Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom Ceiling Problem

I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it.
There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower.
After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel off.
I scraped the whole ceiling.
Then i patched the bad areas with joint compound ( there were alot of bad
areas )
Then i sanded & primed the ceiling,then painted it.
NOW there are alot of areas where the paint is peeling & cracking.
How can i fix this without redrying the ceiling ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 8:30*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it.
There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower.
After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel off.
I scraped the whole ceiling.
Then i patched the bad areas with joint compound ( there were alot of bad
areas )
Then i sanded & primed the ceiling,then painted it.
NOW there are alot of areas where the paint is peeling & cracking.
How can i fix this without redrying the ceiling ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

You must scrape the entire ceiling down to remove any loose paint.
Then use PRIMER for the first coat!
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it.
There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower.
After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel off.
I scraped the whole ceiling.
Then i patched the bad areas with joint compound ( there were alot of
bad areas )
Then i sanded & primed the ceiling,then painted it.
NOW there are alot of areas where the paint is peeling & cracking.
How can i fix this without redrying the ceiling ?

How long after painting did the peeling appear? How long after joint
compound did you wait to paint? Water based primer and paint?
Some issues that come to mind a
Wrong primer.
Primed too soon after joint compound.
Painted too soon after primer.
Moisture leak from above.
Ceiling wet when primed or painted.

I've done a good deal of painting. When I last painted our master bath,
I waited a couple of hours after showering, with exhaust fan running,
before I painted. Using alkyd semi, the ceiling was so wet that the
brush slid across without leaving any paint. I dried it well with cloth
and got another fan to blow it dry completely. All was well after that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it.
There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower.
After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel off.
I scraped the whole ceiling.
Then i patched the bad areas with joint compound ( there were alot of
bad areas )
Then i sanded & primed the ceiling,then painted it.
NOW there are alot of areas where the paint is peeling & cracking.
How can i fix this without redrying the ceiling ?

Hi,
How is the fan vented. To outside? Sounds to me it is a moisture
problem. Without fixing the cause the symptom will repeat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 2:30*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it.
There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower.
After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel off.
I scraped the whole ceiling.
Then i patched the bad areas with joint compound ( there were alot of bad
areas )
Then i sanded & primed the ceiling,then painted it.
NOW there are alot of areas where the paint is peeling & cracking.
How can i fix this without redrying the ceiling ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

First, textured cielings are best left alone as far as possible, in
days of yore, these textured finishes often contained asbestos. So
make sure you clean up really well now you have disturbed it. Ifit's
peeling it may be due to moisture. You need to dehumidify the room to
dry the cieling out and then paint immediately. You can hire a
dehumidfier if you don't have one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used Water based primer & paint.
I primed a day after i sanded the compound
I painted the next day.
The peeling came not to long after.Maybe a couple weeks.
wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it.
There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower.
After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel
off. I scraped the whole ceiling.
Then i patched the bad areas with joint compound ( there were alot of
bad areas )
Then i sanded & primed the ceiling,then painted it.
NOW there are alot of areas where the paint is peeling & cracking.
How can i fix this without redrying the ceiling ?

What were these "bad areas" of which you speak? And what were they in?
Drywall? Did you use drying or setting joint compound? What kind of
primer?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I never had this problem before.
The last time it was painted with the texture paint was like 10 years ago.

This is not the same paint from 10 years ago is it??
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it.
There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower.
After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel off.
I scraped the whole ceiling.
Then i patched the bad areas with joint compound ( there were alot of bad
areas )
Then i sanded & primed the ceiling,then painted it.
NOW there are alot of areas where the paint is peeling & cracking.
How can i fix this without redrying the ceiling ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

You should have skimmed coated the ENTIRE ceiling with Easysand Setting Type
Compound or replaced the sheetrock..The residue left behind from the texture
causes problems for whatever reason...BTDT MANY times...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 2:30 pm, "desgnr" wrote:
[...]

It DOES NOT contain asbestos...Your full of it....

Bathroom Ceiling Steve Walford UK diy 13 September 29th 07 02:43 PM
bathroom ceiling problem yo[_3_] Home Repair 12 September 22nd 07 01:50 AM
Bathroom ceiling Paul Andrews UK diy 15 November 22nd 05 06:33 PM
bathroom ceiling Jim Walsh UK diy 4 April 28th 04 05:48 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Problem BIGEYE UK diy 3 March 18th 04 01:26 PM