Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sprayer exploded

I had mildew on the side of a concrete block house and decided to do a
little cleaning. Grabbed up my trusty plastic-body 1 gallon sprayer and
filled it full of a bleach solution. I had about 6 or so strokes on the
pressure pump handle when there was a "pop" noise and the plastic body
split. Bleach solution was thrown on my clothes and a few drops on my face.

So ..... from then on, I put my new sprayer in a plastic garbage bag before
pressurizing. Considering the types of fluids being sprayed, I figure I
sure don't want to take any more chances.

Just a heads-up .... be careful out there folks ......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew Ross" wrote in message
I had mildew on the side of a concrete block house and decided to do a
little cleaning. Grabbed up my trusty plastic-body 1 gallon sprayer and
filled it full of a bleach solution. I had about 6 or so strokes on the
pressure pump handle when there was a "pop" noise and the plastic body
split. Bleach solution was thrown on my clothes and a few drops on my
face.

So ..... from then on, I put my new sprayer in a plastic garbage bag
before
pressurizing. Considering the types of fluids being sprayed, I figure I
sure don't want to take any more chances.

Just a heads-up .... be careful out there folks ......

Good point, it can happen. Keep that plastic sprayer out of the sun too. UV
light can make plastic brittle over a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 2:27*am, Andrew Ross wrote:
I had mildew on the side of a concrete block house and decided to do a
little cleaning. *Grabbed up my trusty plastic-body 1 gallon sprayer and
filled it full of a bleach solution. *I had about 6 or so strokes on the
pressure pump handle when there was a "pop" noise and the plastic body
split. *Bleach solution was thrown on my clothes and a few drops on my face.

So ..... from then on, I put my new sprayer in a plastic garbage bag before
pressurizing. *Considering the types of fluids being sprayed, I figure I
sure don't want to take any more chances.

Just a heads-up .... be careful out there folks ......

Was it a cheap unit, that scares me since I use acid in them. I have
many cheap units, maybe I shouldnt have got the cheap ones but
muriatic acid ruins the pump fast anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Was it a cheap unit, that scares me since I use acid in them. I have
many cheap units, maybe I shouldnt have got the cheap ones but
muriatic acid ruins the pump fast anyway.

Yes, it was a cheap unit. But even so, I did not anticipate the unit
failing like that. One thing tho -- my sprayer *was* exposed to sunlight.
As another poster mentioned, that could have weakened the pressure vessel.

I can't imagine what would have happened if I had a failure while spraying
some really nasty stuff. That's the stuff of nightmares.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Andrew Ross" wrote in message
I had mildew on the side of a concrete block house and decided to do
a little cleaning. Grabbed up my trusty plastic-body 1 gallon
sprayer and filled it full of a bleach solution. I had about 6 or
so strokes on the pressure pump handle when there was a "pop" noise
and the plastic body split. Bleach solution was thrown on my
clothes and a few drops on my face.

So ..... from then on, I put my new sprayer in a plastic garbage bag
before
pressurizing. Considering the types of fluids being sprayed, I
figure I sure don't want to take any more chances.

Just a heads-up .... be careful out there folks ......

Good point, it can happen. Keep that plastic sprayer out of the sun
too. UV light can make plastic brittle over a few years.

As perhaps, can chlorine bleach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you bother to RTFM? If so, you were told to ONLY use such and such
etc.. Right tool, right job.

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know of any residential type sprayer made to spray muriatic acid.
Since you don't mention psi, recommended psi and recognition that it is made
to handle what you spray, it's a good thing you aren't blinded by the
experience because they'd have zero liability.