Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorbell Update

Today my friend, figured out how to change my current battery operated
doorbell to a wired doorbell .

There were three sets of wires inside my guest coat closet, in the entry
way. One set goes to the back door, and one set goes to the front door.
The third set of wires is behind the fuse box in the garage. There is
no transformer there so I will be buying that tomorrow along with a
doorbell unit. We tested all of the wires and they are in working order.

It is supposed to be very easy to install, and I will be so happy about
this.

I am still wondering why the people who built my home, eleven years ago,
did not wire in a doorbell.

Thanks to all, and I will post again when the job gets done Sunday.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote
I am still wondering why the people who built my home, eleven years ago,
did not wire in a doorbell.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2010 3:49 AM, Kate wrote:
Today my friend, figured out how to change my current battery operated
doorbell to a wired doorbell .

There were three sets of wires inside my guest coat closet, in the entry
way. One set goes to the back door, and one set goes to the front door.
The third set of wires is behind the fuse box in the garage. There is no
transformer there so I will be buying that tomorrow along with a
doorbell unit. We tested all of the wires and they are in working order.

It is supposed to be very easy to install, and I will be so happy about
this.

I am still wondering why the people who built my home, eleven years ago,
did not wire in a doorbell.

Thanks to all, and I will post again when the job gets done Sunday.

Kate

It's funny, in my old neighborhood,
southwestern suburbs of Chicago, every
house had a wired doorbell. Here in the
western Carolina mountains, almost
nobody has one. My builder said that he
never has put a doorbell in any of the
houses he built. Of course, I stupidly
had one put in with a button on the
front door. I'm not sure anyone, other
than me, will every use that door, when
visiting. I should have put it on the
back door. But even that would be
stupid as we will have a screened porch
with the back door inside the porch.
So, it would probably be better to have
the button on the door going into the
porch. I'll probably do that when I
screen in the porch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Today my friend, figured out how to change my current battery operated
doorbell to a wired doorbell .

There were three sets of wires inside my guest coat closet, in the entry
way. One set goes to the back door, and one set goes to the front door.
The third set of wires is behind the fuse box in the garage. There is
no transformer there so I will be buying that tomorrow along with a
doorbell unit. We tested all of the wires and they are in working order.

It is supposed to be very easy to install, and I will be so happy about
this.

I am still wondering why the people who built my home, eleven years ago,
did not wire in a doorbell.

Thanks to all, and I will post again when the job gets done Sunday.

Kate

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/27/2010 08:08 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
On 2/27/2010 3:49 AM, Kate wrote:
[...]

just extend the wires to the door to the porch and leave the button by
the back door. that way if you lock the door to the porch, there's a
button there, and if you leave the porch unlocked and a visitor comes
through the porch to the back door there will be another button to push.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

No here that a transformer is required, not included
http://www.dimango.com/dc-hardwired-doorbells.htm

Accessories:
Transformer (Not Included, Uses 16v)
Buttons (As needed)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 08:25:41 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

if there's a wire to the garage, the transfer goes in the garage.

110vac in garage - transformer - 24vac to closet - doorbel - front and rear
switches
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:49:50 -0800, Kate wrote:

Today my friend, figured out how to change my current battery operated
doorbell to a wired doorbell .

There were three sets of wires inside my guest coat closet, in the entry
way. One set goes to the back door, and one set goes to the front door.
The third set of wires is behind the fuse box in the garage. There is
no transformer there so I will be buying that tomorrow along with a
doorbell unit. We tested all of the wires and they are in working order.

It is supposed to be very easy to install, and I will be so happy about
this.

I am still wondering why the people who built my home, eleven years ago,
did not wire in a doorbell.

Thanks to all, and I will post again when the job gets done Sunday.

Kate

I disconnected my doorbell 6 years ago with no regrets. Kids
(teenagers) around here like to play "Ding-Dong-Ditch" after 11 pm. If
I ever hook it up again it will take a picture of the visitor's face
rather than ring a bell. Most who have battery-operated doorbells
eventually let them go dead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:37:21 -0600, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 08:25:41 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

if there's a wire to the garage, the transfer goes in the garage.

I meant "the transformer goes in the garage"

110vac in garage - transformer - 24vac to closet - doorbel - front and rear
switches

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote
I disconnected my doorbell 6 years ago with no regrets. Kids
(teenagers) around here like to play "Ding-Dong-Ditch" after 11 pm. If
I ever hook it up again it will take a picture of the visitor's face
rather than ring a bell. Most who have battery-operated doorbells
eventually let them go dead.

