Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT New Monitor update & question.

Decided on the Acer at £99, printed off the page & toodled off to Comet.
Right next to the Acer was a rather nice HP monitor, managers special, £30
off so also £99.

"I'll have that if its got built in speakers" I said to sales droid. It
had. Droid started to put it in the box.

TMH; "Where's the cable to connect the speakers"
Droid; "It hasn't got one".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Just buy a cable".
TMH; "How much are they?"
Droid; "Don't know, we don't sell them".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Errrm. Dunno".

Finally bought the Acer & blagged a half price deal on some cheap speakers
which are fine.

So, when viewing UK-DIY (with OE6) I have the option of highlighting a
watched message in a variety of colours. If I expand the message all the
post headers are that colour.

I have the option to Mark Conversation as Read. If a new unread post comes
in, it used to be a brighter colour than the read posts so it was easy to
spot.

That now doesn't happen. Didn't happen with the little standby monitor I've
been using either.

Any ideas? Should be Tools, Options but I can't spot anything there.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Right-click on your Desktop
On the drop-down menu, left-click 'Properties'
Left-Click 'Settings'

What does it say under 'color quality' ?

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Medium 16 bit

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adrian wrote:
HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I think the implication was, change it. To Highest (32 bit).

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Thanks Adrian, that gave me the clue I needed to sort it myself. Ta.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

"I'll have that if its got built in speakers" I said to sales droid. It
had. Droid started to put it in the box.

TMH; "Where's the cable to connect the speakers"
Droid; "It hasn't got one".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Just buy a cable".
TMH; "How much are they?"
Droid; "Don't know, we don't sell them".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Errrm. Dunno".

About par for the course!

So, when viewing UK-DIY (with OE6) I have the option of highlighting a
watched message in a variety of colours. If I expand the message all the
post headers are that colour.

I have the option to Mark Conversation as Read. If a new unread post comes
in, it used to be a brighter colour than the read posts so it was easy to
spot.

That now doesn't happen. Didn't happen with the little standby monitor I've
been using either.

Any ideas? Should be Tools, Options but I can't spot anything there.

Sounds like you are running in 16 colour mode or something like that
(note 16 colours, not 16 bit (i.e. 65,536) colours).

Check the display settings are appropriate for the monitor.

You probably ought to load the screen driver for the monitor. That will
make windows automatically offer you only settings that match what the
hardware can do. You can get the required driver from he

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads.html

Unzip the driver files into a directory, and then call up the display
settings as described elsewhere. Click the Advanced button. Then the
Monitor tab, then the properties button, then the drivers tab, then the
update driver button. Point it at the directory containing the unzipped
files, and select the monitor and ok your way back out.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Folks

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adrian wrote:
HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

No implication g - more a case of enquiring....

Certainly, if it 32-bit is an option then try to select it & see if that
helps.... but if windows dones not recognise the new monitor then it may
not offer the 32-bit option...

One thing with LCD displays is that you need to set the PC up to the
same resolution (as in x pixels by y pixels) as the display - otherwise
they can look pertty awful ('old-fashioned' displays are more tolerant)

See if the 'screen resolution' in the 'Settings' section matches the
actual spec of the new screen (probably printed on the box or in the
manual....?)

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Thought monitors usually told Windows what they support these days?
(I.e. without 'driver'.)

Also, TMH, how were you sending sound to your old monitor? A cable?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adrian wrote:
HI Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

No problem !
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Thought monitors usually told Windows what they support these days?
(I.e. without 'driver'.)

The monitor will identify itself via plug'n'prey, but that requires
windows to have an appropriate driver in its list to match it. I don't
think they can actually pass a raw list of capabilities to the computer
- just an ID string.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Decided on the Acer at £99, printed off the page & toodled off to Comet.

You should have mail ordered and got a further discount.

Right next to the Acer was a rather nice HP monitor, managers special, £30
off so also £99.

"I'll have that if its got built in speakers" I said to sales droid. It
had. Droid started to put it in the box.

Why would you choose HP over Acer?

TMH; "Where's the cable to connect the speakers"
Droid; "It hasn't got one".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Just buy a cable".
TMH; "How much are they?"
Droid; "Don't know, we don't sell them".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Errrm. Dunno".

Oh dear, another pointless conversation that keeps everyone
else in the queue with a life waiting.

Finally bought the Acer & blagged a half price deal on some cheap speakers
which are fine.

So you paid for speakers when a monitor had them built in.

So, when viewing UK-DIY (with OE6) I have the option of highlighting a
watched message in a variety of colours. If I expand the message all the
post headers are that colour.

I have the option to Mark Conversation as Read. If a new unread post
comes in, it used to be a brighter colour than the read posts so it was
easy to spot.

That now doesn't happen. Didn't happen with the little standby monitor
I've been using either.

Any ideas? Should be Tools, Options but I can't spot anything there.

Yes, press HELP and read the instructions on OE.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Rumm wrote:
Rod wrote:

Thought monitors usually told Windows what they support these days?
(I.e. without 'driver'.)

