Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Roof tar repair

wrote:
If I get a rubber boot, can I install the boot above the existing tar
without having to tear everything up? Do I just apply the cement
around the new flashing?
Does the rubber boot create a waterproof seal around the copper pipe
without having to use any chalking or tar?

Thanks

You should carve away the lumpy parts, to get a good mating surface for
the new boot. Since that pipe moves relative to the roof, I'd look for a
boot with ridges at the top, perhaps even one you can put a hose clamp
around. It needs to be able to flex a little as the pipe moves on sunny
days, or when the HVAC hardware vibrates.

--
aem sends...