Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to mortar a whirlpool tub?

On Feb 17, 2:43*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Feb 17, 12:15*pm, "
wrote:

I have a tub I am putting in - it needs to be supported by stringers
on 3 sides (to level the tub only). Then it will need approx 1 1/4" of
mortar or so underneath it to properly support the base.

I am thinking of using relatively soft cardboard triangles stapled to
the floor to hold the mortar to get the tub on it. I only have access
from the back and then only before I slide the tub in.

I am looking for clues as to how to go about this. I can't open up any
adjoining walls (or rather am unwilling to), so to me it seems the
mortar bed is crucial for proper support on this thing.... The issue
will be to get the mortar at the right consistency so it will not run
out, but yet can be 'squished' a bit once the tub is in.

They say NOT to fill the tub while doing this, which is a good thing
since I have nothing hooked up to be able to do that.

I attached a few pics here of it so you can sort of get an idea of the
issue....

http://clients.teksavvy.com/~bsaking/Reno/CIMG6258.JPG

http://clients.teksavvy.com/~bsaking/Reno/CIMG6261.JPG

Like I say - just looking for /clues/pointers/observations before I
get into it...... (no rude comments puhleese! lol)

Thx, BSA

Doesn't the right side panel also come off?

Can you put the tub in place with the panels off then shovel it under
through the access panels.

Where are you planning on putting the outlet for the motor?

It looks like from the second picture the outlet would want to be on
the floor under the tub!?
Can't you just hard wires the motor like gets done with dishwashers?

right side panel comes off, but it is above the bottom of the tub, so
no good for spreading mortar. The outlet is on the wall recessed level
with the joist. The motor is all wired with a plug - not suitable for
diy wiring. Iy just plugs in.

How much mortar Zen83237 UK diy 20 February 3rd 09 03:03 PM
Mortar dye 51 UK diy 24 December 4th 06 01:00 PM
mortar mix Andy Home Repair 2 May 17th 05 04:36 AM
New whirlpool tub: Part 1: Mortar support? MAG Home Repair 4 June 28th 04 06:14 PM
Mortar Mix BigWallop UK diy 12 July 5th 03 11:46 PM