The monitor will identify itself via plug'n'prey, but that requires
windows to have an appropriate driver in its list to match it. I don't
think they can actually pass a raw list of capabilities to the computer
- just an ID string.

I think this might be what I was thinking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James R wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Decided on the Acer at £99, printed off the page & toodled off to
Comet.

You should have mail ordered and got a further discount.

It would have cost an extra £5.82 for delivery you idiot.

Right next to the Acer was a rather nice HP monitor, managers
special, £30 off so also £99.

"I'll have that if its got built in speakers" I said to sales
droid. It had. Droid started to put it in the box.

Why would you choose HP over Acer?

Simply because I recognise the brand name and have an HP printer that has
been excellent.

TMH; "Where's the cable to connect the speakers"
Droid; "It hasn't got one".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Just buy a cable".
TMH; "How much are they?"
Droid; "Don't know, we don't sell them".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Errrm. Dunno".

Oh dear, another pointless conversation that keeps everyone
else in the queue with a life waiting.

Pointless? So you are suggesting that I should have bought a monitor I
couldn't use? Or that only nerds like you should be allowed to buy
monitors?

Finally bought the Acer & blagged a half price deal on some cheap
speakers which are fine.

So you paid for speakers when a monitor had them built in.

Where did I mention that the Acer had them built in?

So, when viewing UK-DIY (with OE6) I have the option of highlighting
a watched message in a variety of colours. If I expand the message
all the post headers are that colour.

I have the option to Mark Conversation as Read. If a new unread post
comes in, it used to be a brighter colour than the read posts so it
was easy to spot.

That now doesn't happen. Didn't happen with the little standby
monitor I've been using either.

Any ideas? Should be Tools, Options but I can't spot anything there.

Yes, press HELP and read the instructions on OE.

And what would I have looked for ****wit? What search term would have given
me the answer?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
One thing with LCD displays is that you need to set the PC up to the
same resolution (as in x pixels by y pixels) as the display - otherwise
they can look pertty awful ('old-fashioned' displays are more tolerant)

See if the 'screen resolution' in the 'Settings' section matches the
actual spec of the new screen (probably printed on the box or in the
manual....?)

Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Rod wrote:

Thought monitors usually told Windows what they support these days?
(I.e. without 'driver'.)

The monitor will identify itself via plug'n'prey, but that requires
windows to have an appropriate driver in its list to match it. I don't
think they can actually pass a raw list of capabilities to the
computer - just an ID string.

I think this might be what I was thinking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

I stand corrected - It has grew some since I last looked!

Looking at that list though it does not seem to include the widescreen
resolutions that many modern monitors use. It also does not seem to
include colour profile / colour space definitions. So they may still be
benefit in using the monitor profiles (you will note that the makers
still release them for new monitors)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James R wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Decided on the Acer at £99, printed off the page & toodled off to Comet.

You should have mail ordered and got a further discount.

Right next to the Acer was a rather nice HP monitor, managers special, £30
off so also £99.

"I'll have that if its got built in speakers" I said to sales droid. It
had. Droid started to put it in the box.

Why would you choose HP over Acer?

TMH; "Where's the cable to connect the speakers"
Droid; "It hasn't got one".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Just buy a cable".
TMH; "How much are they?"
Droid; "Don't know, we don't sell them".
TMH; So how can I use the speakers?"
Droid; "Errrm. Dunno".

Oh dear, another pointless conversation that keeps everyone
else in the queue with a life waiting.

Why is suggesting that they really ought to sell all the bits that are
supposed to come with it a pointless conversation?

Finally bought the Acer & blagged a half price deal on some cheap speakers
which are fine.

So you paid for speakers when a monitor had them built in.

Read a little more carefully. The Acer did not include speakers. The
incomplete display model HP did.

Any ideas? Should be Tools, Options but I can't spot anything there.

Yes, press HELP and read the instructions on OE.

OE help in unlikely to include help on configuring windows display
settings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
One thing with LCD displays is that you need to set the PC up to the
same resolution (as in x pixels by y pixels) as the display - otherwise
they can look pertty awful ('old-fashioned' displays are more tolerant)

See if the 'screen resolution' in the 'Settings' section matches the
actual spec of the new screen (probably printed on the box or in the
manual....?)

Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

Not with the last couple of LCD ones I purchased (from CPC) -
they're both running on this machine and WinXP seems to think that
they're just PnP LCD monitors - but it seems to be driving them OK so
I'm not about to argue g

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
One thing with LCD displays is that you need to set the PC up to the
same resolution (as in x pixels by y pixels) as the display - otherwise
they can look pertty awful ('old-fashioned' displays are more tolerant)

See if the 'screen resolution' in the 'Settings' section matches the
actual spec of the new screen (probably printed on the box or in the
manual....?)

Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

In general the drivers are for the card.

If the card cant do the native resolution of the monitor, you need a new
card that does.

There are other issues such as colour correction an gamma correction,
but I am not sure windows has that ability. Macs do though. You can
spend an hour or so going through tests to set the monitor up, and the
select color temperature as well..and gamma.

