Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default #7 screw?

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm
changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws
are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric
and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

As others have suggested you can upsize the screw to 8X32 or take the screw
into the hardware store and ask to use there pitch gauge. These are little
metal plates that have vee notches in them that you can measure the thread
pitch.

In standard threads the pitch is measured in the number of threads per inch.
In metric threads the pitch is measured by the distance from thread to
thread in millimeters.

Once you have that measurement you then measure the major diameter and
figure out the size of the screw.

Another option to consider is just to get some self tapping 8X32 screws and
let them cut their own threads.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.