fiberglass bat insulation in the walls
and ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 7:44*pm, hibb wrote:
On Mar 10, 5:52*pm, Frank wrote:

On 3/10/2010 12:55 PM, hibb wrote:

I'm just glad this nest was abandoned when I popped that piece of
drywall off.

http://tinypic.com/r/29ap4aw/5

David

Hope you got their entrance sealed. *They tend to come back to the same
spot, holes in wall or ground.

This house had the foam insulation installed by drilling holes in the
outside walls but some of the cavities were not hit so I found two
nests and both were in the cavities where there was no insulation.
Here is a pic of what happens to that foam insulation after a while.
It doesn't do a very good job.

http://tinypic.com/r/v3ko5l/5

That room is a lot warmer now that I have it insulated properly.

David

I had a couple of spots around outdoor lighting fixtures where they
would enter and build nests.
Only solution was to caulk around fixture. Another spot in
uninsulated garage attracts them and every few years they become a
problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0182826AA5wRNL

Here's a non poisonous suggestion. I buy yellow jacket traps, and they work
okay. They also use apple juice as an attractant.

You can make your own out of quart jars or bigger ones from gallon jars for
nearly free.

Apple juice works best for me. Some people use raw meat and let it get
skanky.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just wanted to post a little cautionary note about Yellow
Jackets around the home. The retired director of the Fort Wayne
(IN) Children's Zoo was a very nice fellow named Earl Wells. He
had a small farm outside the community and retired to it to raise
Llamas- his hobby. One day, Earl set up a ladder to wash the
windows of his house and the ladder sunk into a Yellow Jacket
nest. They attacked him and as I recall, Earl had over 1000
stings. He was rushed to the hospital, but it was too late. . .
one BAD way to die.

Should I ever encounter Yellow Jackets around my home, I'd nuke
them immediately.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter’s rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nonny wrote:
I just wanted to post a little cautionary note about Yellow
Jackets around the home. The retired director of the Fort Wayne
(IN) Children's Zoo was a very nice fellow named Earl Wells. He
had a small farm outside the community and retired to it to raise
Llamas- his hobby. One day, Earl set up a ladder to wash the
windows of his house and the ladder sunk into a Yellow Jacket
nest. They attacked him and as I recall, Earl had over 1000
stings. He was rushed to the hospital, but it was too late. . .
one BAD way to die.

Should I ever encounter Yellow Jackets around my home, I'd nuke
them immediately.

We have them around here, and I've found them to be extremely tolerant of my
presence, even while fiddling around near their nest. Definitely less
dangerous than the African bees which are taking over the country.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-03-11, Nonny wrote:
nest. They attacked him and as I recall, Earl had over 1000
stings. He was rushed to the hospital, but it was too late. . .
one BAD way to die.

Major bummer! I know of which you speak, having been attacked when I
was about 4 yrs old, but only a couple doz stings. Still....

Should I ever encounter Yellow Jackets around my home, I'd nuke
them immediately.

I moved to the high CO Rockies (8K ft elev). More damn hornets and
wasps then I ever knew existed. One even looks like a furry Gurnsey
cow, blk n wht and a hundred percent larger than the rest. Anyway,
they're freakin' everywhere and start nest building like crazy in late
Summer. They get in the house no matter what and I've seen them
trying to start a nest on the brass ceiling dome cover for our ceiling
fan. I've discovered most hornet/wasp aerosols like Black Flag and
Ace Hardware house brand enough to keep the bastids at bay. These
typically shoot a 7-8 foot straight stream fairly accurately, with a
little practice. I can hit 'em on the fly. I've even sprayed a 3-5
sec blast into blind holes I've see wasps entering and leaving and it
usually kills them off or ruins it for them and I see no more
activity. Black Flag sells two cans for $10. Worth every cent and
the liquid doesn't appear to stain interior wall paint. I'm making
dual quick draw belt holsters next Summer!!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2010-03-11, Nonny wrote:
[...]

The electrical supply house sells the non conductive wasp/hornet spray.
The critters often build their nests in or around high voltage gear.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:39:51 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

Did you save any of the honey?

Yellow jackets are in the wasp family and don't make honey.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:28:27 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:39:51 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

Did you save any of the honey?

Yellow jackets are in the wasp family and don't make honey.

Somebody caught it :-\

Never treat them the same way as dear flies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:39:51 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

Did you save any of the honey?

Yellow jackets are in the wasp family and don't make honey.

Somebody caught it :-\

I did on the first post. But, as always .........................

Here, in Utah, I have seen wasp nests bigger than a bowling ball. More the
size of two bowling balls. We drove a dirt road from Summit, Utah, that
came out at the base of a Brian Head ski lift. It was in the fall when the
aspen leaves had fallen. There were a surprisingly large number of the
nests, which were highly visible because of the lack of leaves. Had we gone
in foliage, we could not have seen how many. I took a pic, but can't find
it. If I ever get up there again, I will take another. They were
frighteningly large. I am surprised how many of them survive the brutal
winters there.

I got stung by five yellow jackets at once this year on my property. I
can't imagine a bunch of those after you. ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

Steve