Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default forklift update, paving question

Randy fired this volley in
:

I had that spot done almost 20 years ago, could not afford the whole
thing so I just and a strip from the street to one overhead door done.
Looks like the guy screwed me, he said he put down 2".

Welcome to the fine work of the Gypsy Paving Guild. We have lots of
"two-inch" driveways in this area that won't take the load a kid's
tricycle in hot weather. When the black stuff peels up from the dirt,
it's only a 1/2" scrim.

They ALL say "two inches!"

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:

So my cheap lift truck is now going to cost me $2800 for 900 sqft of
new paving, 6" stone and 3.5" paving.

What is wrong with concrete?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, I borrowed a charger from the local forklift company, by way of
a friend of a friend and it looks like the battery is good. At least
in fair condition, I drove it around for 20 minutes.

However the two times I drove the lift out of the warehouse and onto
the paving I have made big rutts in the blacktop and busted up a nice
spot. Seems I have 1" of BT over top of mud.

So my cheap lift truck is now going to cost me $2800 for 900 sqft of
new paving, 6" stone and 3.5" paving.

How long does the new BT need to sit before you can drive a 9000#
lifttruck on it?

6 years ago I had 80% of the lot paved for 3 grand, now the last 20%
is costing me almost as much. 6 years ago the other spot looked real
good, now it's all cracked plus the rutts where I drove over it.

I had that spot done almost 20 years ago, could not afford the whole
thing so I just and a strip from the street to one overhead door done.
Looks like the guy screwed me, he said he put down 2".

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:

[...]

I don't think you can ever safely drive a "regular" forklift on asphalt
unless it has a concrete base. Back when I worked at a CNC company we
never drove out 10k# forklift out in the parking lot without putting
down plywood first in anything but the coldest winter weather, and never
let it sit in on spot even then. A rough terrain forklift with large
pneumatic tires is probably the only safe forklift on asphalt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:26:25 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Randy wrote:

So my cheap lift truck is now going to cost me $2800 for 900 sqft of
new paving, 6" stone and 3.5" paving.

What is wrong with concrete?

Yeah, it'd be considerably cheaper and have a much longer life with no
seasonal downsides, weeds, etc.

Forms lumber would cost under $100. Concrete locally costs $130/yd for
under 5 yards, or $88/yd for 5+ yards:
14 yards for 4" = ($1820) $1232
17 yards for 6" = $1496, roughly half the price of asphalt.

And that won't melt in the summer.

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:10:02 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:
Randy wrote:

Well, I borrowed a charger from the local forklift company, by way of
a friend of a friend and it looks like the battery is good. At least
in fair condition, I drove it around for 20 minutes.

However the two times I drove the lift out of the warehouse and onto
the paving I have made big rutts in the blacktop and busted up a nice
spot. Seems I have 1" of BT over top of mud.

So my cheap lift truck is now going to cost me $2800 for 900 sqft of
new paving, 6" stone and 3.5" paving.

How long does the new BT need to sit before you can drive a 9000#
lifttruck on it?

Forever. A month or two with plywood or steel trench plate down.

6 years ago I had 80% of the lot paved for 3 grand, now the last 20%
is costing me almost as much. 6 years ago the other spot looked real
good, now it's all cracked plus the rutts where I drove over it.

I had that spot done almost 20 years ago, could not afford the whole
thing so I just and a strip from the street to one overhead door done.
Looks like the guy screwed me, he said he put down 2".

I don't think you can ever safely drive a "regular" forklift on asphalt
unless it has a concrete base. Back when I worked at a CNC company we
never drove out 10k# forklift out in the parking lot without putting
down plywood first in anything but the coldest winter weather, and never
let it sit in on spot even then. A rough terrain forklift with large
pneumatic tires is probably the only safe forklift on asphalt.

Bingo. Concrete driveway with a nice rebar grid (not just wire mat)
over a substantial layer of compacted crushed base stone if you're
planning on taking a solid-tire forklift onto it. The point loads
they generate are simply too much for asphalt alone.

This is why they quickly outlawed solid truck tires on the highway
when pneumatic tires became widely available and reliable at the turn
of the last century. Besides limiting the truck to 25 MPH without
killing the driver or shattering the cargo, they ripped up the roads.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:

So my cheap lift truck is now going to cost me $2800 for 900 sqft of
new paving, 6" stone and 3.5" paving.

What is wrong with concrete?

Yeah, it'd be considerably cheaper and have a much longer life with no
seasonal downsides, weeds, etc.

Forms lumber would cost under $100. Concrete locally costs $130/yd for
under 5 yards, or $88/yd for 5+ yards:
14 yards for 4" = ($1820) $1232
17 yards for 6" = $1496, roughly half the price of asphalt.

