Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to mortar a whirlpool tub?

I had some slope to the floor, and used grout to even it
up, then I put a layer of thinset down, then put a panel
of 2" foil-backed foam down, then the tub in place and
quickly filled it with two garden hoses, and watched the
extra grout get pushed out. I left the water in over the
weekend, got back and siphon-drained the tub Monday
night, removed the tub and cleaned up the "removed"
grout, and there was never a doubt about it being solid
enough.
I wanted the foam to be at the bottom because I didn't
want heat being transferred away. My wife appreciates
that.
But I like the idea of doing it with expanding foam. It
would have been quicker, I could have taped plastic to
the bottom to prevent the foam from attaching to it, in
case I ever wanted to take it out. Not likely.

Hey, wife prefers a long soaking bath with Epsom Salts.
She hasn't even insisted that I connect the pump. Too
many have already told her how the water gets cold
quickly when the pump is running. Two big pumps
sitting in the garage, candlelight and dimmed light in
the bathroom.

The world is good.

On Feb 17, 2:24*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:15:16 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

http://clients.teksavvy.com/~bsaking/Reno/CIMG6258.JPG

I'm the odd man out. When my tub was installed I filled the tub and
then used expanding foam under the tub. Five years later - no problem!

I let the foam cure a couple of days, before I drained the tub. It is
solid, no flex in the bottom of the tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://clients.teksavvy.com/~bsaking/Reno/CIMG6258.JPG

I'm the odd man out. When my tub was installed I filled the tub and
then used expanding foam under the tub. Five years later - no problem!

I let the foam cure a couple of days, before I drained the tub. It is
solid, no flex in the bottom of the tub.

I just thought I would report back that I lumbered my wheel barrow
into the bathroom and mixed up the mortar. What I did is trace the tub
outline onto the floor since that is where it needed to be supported.
Making it not too soupy, nor too solid was not that difficult. I piled
it on and then roughly smoothed it with the shovel. Then placed the
tub on it. By just sliding the tub back and for a little on the
stringers it settled right in and is really solid.

I have the wiring installed and like I said I ran a solid I think #8
back to the panel. To me it does not seem like a great idea to just
bond it to water pipes.

Now on to plumb it all in....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

*Doing what you did with the mortar is how I usually see it done.

The solid #8 wire is not a ground wire. It is a bonding wire installed to
equalize the ground potential for the metal surfaces of the tub similar to
the bonding for a pool. The ground comes from the outlet. Get some water
pipe ground clamps and connect that #8 to the water pipes feeding the tub or
it won't pass inspection. This is a code requirement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ahhh - gotcha - Thanks for the clarification!