Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof tar repair

During the recent heavy rain in Southern CA, our office warehouse
experienced some leaks that seem to coming down around a small pipe
that runs up through the roof. I went up on the roof today and noticed
that the tar around the copper pipe seems to be cracking and lifting
up. Can someone recommend a product to easily patch it? I have
enclosed 2 pictures of the area and the pipe of interest. The
photo-1.jpg picture clearly shows the tar lifting up on the lower
right corner of the copper pipe.

http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo.jpg
http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo-1.jpg

Thanks a lot...
Posted to alt.home.repair

During the recent heavy rain in Southern CA, our office warehouse
experienced some leaks that seem to coming down around a small
pipe that runs up through the roof. I went up on the roof today
and noticed that the tar around the copper pipe seems to be
cracking and lifting up. Can someone recommend a product to easily
patch it? I have enclosed 2 pictures of the area and the pipe of
interest. The photo-1.jpg picture clearly shows the tar lifting up
on the lower right corner of the copper pipe.
http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo.jpg
http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo-1.jpg
Thanks a lot...

More than a brand of tar, you need to fix the leak with flashing of
some sort. The tar is secondary to the mechanical fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I went through this with our warehouse. We got some tar repair whose name I
no longer recall but it was a silvery colour with black streaks when you
stirred it. Medium thin stuff so it soaks in fairly well.

Go to a good roofing supply company - don't use the cheap stuff from the
retailers.

The old patching you have looks terrible from point of view of leaking. You
should try to remove as much of it as you can, including that felt. The
felt looks as though it wasn't completely soaked through with tar. The
repair stuff may leak through the opening around the pipe so be carefull -
maybe get some new felt and soak it well and then cram it around the pipe
so the liquid won't run along the pipe. Use a lot of the repair stuff in
several layers. Takes about 5 or 10 minutes between layers.

Your problem occurred because the tar dried out and cracked either from
shrinkage or from being too stiff to flex as needed. You can keep the new
repair from drying out by sticking on a layer of cloth or plastic that is
UV resistant. The roofing supply company should have something you could
use. In a pinch a piece of the same roofing sheet that is on the roof could
do but it would be too stiff to work with easily. Something more flexible
would follow the surface of the repair and keep the sun off.

Now that I think of it - get the diameter of the pipe and ask the roofer
for a collar with a skirt that would be clamped around the pipe and tarred
down around the perimiter. That would look professional.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 1:55*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm also curious. I think it looks like vent for
sewer. It's the only thing I could figure. Like
you say, it's a really strange use of copper.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message

During the recent heavy rain in Southern CA, our
office warehouse
experienced some leaks that seem to coming down
around a small pipe
that runs up through the roof. I went up on the
roof today and noticed
that the tar around the copper pipe seems to be
cracking and lifting
up. Can someone recommend a product to easily
patch it? I have
enclosed 2 pictures of the area and the pipe of
interest. The
photo-1.jpg picture clearly shows the tar
lifting up on the lower
right corner of the copper pipe.

http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo.jpg
http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo-1.jpg

Thanks a lot...

I can't believe no one asked what the hell that
pipe is for? *I see the
close pipe with an open end on top, then in the
background is a T with
the top part open. *And it's all half assed
propped up on wooden blocks.
* What am I missing here?- Hide quoted text -

The propped up half assed part is a dead give away, HVAC drain

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:45:52 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Hi, does anyone have a photo or a website that can show me how it
should have been done? It is a good learning experience for me.
The original install was done by the builder of our office building
about 5 years ago.

If it is 5 years old and leaks, speak to the builder. Do you own or
rent this building? Any warranty from the builder?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:08:33 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

During the recent heavy rain in Southern CA, our office warehouse
experienced some leaks that seem to coming down around a small pipe
that runs up through the roof. I went up on the roof today and noticed
that the tar around the copper pipe seems to be cracking and lifting
up. Can someone recommend a product to easily patch it? I have
enclosed 2 pictures of the area and the pipe of interest. The
photo-1.jpg picture clearly shows the tar lifting up on the lower
right corner of the copper pipe.

http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo.jpg
http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo-1.jpg

Thanks a lot...

Bulldog WetStik if you can still get it in California.
It is a fibrated plastic roofing cement that will stick to wet
surfaces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message

[...]

Nobody else said it, so I will- the preformed doohickeys they sell for
sealing a membrane roof around the hardpoints for a roof deck should
work for that. Cousin to the self-stick ice membrane stuff, just precut
and shaped for a deck penetration. I'd cut back the failed thing around
the hole, and use some emery cloth on the pipe.

Put yeah, that was a ****ant way to run a drain through the roof.
Whenever HVAC cycles, or it gets sunny, that copper is gonna move
around. Around here, they usually run those through the parapet wall on
backside of building, then down, staying outside the heated envelope,
and not penetrating the roof.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

During the recent heavy rain in Southern CA, our office warehouse
experienced some leaks that seem to coming down around a small pipe
that runs up through the roof. I went up on the roof today and noticed
that the tar around the copper pipe seems to be cracking and lifting
up. Can someone recommend a product to easily patch it? I have
enclosed 2 pictures of the area and the pipe of interest. The
photo-1.jpg picture clearly shows the tar lifting up on the lower
right corner of the copper pipe.

http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo.jpg
http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/roof/photo-1.jpg

Thanks a lot...

It needs a rubber boot installed. Oatey makes a few kinds.

The pics got me wondering if the copper pipe running through the roof
is a hack job of some sort that needs correction?
Posted to alt.home.repair

If I get a rubber boot, can I install the boot above the existing tar
without having to tear everything up? Do I just apply the cement
around the new flashing?
Does the rubber boot create a waterproof seal around the copper pipe
without having to use any chalking or tar?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder how I am going to install a rubber boot since there is a
horizontal copper pipe connected to the vertical copper pipe.... I
can't slide the new rubber boot over the copper pipe and down to the
roof surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Slit the boot. Make a ventral slit, axial to the
central orifice. Local anaesthetic, and prepare
glue tray for readhesion of avulsed material.
Scalpel!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

New roof repair m Ransley Home Repair 0 July 24th 06 12:52 PM
Roof repair kennyg Home Repair 12 April 18th 06 06:52 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
roof repair jakobs wife Home Repair 2 December 31st 04 07:32 AM