We don't have that problem here, but if the doorbell rings, I know I
probably don't want to answer it. Anyone that knows us, including the UPS
guy, etc. comes to the side door. Bell ringers usually want to sell me
magazines, go to their church, or vote for them next Tuesday. My wife
convinced me to fix the bell, but it was broke for over 20 years. Never
missed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2010 8:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

Try Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, or even WalMart, Sears or Target's
electrical supply department. Unless things have really changed in the past few
decades, they used to be available just about everywhere home electrical
supplies were sold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/27/2010 12:38 PM, Peter wrote:
On 2/27/2010 8:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

Try Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, or even WalMart, Sears or Target's
electrical supply department. Unless things have really changed in the
past few decades, they used to be available just about everywhere home
electrical supplies were sold.

right, they all likely sell doorbells and transformers, just not in the
same box. You probably have to buy the pushbuttons seperately as well,
although obviously the wireless ones will come with the buttons as they
are also transmitters.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote in message
On 2/27/2010 8:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

Try Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, or even WalMart, Sears or Target's
electrical supply department. Unless things have really changed in the
past few decades, they used to be available just about everywhere home
electrical supplies were sold.

Sure, but the don't "come with" the doorbell unit. You have to buy the bell
and transformer separately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Kate wrote:
Today my friend, figured out how to change my current battery operated
doorbell to a wired doorbell .

There were three sets of wires inside my guest coat closet, in the
entry way. One set goes to the back door, and one set goes to the
front door.
The third set of wires is behind the fuse box in the garage. There is
no transformer there so I will be buying that tomorrow along with a
doorbell unit. We tested all of the wires and they are in working order.

It is supposed to be very easy to install, and I will be so happy
about this.

I am still wondering why the people who built my home, eleven years
ago, did not wire in a doorbell.

Thanks to all, and I will post again when the job gets done Sunday.

Kate

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Thanks, as I am getting ready to head to Lowes now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:34:58 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Kate" wrote
I am still wondering why the people who built my home, eleven years ago,
did not wire in a doorbell.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

no, cccccccccccc (pennies, not dollars) - the cheapskates.

At least they did the rough-in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:25:42 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote
I disconnected my doorbell 6 years ago with no regrets. Kids
(teenagers) around here like to play "Ding-Dong-Ditch" after 11 pm. If
I ever hook it up again it will take a picture of the visitor's face
rather than ring a bell. Most who have battery-operated doorbells
eventually let them go dead.

We don't have that problem here, but if the doorbell rings, I know I
probably don't want to answer it. Anyone that knows us, including the UPS
guy, etc. comes to the side door. Bell ringers usually want to sell me
magazines, go to their church, or vote for them next Tuesday. My wife
convinced me to fix the bell, but it was broke for over 20 years. Never
missed it.

Obviously she did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:38:35 -0500, Peter wrote:

On 2/27/2010 8:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

Try Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, or even WalMart, Sears or Target's
electrical supply department. Unless things have really changed in the past few
decades, they used to be available just about everywhere home electrical
supplies were sold.

A doorchime does not come with a transformer. A doorchime KIT comes
with transformer and 2 buttons.
A doorchime INSTALLATION kit is everything but the chime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

No here that a transformer is required, not included
http://www.dimango.com/dc-hardwired-doorbells.htm

Accessories:
Transformer (Not Included, Uses 16v)
Buttons (As needed)

the last 6 i bought came with two buttons (lit) one tranformer and the
bell unit itself all in one box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a
transformer.

No here that a transformer is required, not included
http://www.dimango.com/dc-hardwired-doorbells.htm

Accessories:
Transformer (Not Included, Uses 16v)
Buttons (As needed)

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

at halloween, ours gets hooked up to a bonafide full blown set of
semi-tractor air horns positioned behind a bale of straw about 4 feet
from the visitor. a simple capacitor and relay make it blow for 4
seconds with just a touch of the button. Very effective, hardly give
out ANY candy. LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
On 2/27/2010 3:49 AM, Kate wrote:
[...]

You need one O them thar cowbells a hangin near the door fer visiters
to whack on to get yore 'ttention.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

It's amazing what a simple video camera and monitor that a visitor
can see themselves in will do to deter mischief. Even a cheap fake
camera with a blinking light on it makes them think twice.

TDD

Doorbell Question Update Kate[_5_] Home Repair 8 February 20th 10 10:48 PM
Doorbell help eastender[_3_] UK diy 10 January 29th 09 10:48 PM
doorbell Alex UK diy 15 August 4th 05 12:01 PM
i want a doorbell that.... xrongor Home Repair 9 February 1st 05 02:12 AM
Outside doorbell Martin Pentreath UK diy 11 November 5th 04 01:02 AM