jakobs wife

Default roof repair

Thanks for the reply. Two separate problems. One is is a small leak.
The other is hard to explain. At the point where the roof over my
front doorway meets my main foof, where that whole angle is, down the
whole length of the roof, I think there is something wrong under the
shingles. When it rains, the rain goes under the shingles and they
don't dry right, and the water runs behind the edge of the end of the
roof so it doesn't get to the gutter. That makes it run straight down
the corner of my brick and straight down into the ground which has now
eventually somehow caused it to leak into my basement during hard
rains. That corner of my brick never dries and the shingles also seem
to be wet for a very long time. That part of the house faces the west
so it gets less sun.

I told you it was hard to explain. lol

Since my last post the neighbor behind me has had some work done on
their roof so I am going to try to go and not be shy, and knock on
their door and ask them about their roofers.

--
jakobs wife
jakobs wife's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=19

Duane Bozarth

jakobs wife wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Two separate problems. One is is a small leak.
The other is hard to explain. At the point where the roof over my
front doorway meets my main foof, where that whole angle is, down the
whole length of the roof, I think there is something wrong under the
shingles. ...

Fairly common area for mistakes to be made...there should have been
flashing installed that may not have been or wasn't done properly or,
sometimes, the flashing can fail if there's a water path...also, there
is possibly a design problem at the interface, particularly if the porch
roof was added later...

Your solution of seeing how roofers did for the neighbors and if
satsifactory, calling them is a good starting point...
Roger Shoaf

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
jakobs wife wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Two separate problems. One is is a small leak.
The other is hard to explain. At the point where the roof over my
front doorway meets my main foof, where that whole angle is, down the
whole length of the roof, I think there is something wrong under the
shingles. ...

Fairly common area for mistakes to be made...there should have been
flashing installed that may not have been or wasn't done properly or,
sometimes, the flashing can fail if there's a water path...also, there
is possibly a design problem at the interface, particularly if the porch
roof was added later...

Your solution of seeing how roofers did for the neighbors and if
satsifactory, calling them is a good starting point...

A lot of this is a design problem. Often the roof will have a 3 in 12 pitch
or better but flatten out to 2 in 12 or less on the porch. Comp shingles
don't do well on less than a 3 in 12 pitch. Wind or capillary action
causes migration of the water back under the shingles.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.