Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to mortar a whirlpool tub?

A corollary question regards the electrical. I currently have a 15 amp
wall outlet with a GFI in it and a separate 10 gauge solid wire
dragged back to the panel ground and will be tagged to the motor
block.

Would I be better server by a GFI 15 amp installed in the panel? Or
does it make any difference? The panel one is like $100 and the wall
box mounted one I already have.

*I typically install one or two 20 amp 120 volt circuits for a whirlpool tub
depending on whether there is a heater attached or not. I mount a regular
20 amp receptacle (Or 2) near the access panel in a 4" square box attached
to the wall studs. It is not always easy, but I try to keep the receptacle
box from interfering with possible pump servicing while at the same time
keeping the receptacle box accessible. I install a GFI switch (Or 2)
somewhere else in the bath room such as a closet or behind the door or as a
last resort over the countertop to protect the outlet(s) for the tub. I do
this so that it is convenient to reset the GFI instead of having to go to
the electrical panel or pry open the panel on the side of the tub.

I usually bond the tub with a solid #8 from the pump lug to the nearest hot
and cold water pipes. I clamp onto both pipes and if there is a shower head
I clamp onto that pipe too. There is no need to bring the equipotential
bonding conductor back to the panel.

Read articles 680-71 and 680-74 and also read the manufacturer's
instructions.