Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorbell Question Update

I apologize that I wasted everyone's time.

I found where the inside doorbell transformer is located.
It is inside the coat closet, right by the front door.

I have looked inside this closet at least three times.
This time, I removed the coats, got a step stool, and there
it is.

Now, I hope I can get it to work. I don't like the battery
operated ones because you can't get a pretty sounding chime.

Thanks everyone! I love this group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I apologize that I wasted everyone's time.

I found where the inside doorbell transformer is located.
It is inside the coat closet, right by the front door.

I have looked inside this closet at least three times.
This time, I removed the coats, got a step stool, and there
it is.

Now, I hope I can get it to work. I don't like the battery
operated ones because you can't get a pretty sounding chime.

Thanks everyone! I love this group.

Damn, found this after I replied to the original thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I apologize that I wasted everyone's time.

I found where the inside doorbell transformer is located.
It is inside the coat closet, right by the front door.

I have looked inside this closet at least three times.
This time, I removed the coats, got a step stool, and there
it is.

Now, I hope I can get it to work. I don't like the battery
operated ones because you can't get a pretty sounding chime.

Thanks everyone! I love this group.

For your typical 16 volt doorbell system to work, you need a transformer for
the power, which you found, and you need two wire cables going to each
switch, and ultimately ending up with at least three wires at the chime
location. You mentioned a red and white wire at the chime location, and a
red and white wire at a back door location, but nothing at the front door. I
would pull those wire out of the wall behind the chime and see if there
isn't another wire hiding in there, then look for the front door cable

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 1:35*am, Kate wrote:
I apologize that I wasted everyone's time.

I found where the inside doorbell transformer is located.
It is inside the coat closet, right by the front door.

I have looked inside this closet at least three times.
This time, I removed the coats, got a step stool, and there
it is.

Now, I hope I can get it to work. *I don't like the battery
operated ones because you can't get a pretty sounding chime.

Thanks everyone! *I love this group.

Those transformers tend to fail after a while, the first step would be
to check to see if it is still working. They are available at hardware
stores & likely @ Lowes / Home Depot
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 9:39*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Feb 19, 1:35*am, Kate wrote:

I apologize that I wasted everyone's time.

I found where the inside doorbell transformer is located.
It is inside the coat closet, right by the front door.

I have looked inside this closet at least three times.
This time, I removed the coats, got a step stool, and there
it is.

Now, I hope I can get it to work. *I don't like the battery
operated ones because you can't get a pretty sounding chime.

Thanks everyone! *I love this group.

Those transformers tend to fail after a while, the first step would be
to check to see if it is still working. They are available at hardware
stores & likely @ Lowes / Home Depot

Kate:

Do you have a voltmeter that you can use to check if the transformer
is putting out 16 -24 Volts AC?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
On Feb 19, 1:35 am, Kate wrote:
I apologize that I wasted everyone's time.

I found where the inside doorbell transformer is located.
It is inside the coat closet, right by the front door.

I have looked inside this closet at least three times.
This time, I removed the coats, got a step stool, and there
it is.

Now, I hope I can get it to work. I don't like the battery
operated ones because you can't get a pretty sounding chime.

Thanks everyone! I love this group.

Those transformers tend to fail after a while, the first step would be
to check to see if it is still working. They are available at hardware
stores & likely @ Lowes / Home Depot

That is my next step, but first I need to find out if the wires are
in good working order.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:59:46 -0800, Kate wrote:

Do you have a voltmeter that you can use to check if the transformer
is putting out 16 -24 Volts AC?

No, but I have a friend who does. I will know more in about a week,
when he is here. Thanks.

Send him a note to remember to bring the meter. Check the wires at
each location. If the transformer is bad or a wire is broken - check
them both. Some doorbell wires have multi-pairs of wire (old phone
line or CAT-5 type). If one wire is broken, swap out another color
pair...

Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:59:46 -0800, Kate wrote:

Do you have a voltmeter that you can use to check if the transformer
is putting out 16 -24 Volts AC?

No, but I have a friend who does. I will know more in about a week,
when he is here. Thanks.

Send him a note to remember to bring the meter. Check the wires at
each location. If the transformer is bad or a wire is broken - check
them both. Some doorbell wires have multi-pairs of wire (old phone
line or CAT-5 type). If one wire is broken, swap out another color
pair...

Good luck!

Good advice. Thank you.

Doorbell Question Kate[_5_] Home Repair 37 February 24th 10 06:11 AM
OT New Monitor update & question. The Medway Handyman UK diy 28 February 9th 09 11:21 AM
Another doorbell question pete UK diy 14 December 17th 08 12:03 AM
kitchen update question Me Home Repair 2 April 18th 05 03:42 PM
UPDATE 55 Gal. drum question Roger Hull Metalworking 2 May 31st 04 07:15 PM