Dan C

Default My fan exploded

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:18:01 -0500, anoldfart2 wrote:

Time to go buy a new fan. I know there's no fix for this one !

So what was the point of boring us with the story of it dying?

Linux Registered User #327951

Al Bundy

Most likely all the lubrication was gone from the shaft making it
really hard to turn. As long as you kept it on and hot it was able to
turn. If it can't turn at the speed that it's intended then the
windings get very hot.. The motors are protected by thermostatic and
current overload protectors, about 3/4" long. One of these breakers
triggered. It can give quite a pop. It's fairly harmless because the
only fuel source is the insulation on the wires. The shellac coating on
the windings was burning and that's where the smoke and smell emanated
from.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Al Bundy wrote:
Most likely all the lubrication was gone from the shaft making it
really hard to turn. As long as you kept it on and hot it was able to
turn. If it can't turn at the speed that it's intended then the
windings get very hot.. The motors are protected by thermostatic and
current overload protectors, about 3/4" long. One of these breakers
triggered. It can give quite a pop. It's fairly harmless because the
only fuel source is the insulation on the wires. The shellac coating on
the windings was burning and that's where the smoke and smell emanated
from.

20 years ago I would have gotta a bit kick out of that post :P

CL Gilbert
I R Baboon

i like the part where it pops n smokes so the OP plugs it back in. yea. 10-4
youre all set
wrote in message
I had a window fan that has been running for weeks because of the
severe heat. I never shut it off until last night when it actually
got too cold in the house. During the last few weeks I have
occasionally noticed the slight odor of something hot, as in
electrical, but could never find anything causing it. When I went to
turn on the fan this morning it would not speed up to full speed. I
normally ran it in medium speed and I was switching it from high to
low when I heard a sizzling sound. The fan was finally speeding up
when it let out a loud pop sound like a small firecracker. Then smoke
began to pour out of it. I pulled the plug.

I know about motors, and while I have had motors burn up on tools and
things, I never had one make an explosion sound. What the heck blew
up?

PS. I just plugged it back in and tried it again, and it's totally
dead now. I know that the burnt odor I smelled is the same as the
smoke that poured out of the fan this morning.

Time to go buy a new fan. I know there's no fix for this one !

Art Todesco

What's wrong with that? I would have
done the same, of course, under
controlled environment, i.e. you can
pull the plug fast. But seriously, a
pop could have been a starting
capacitor, however, I wouldn't think too
many window fans would have them. A big
attic fan, yes, a window fan,
iffey. "Not speeding up" would probably
indicate a bearing is probably