Posted to alt.home.repair

Default #7 screw?

I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

It seems to me that a lot of fixtures come with screws just as you describe,
like a sloppy 8\32. Why not cut the ones you have

Posted to alt.home.repair

Christopher Nelson wrote:
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

You could use a Klein triple tap tool to cut 8/32 threads into the holes
and use any length 8/32 screws you want. The tool isn't that expensive
and you would find it to be one of the most useful tools in your
collection. Besides most wire strippers have threaded holes in them for
cutting standard screws without deforming the threads.

http://tinyurl.com/ye86tml

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

*I see this often. I call them the Chinese 8/32. I have had success
retapping the holes and using real 8/32 screws. You could also try cutting
the screws that you have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2010 10:27 PM, Christopher Nelson wrote:
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

Its big box #8/32. The easiest thing to do is run a tap in the hole and
make it a standard #8/32 thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Christopher Nelson wrote:
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

As someone else said, cut the ones you've got to length.

There's a set of threaded holes in the pair of wire strippers for
precisely that purpose...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

As others have suggested you can upsize the screw to 8X32 or take the screw
into the hardware store and ask to use there pitch gauge. These are little
metal plates that have vee notches in them that you can measure the thread
pitch.

In standard threads the pitch is measured in the number of threads per inch.
In metric threads the pitch is measured by the distance from thread to
thread in millimeters.

Once you have that measurement you then measure the major diameter and
figure out the size of the screw.

Another option to consider is just to get some self tapping 8X32 screws and
let them cut their own threads.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 4:19*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. *I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. *But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. *I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. *What size might this be?

*I see this often. *I call them the Chinese 8/32. *I have had success
retapping the holes and using real 8/32 screws. *You could also try cutting
the screws that you have.

LOL, Chinese 8/32, yes exactly what it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in :

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
.
..
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the
screws are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even
tried metric and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

It seems to me that a lot of fixtures come with screws just as you
describe, like a sloppy 8\32. Why not cut the ones you have

Put a nut on it before you cut it. Debur the cut edge on an angle. Remove
the nut to clean up thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 7:27*pm, Christopher Nelson wrote:
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. *I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. *But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. *I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. *What size might this be?

Chris-

As many have suggested ...cut the screws with the threaded hole "screw
cutters) that are present on most good pair of wire strippers.

Also as many have suggested..... "chinese 8-32"

A proper 8-32 is about .163" to .157" od

a 4mm screw is about .157" to .151" od but the standard thread pitch
(mod) is .7mm per thread which is about 36.3 tpi

so I'm guessing that the Chinese mfr just uses the 4mm cold headed
blank and tweaks the threading machine to do 32 tpi instead of 36.3.

The result is "close enough"........ a screw that threads into a
standard 8-32 hole but is rather sloppy being about .005" to .010"
undersized.

cheers
Bob

Screw extractor for brass 10x32 screw Louis Ohland Metalworking 3 December 2nd 09 11:14 PM
Screw It J T Woodworking 6 November 11th 07 04:32 AM
Genie Garage Door Opener screw drive - Screw coming apart timwilson Home Repair 3 June 24th 07 03:53 AM
Need A Screw [email protected] UK diy 17 December 21st 04 01:12 PM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 06:36 PM