It paid off when we had some phots printed off digital..the photos were
very close to the screen colours
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In general the drivers are for the card.

If the card cant do the native resolution of the monitor, you need a new
card that does.

There are other issues such as colour correction an gamma correction,
but I am not sure windows has that ability. Macs do though. You can
spend an hour or so going through tests to set the monitor up, and the
select color temperature as well..and gamma.

It paid off when we had some phots printed off digital..the photos were
very close to the screen colours

Photoshop for Windows always included Adobe Gamma. And it seems to
work... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
One thing with LCD displays is that you need to set the PC up to the
same resolution (as in x pixels by y pixels) as the display - otherwise
they can look pertty awful ('old-fashioned' displays are more tolerant)

See if the 'screen resolution' in the 'Settings' section matches the
actual spec of the new screen (probably printed on the box or in the
manual....?)

Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

I chucked out a load of manuals for cd drives, hard drives, monitors,
printers etc.

The kids were both home for the weekend, so I showed them what computers
were like 20 years ago (when they were in nappies)

It was a real eye opener for them

Dave, the answer is "no"

This afternoon was mostly spent interfacing the computer (via the A-V
amplifier) to the 46" flat screen TV - which didn't want to know

the drivers are all in the video card, not the monitor

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , James R
writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

What right minded person uses OE ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff wrote:
Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

I chucked out a load of manuals for cd drives, hard drives, monitors,
printers etc.

The kids were both home for the weekend, so I showed them what computers
were like 20 years ago (when they were in nappies)

It was a real eye opener for them

Dave, the answer is "no"

This afternoon was mostly spent interfacing the computer (via the A-V
amplifier) to the 46" flat screen TV - which didn't want to know

the drivers are all in the video card, not the monitor

That was always the case - the drivers were for the operating system and
installed in that. Talking mainly about older versions of Windows, though.

But you could always check the maker's website to see if there is one
specified for your particular use.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 00:06, geoff wrote:
In message , James R
writes

[...]

Is TMH right minded - perhaps he's left minded ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On 8 Feb, 00:06, geoff wrote:
In message , James R
writes

[...]

Maybe left brained?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

They weren't drivers, just an update for the monitor scan rates
supported. All monitors provide this info over the video cable
nowadays (do a search on EDID), so that shouldn't be necessary.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

They weren't drivers, just an update for the monitor scan rates
supported. All monitors provide this info over the video cable
nowadays (do a search on EDID), so that shouldn't be necessary.

Acorn use the correct name - monitor definition file. But Windose does
call them drivers - at least in some versions.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

They weren't drivers, just an update for the monitor scan rates
supported. All monitors provide this info over the video cable
nowadays (do a search on EDID), so that shouldn't be necessary.

unless you use a KVM switch or similar which blocks the comms between
monitor and computer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 23:06:46 UTC, John Rumm
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?

They weren't drivers, just an update for the monitor scan rates
supported. All monitors provide this info over the video cable
nowadays (do a search on EDID), so that shouldn't be necessary.

unless you use a KVM switch or similar which blocks the comms between
monitor and computer.

Doesn't seem to block it here. I get autodetection OK on Windows and
FreeBSD at least.

Mind, some ATI cards don't detect monitors on VGA ports if there's a LVM
in the way, if that KVM doesn't mimic the load. I had to modify one of
my KVMs to do that.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 23:06:46 UTC, John Rumm
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
Don't they supply drivers with monitors these days? In case Windows
doesn't have the correct one?
They weren't drivers, just an update for the monitor scan rates
supported. All monitors provide this info over the video cable
nowadays (do a search on EDID), so that shouldn't be necessary.

unless you use a KVM switch or similar which blocks the comms between
monitor and computer.

Doesn't seem to block it here. I get autodetection OK on Windows and
FreeBSD at least.

Even on ones that do pass information there can be problems for the
machines not switched to the monitor when they boot IME. Its often
easier to simply specify what monitor is being used in windows and
ignore the auto ident. KVM switches need to be quite sophisticated to
work these days[1].

Mind, some ATI cards don't detect monitors on VGA ports if there's a LVM
in the way, if that KVM doesn't mimic the load. I had to modify one of
my KVMs to do that.

Yup, they seem to look for a termination load to sense the display -
they do the same trick disabling all the TV out controls unless there is
actually a TV connected. Not sure it is particularly helpful really.

[1] and I wish my one would let you change the signal key - it insists
on using ctrl twice in close proximity - a right pain with many games!

--
Cheers,

John.

forklift update, paving question Randy Metalworking 13 March 23rd 08 01:36 AM
Electric Shower Question : Update . Stuart B UK diy 5 March 24th 07 02:42 PM
Wireless IP camera as baby monitor - update Jon UK diy 24 September 17th 06 01:05 PM
kitchen update question Me Home Repair 2 April 18th 05 03:42 PM
UPDATE 55 Gal. drum question Roger Hull Metalworking 2 May 31st 04 07:15 PM