Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flexible pipe for kitchen exhaust fan

Hi,

I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust fan.

What's the reason for that?

Thanks,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Sam Takoy typed:
Hi,

I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust
fan.
What's the reason for that?

Thanks,

Sam

Who told you that? Ask THEM why. With the exception of being fire-proof and
flexible pipe slows down air movement, it's up to the applicator to be sure
it works as expected. ON a long run? Wouldn't be recommended. On a normal
run up & thru the wall? No problem as a rule.

You gave no information to go on. That's like asking why I can't drive my
Buick with a Chevy radio installed in it? I heard more than once not to do
that. Why is that?

HTH,

Twayne

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote the following:
Hi,

I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust fan.

What's the reason for that?

Thanks,

Sam

Maybe they meant flexible plastic duct pipe?
Metallic flex pipe would be OK.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:19:25 -0500, Sam Takoy
wrote:

Hi,

I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust fan.

What's the reason for that?

Thanks,

Sam

If fireproof I see nothing wrong with that. But, metal with a smooth
interior is the preferred.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust
fan.
What's the reason for that?

My guess - it's a grease trap. I sure wouldn't use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust fan.

What's the reason for that?

Thanks,

Sam

If fireproof I see nothing wrong with that. *But, metal with a smooth
interior is the preferred.

Typical cheap clothes dryer platic pipe with a wire for support is no
good. Dangerous buildup of grease and you have a disaster waiting to
happen. Flexible aluminun pipe is reasonable, but every bend slows
down the air and provides a point for grease to accumulate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust fan.

What's the reason for that?

Thanks,

Sam

The inside of the pipe will be corrugated, not smooth. Over time it will
collect grease and dirt far faster than a smooth pipe and will potentially
either start on fire or feed a fire already going. It does not happen often
in the home, but a lot of restaurant fire happen in the ventilation system.

Take the time to do the job right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message news:0v6dnaoac4c0n-
Maybe they meant flexible plastic duct pipe?
Metallic flex pipe would be OK.

No, it wouldn't. Grease collector
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
If fireproof I see nothing wrong with that. But, metal with a smooth
interior is the preferred.

Not just preferred, but - required- by many building codes. Check with
your local building official.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote:
-snip-

I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust fan.

What's the reason for that?

Ask "them" that say you can't use it. I *wouldn't* use it because
it is a grease trap, impossible to clean, much more resistant to
airflow and much lighter gauge than rigid.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Sam Takoy wrote:
-snip-
I've been told that I can't use flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust fan.

What's the reason for that?

Ask "them" that say you can't use it. I *wouldn't* use it because
it is a grease trap, impossible to clean, much more resistant to
airflow and much lighter gauge than rigid.

Jim

Thanks for the responses.

The reason I am looking at flexible duct work is I'm trying to build a
contraption that slides sideways over the stove. The only place to build
the exhaust was to the side of the stove. So in needs to be flexible
enough to go from this

to this

\
\
\
\

It needs to slide by 12" over the length of 42".

Any suggested solutions would be most welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

"willshak" wrote in message news:0v6dnaoac4c0n-
Maybe they meant flexible plastic duct pipe?
Metallic flex pipe would be OK.

No, it wouldn't. Grease collector

So is the solid tubing. The difference is that the flex tubing will
collect more grease before leaking it back onto the range.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote the following:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Sam Takoy wrote:
-snip-
[...]

They make elbows that can be adjusted to any angle.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

The reason I am looking at flexible duct work is I'm trying to build a
contraption that slides sideways over the stove. The only place to build
the exhaust was to the side of the stove. So in needs to be flexible
enough to go from this

to this

\
\
\
\

It needs to slide by 12" over the length of 42".

Any suggested solutions would be most welcome.

How about a smaller pipe fitting into a larger one? Make a flange
to compensate for the different diameters. You can get quite a bit of
movement if the pipes don't overlap too much. That might work if you
don't plan to take the assembly apart too often.
There are couplings made for water piping but they are probably spendy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sheet metal pipe is available from 3 to 10 inches diameter in one inch
increments in 5' lenghts. Elbows are also available for each size that
will adjust from straight to 90 degrees. They are not terribly
expensive. HD/Lowes should have it. They also have the rectangular duct
that is made to fit inside a wall if that will work better for you. The
elbows for that are only avilable in 45 and 90 degree AFAIK. They also
have adapters to go from round to the rectangular. Again, not expensive
and avail at the box stores. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 8:14*pm, (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:
Sheet metal pipe is available from 3 to 10 inches diameter in one inch
increments in 5' lenghts. Elbows are also available for each size that
will adjust from straight to 90 degrees. They are not terribly
expensive. HD/Lowes should have it. They also have the rectangular duct
that is made to fit inside a wall if that will work better for you. The
elbows for that are only avilable in 45 and 90 degree AFAIK. They also
have adapters to go from round to the rectangular. Again, not expensive
and avail at the box stores. * *Larry

In addition to lowes and HD, any Mom and Pop sheet metal place can
fabricate anything for you, and they could make it in one piece.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know about the contraption, so what I suggest may
not be appropriate, but have you considered a box the length
of the distance, with an opening the width of the pipe and the
length of the intended run. And have the pipe having a collar
within the box so that it could be slid along the open track,
and the collar would cover the rest of the opening.
Need more details for making something better than a WAG
(Wild-Assed Guess)

On Feb 13, 6:04*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:

The reason I am looking at flexible duct work is I'm trying to build a
contraption that slides sideways over the stove. The only place to build
the exhaust was to the side of the stove. So in needs to be flexible
enough to go from this

flexible copper pipe "plumb sticks" or pipe bending Fred UK diy 24 June 16th 17 10:17 PM
Flexible exhaust tubing Stuart & Kathryn Fields Metalworking 9 July 10th 08 02:31 PM
Stabilizing flexible pipe Eigenvector Home Repair 0 August 5th 06 11:50 PM
Flexible flush pipe Mark UK diy 12 January 9th 06 03:25 PM
Flexible gas pipe needed Frank Z UK diy 1 August 2nd 03 10:22 PM