Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower diverter problem -- Answers anyone??

I have a Moen shower set-up, which works fine, except lately the
diverter (I think that is the name of the part) seems to bind a bit
when I push it in to divert water from the tub spout to the shower
head.

Probably doesn't make any difference, but it closely resembles the
picture of this set-up that I found on the Amazon.com Web site:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SS500_.jpg

So, the part I am talking about is the little -- probably quarter-inch
in diameter "push-pull" chrome rod that you can see below the large On-
Off round plastic handle in the picture.

What I was thinking was to spray a bit of Silcone lubricant or maybe
even some PB Blaster penetrating oil. Is this a good idea, bad idea?

Anyone with any better ideas, other than replacing the valve. :o ?
Tim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:30:08 -0800 (PST), tim birr
wrote:

I have a Moen shower set-up, which works fine, except lately the
diverter

Tim

Yea, that's a diverter. They tend to do that after a while. I
don't worry about it unitl it becomes a functional issue. It it gets
bad I replave the assembly.

I would worry about using any kind of solvent. The silcone,
might work for a while, but I doubt if anything other than replacement
will work for long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a Moen shower set-up, which works fine, except lately the
diverter

Tim

* * Yea, that's a diverter. *They tend to do that after a while. *I
don't worry about it unitl it becomes a functional issue. It it gets
bad I replave the assembly.

* * * * I would worry about using any kind of solvent. *The silcone,
might work for a while, but I doubt if anything other than replacement
will work for long.

Can you force some vinegar into the area in question, it should help
dissolve any crud build-up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 11:27*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Can you force some vinegar into the area in question, it should help
dissolve any crud build-up.

Didn't think about mineral build-up -- I've been using something
called Mineral Magic around the house lately....it works very
slowly....like it takes months of using on a weekly basis...but it
does eventually -- SIGH -- seem to do the job.

Supposedly, it is "environmentally friendly" and while it does not
bother my skin in the least, it burns the hell out of my Danish "milk
maid" wife's hands. So, I could try that. I live on a farm and have
some ultra-fine 25-gauge syringes around that might just be able to
get some of this gunk into the space.

This mineral stuff says it is: organic urea salt, mild surfactants --
it wouldn't screw up anything in there, would it....I know there are
probably much faster and better products, but wife is really on an
environmental kick lately.

The Web site for Mineral Magic: http://www.oxyboost.com/products/mineral_magic.html

Or maybe try vinegar first and then the MM....AAARRGH

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tim birr" wrote in message
I have a Moen shower set-up, which works fine, except lately the
diverter (I think that is the name of the part) seems to bind a bit
when I push it in to divert water from the tub spout to the shower
head.

Probably doesn't make any difference, but it closely resembles the
picture of this set-up that I found on the Amazon.com Web site:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SS500_.jpg

So, the part I am talking about is the little -- probably quarter-inch
in diameter "push-pull" chrome rod that you can see below the large On-
Off round plastic handle in the picture.

What I was thinking was to spray a bit of Silcone lubricant or maybe
even some PB Blaster penetrating oil. Is this a good idea, bad idea?

Anyone with any better ideas, other than replacing the valve. :o ?
Tim

Turn off the water
Pop the center out of the knob
Unscrew the screw in the center of the knob and the screws on the chrome
trim piece/cover.
Take off the chrome cover and the knob.
Locate the nut on the diverter and unscrew it.
Clean and delime it
reassemble in reverse order
Turn water back on
Check for leaks
Should now work fine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 2:36*pm, tim birr wrote:
On Feb 27, 11:27*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

1 - Grab the Mineral Magic.
2 - Grab one of wife's Milk Maid hands.
3 - Walk them both over to the garbage can.
4 - Say "Honey, because this stuff hurts your hands, we're not going
to use it any more.
5 - Toss it (the MM) in the garbage.
6 - Say "We're going to use vinegar from now on. It's cheaper, it's
works much faster than MM and it won't hurt your delicate hands. I
love you."

Seriously - it takes *months* for that stuff to work? There ain't no
magic in that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roanin" wrote in message

Turn off the water
Pop the center out of the knob
Unscrew the screw in the center of the knob and the screws on the chrome
trim piece/cover.
Take off the chrome cover and the knob.
Locate the nut on the diverter and unscrew it.
Clean and delime it
reassemble in reverse order
Turn water back on
Check for leaks
Should now work fine

Agree with all of the above, but before you reassemble, lube it with
plumbers grease. (Available at any good hardware store.)

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 11:30*am, tim birr wrote:
I have a Moen shower set-up, which works fine, except lately the
diverter (I think that is the name of the part) seems to bind a bit
when I push it in to divert water from the tub spout to the shower
head.

Probably doesn't make any difference, but it closely resembles the
picture of this set-up that I found on the Amazon.com Web site:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SS500_.jpg

So, the part I am talking about is the little -- probably quarter-inch
in diameter "push-pull" chrome rod that you can see below the large On-
Off round plastic handle in the picture.

What I was thinking was to spray a bit of Silcone lubricant or maybe
even some PB Blaster penetrating oil. *Is this a good idea, bad idea?

Anyone with any better ideas, other than replacing the valve. :o ?
Tim

if you do lube it with something don't use pb, it has a bad habit of
eating rubber parts, had that stuff break down ruber gromets before
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, OP Again!

Thanks all for your suggestions! I KNOW the replacement suggestion is
probably the best and most long-lasting of all, and I will keep the
instructions handy in my gmail folder. But this IS a 1970's era
fiberglass tub and I am afraid if Imess around too much, I may
inadvertently crack/stress the fiberglass.

And, since I already had to pull out one other showerstall from that
era in the second bathroom because of that very problem (cracked
fiberglass) about 9 months ago, not ready to chance that quite yet.

Anyway, I put a generous amount of Duralube Silicone spray on it
yesterday, worked the diverter back and forth several times and
finally left it in the "pushed in" position for about six hours. It
now works very smoothly for the time being. Time will tell.

And, yes, the mineral magic does work very slowly, but I am using it
on a toilet that has had "disgusting" hard water deposits for the past
15 years that we tried to remove with any number of items -- with no
luck. So, far, using the Mineral Magic since about May, I have
managed to get about 75 percent of the deposits off. Once a week
treatment. I figure I will go through the entire gallon about the time
it all goes away!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:00:46 -0800 (PST), tim birr
wrote:

[...]

OP,

.."a toilet that has had "disgusting" hard water deposits.."

Have a look here.

Muriatic Acid Method

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 12:16*pm, Oren wrote:

.."a toilet that has had "disgusting" hard water deposits.."

Have a look here.

Muriatic Acid Method

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Septic System, no Muriatic and as little Clorox as possible. Shrug.
Also, toilet itself is fine, no clogs, the little under rim holes are
open, just a ton of iron deposits along the top quarter of the bowl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Moen shower set-up, which works fine, except lately the
diverter (I think that is the name of the part) seems to bind a bit
when I push it in to divert water from the tub spout to the shower
head.

Probably doesn't make any difference, but it closely resembles the
picture of this set-up that I found on the Amazon.com Web site:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SS500_.jpg

So, the part I am talking about is the little -- probably quarter-inch
in diameter "push-pull" chrome rod that you can see below the large On-
Off round plastic handle in the picture.

What I was thinking was to spray a bit of Silcone lubricant or maybe
even some PB Blaster penetrating oil. Is this a good idea, bad idea?

Anyone with any better ideas, other than replacing the valve. :o ?
Tim

When that happens to me I just replace the tub spout.