Me

Default kitchen update question

I am planning on knocking out some (not all) cabinets to put in a dishwasher
in the kitchen. Above the cabinets are my 50 year old dinged up tile that
I'd like to have refinished. I have a sink between the tiles, and I'd like
to get it refinished too. I'm planning on having contractors do all the work

Is there any rule of thumb on the order of the three (dishwasher, re-finish
tile, re-finish sink) ? I'm looking for independent opinions outside of what
the contractors may tell me.
Hopefully I gave enough information.

Thanks.

The picture is not totally clear, it sounds like you want to tear out
enough below-counter cabinetry to put in a dishwasher, replace your
sink, and replace the tile backsplash. Barring complications, I'd
replace the tile first cause that will make a mess. Then the sink so
that the plumbing can be updated to allow for the dishwasher, then the
dishawasher last. Better yet would be to do the sink and dishwasher at
the same time, that's one trade, the plumber, that can do all that.
Note that for a dishwasher you probably need a separate circuit, not
sure if that's a 'code' item or if it's just a good odea because the
thing pulls so much electricity.

Usually/often the dishwasher connects into the garbage disposal. If
you don't have one and want to add one, that's another circuit 'I
think'.

Joe S

Me wrote:
I am planning on knocking out some (not all) cabinets to put in a dishwasher
in the kitchen. Above the cabinets are my 50 year old dinged up tile that
I'd like to have refinished. I have a sink between the tiles, and I'd like
to get it refinished too. I'm planning on having contractors do all the work

Is there any rule of thumb on the order of the three (dishwasher, re-finish
tile, re-finish sink) ? I'm looking for independent opinions outside of what
the contractors may tell me.
Hopefully I gave enough information.

Thanks.

Depending on how "dinged-up" your tile and sink are, it could be very
expensive to attempt some restoration and you'll just end up with
better-looking 50 year-old stuff.

Rather than put good money into old tile and sink, have you considered
redoing them? Yes, it will be more money, but it will all be
"moving-forward" money.

--
Joe

Kitchen cabinets question Patrick Bitton Woodworking 12 March 19th 05 03:35 PM
Kitchen unit question nicoll UK diy 5 October 18th 04 03:03 PM
Kitchen question monkey UK diy 4 October 18th 04 12:36 PM
Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Woodworking 0 February 6th 04 06:34 AM
Celebrity Kitchen Design? Michelle Woodworking 9 December 8th 03 05:50 PM