Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of batteries...

"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) has warned
that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains
a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system access."

http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer...tware-backdoor

Technical stuff
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blog...arger-software

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) has warned
that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains
a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system access."

http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer...-software-back
door

I guess the biggest question is why a product like this even exists.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote the following:
In article , "HeyBub" wrote:

"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) has warned
that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains
a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system access."

http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer...-software-back
door

I guess the biggest question is why a product like this even exists.

Don't we have enough USB powered gadgets, and why does it need a program?
I have an AC powered Radio Shack battery charger that can charge 4 or 2
Ni-Cads or NiMhs, either AA or AAAs, or 2 AAs and 2 AAAs at the same time.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) has
warned that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery
charger contains a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system
access."

http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer...-software-back

door

I guess the biggest question is why a product like this even exists.

Don't we have enough USB powered gadgets, and why does it need a program?
I have an AC powered Radio Shack battery charger that can charge 4 or
2 Ni-Cads or NiMhs, either AA or AAAs, or 2 AAs and 2 AAAs at the same
time.

Not sold anymore.
http://hothardware.com/News/Energize...Vulnerability/
How to fix if you have one.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/19105...y_charger.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:07*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) has warned
that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains
a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system access."

http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer...mes-with-a-sof...

Technical stuffhttp://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/trojan-found-usb-battery-charge...

Its happened a few times recently, you get a free virus in a new
product, Vodaphone has an issue just posted today at MaximumPC, it
contained several botnets even conficker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) has warned
that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains
a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system access."

http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer...tware-backdoor

Technical stuff
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blog...arger-software

I've wondered if Toyota is getting it's computer chips from China and
a vehicle based cyber attack is actually going on?

Oh yea, I'm guessing the battery chargers are manufactured in China.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Not sold anymore.
http://hothardware.com/News/Energize...Vulnerability/
How to fix if you have one.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/19105...y_charger.html

So they stop selling the battery charger, which has no problem, for the sole
reason that the software which doesn't come with it and has to be downloaded
seperately has a trojan.

Makes perfect sense.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the head up. That's totally worth knowing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team
(US-CERT) has warned
that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery
charger contains
a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system access."

http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer...tware-backdoor

Technical stuff
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blog...arger-software

Posted to alt.home.repair

THAT'S why I keep finding it there, breathing heavily.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I have an AC powered Radio Shack battery charger that can
charge 4 or 2
Ni-Cads or NiMhs, either AA or AAAs, or 2 AAs and 2 AAAs at
the same time.

There was a problem with those Radio Shack battery chargers.
When you
aren't home, it's rummaging around in your wife's underwear
drawer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

willshak wrote:

Not sold anymore.
http://hothardware.com/News/Energize...r-Taken-Off-Ma
rket-For-Security-Vulnerability/ How to fix if you have one.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/19105..._trojan_in_bat
tery_charger.html

So they stop selling the battery charger, which has no problem, for
the sole reason that the software which doesn't come with it and has
to be downloaded seperately has a trojan.

Makes perfect sense.

Jon

WHERE did the software originate? China?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-03-10, HeyBub wrote:
"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) has warned
that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains
a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system access."

So? What do you gain by accessing a battery?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's as on topic as moldy cheese in the sock drawer!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Moldy Cheese" wrote in message