And that won't melt in the summer.

Now if I still had my backhoe, I'd be in business. Unfortunately I
sold it about 5 years ago.

No time to do it myself.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:36:57 -0000, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Randy fired this volley in
:

I had that spot done almost 20 years ago, could not afford the whole
thing so I just and a strip from the street to one overhead door done.
Looks like the guy screwed me, he said he put down 2".

Welcome to the fine work of the Gypsy Paving Guild. We have lots of
"two-inch" driveways in this area that won't take the load a kid's
tricycle in hot weather. When the black stuff peels up from the dirt,
it's only a 1/2" scrim.

They ALL say "two inches!"

LLoyd

It is two inches - one inch of stone dust on top of the grass and
one inch of lean sand mix, then compact carefully with a man powered
lawn roller.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think the type of asphalt, along with it's base material used, has a lot
to do with it's ability to support a forklift. The parking lot at work seems
to have some small aggregate mixed into it, and a forklift weighing 5,500
lbs, with pneumatic tires, often with a 2,000 lb load, has been operated on
it many times daily in all kinds of weather, with absolutely no issues,
since 1967. It hits 100 degrees here in summer, and maybe as low as 18 in
winter.

RJ

"Pete C." wrote in message

Randy wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Backlash wrote:
I think the type of asphalt, along with it's base material used, has a lot
to do with it's ability to support a forklift. The parking lot at work seems
to have some small aggregate mixed into it, and a forklift weighing 5,500
lbs, with pneumatic tires, often with a 2,000 lb load, has been operated on
it many times daily in all kinds of weather, with absolutely no issues,
since 1967. It hits 100 degrees here in summer, and maybe as low as 18 in
winter.

RJ

Commercially used asphaltic paving mixes run from the sand mix used
for most residential work (sand mix can be mechanically spread down to
about a thickness of 3/8") up to a mix with up to 7/8" aggregate,
which gives a very porous surface which is totally unsuitable as a
finish surface but is cheap to produce and provides a strong, load
bearing interface between compacted gravel and a finely finished,
thin, wearing surface produced with probably 3/8" aggregate. The
design of asphaltic pavements is a highly specialized branch of civil
engineering.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Backlash" wrote in message
. ..
I think the type of asphalt, along with it's base material used, has a lot to
do with it's ability to support a forklift. The parking lot at work seems to
have some small aggregate mixed into it, and a forklift weighing 5,500 lbs,
with pneumatic tires, often with a 2,000 lb load, has been operated on it many
times daily in all kinds of weather, with absolutely no issues, since 1967. It
hits 100 degrees here in summer, and maybe as low as 18 in winter.

Same here. I have been driving solid tire forklifts on the driveways around
my S. Florida workplace since 1970, and was quite surprised to read in this
thread that it couldn't be done. I suppose it depends on the type of asphalt
and the quality of the base that it is installed on, but asphalt can certainly
be made to work.

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:36:50 GMT, the renowned "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

"Backlash" wrote in message
I think the type of asphalt, along with it's base material used, has a lot to
do with it's ability to support a forklift. The parking lot at work seems to
have some small aggregate mixed into it, and a forklift weighing 5,500 lbs,
with pneumatic tires, often with a 2,000 lb load, has been operated on it many
times daily in all kinds of weather, with absolutely no issues, since 1967. It
hits 100 degrees here in summer, and maybe as low as 18 in winter.

Same here. I have been driving solid tire forklifts on the driveways around
my S. Florida workplace since 1970, and was quite surprised to read in this
thread that it couldn't be done. I suppose it depends on the type of asphalt
and the quality of the base that it is installed on, but asphalt can certainly
be made to work.

Vaughn

I have done it on a residential driveway with a 2500lb load... I was
worried but it held up okay. I think we paid for 3" of asphalt. Maybe
if it was really hot it would not have.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Weight isn't the big one - the square inch of contact surface is the big one.

Case in point, a full size tank can drive down normal streets and nominal ones.
They can be set up on 4" reinforced crete like most places have in the
driveways. Their massive pad size spreads the weight across all of the pads.

Martin [ know of a place that has the largest private tank collection ]

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Vaughn Simon wrote:
. ..

forklift questions Randy Metalworking 15 November 10th 07 05:07 AM
Block paving question. Sand or sand/cement for the gaps? Tim Downie UK diy 17 June 6th 07 09:28 PM
Big Joe walk behind forklift? Gunner Metalworking 13 April 2nd 06 09:12 PM
Cat V80 Forklift Repair [email protected] Metalworking 2 January 25th 06 10:19 PM
manual forklift? Fred Home Repair 3 March 28th 05 08:26 PM