Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Hot Water Boiler

I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have a
Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35
years ago and now I am going to get prices from local contractors for a
replacement..
I also understand there is a $1500 tax credit this year for just that.
Your comments on brands including energy efficient models would be
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 9:24*am, "jimmy" wrote:
I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have a
Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35
years ago *and now I am going to get prices from local contractors for a
replacement..
I also understand there is a $1500 tax credit this year for just that.
Your comments on brands including energy efficient models would be
appreciated.

Weil-Mclain is another good make.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jimmy" wrote in message
I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have a
Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35
years ago and now I am going to get prices from local contractors for a
replacement..
I also understand there is a $1500 tax credit this year for just that.
Your comments on brands including energy efficient models would be
appreciated.
Are you looking for oil, or gas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:24:54 -0500, "jimmy"
wrote:

I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have a
Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35
years ago and now I am going to get prices from local contractors for a
replacement..
I also understand there is a $1500 tax credit this year for just that.
Your comments on brands including energy efficient models would be
appreciated.

Don't count on getting a tax credit. My federal tax for 2009 is $0 so
that disqualified me for an "energy credit" on an $980 exterior door
And then, I had to waste an hour and a half reading the instructions,
simply not worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jimmy" wrote in message
I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have a
Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35
years ago and now I am going to get prices from local contractors for a
replacement..
I also understand there is a $1500 tax credit this year for just that.
Your comments on brands including energy efficient models would be
appreciated.

My choice last year was the System 2000 by Energy Kinetics.
www.energykinetics.com

Based on the two previous years of oil use and the degree days, my savings
for the past year came to 39.4%.

I had a 30 year old Texaco with a Beckett burner and tankless coil for hot
water. This has a 40 gallon indirect fired hot water tank that saves a
bundle of money by comparison.

Yes, you get a $1500 tax credit and you may also be able to get 0% interest
financing and state rebate. CT gave me $500 and 10 years to pay for the
boiler. The savings in oil alone pay the monthly payment so I guess you can
say I got a free boiler. With 14 months of use, I'd buy it again, no
hesitation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 8:24*am, "jimmy" wrote:
I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have a
Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35
years ago *and now I am going to get prices from local contractors for a
replacement..
I also understand there is a $1500 tax credit this year for just that.
Your comments on brands including energy efficient models would be
appreciated.

www.heatinghelp.com is a site you post at The Wall, its all boilers
pros, you will probably even find an extra bidder. Burnham, Weil
McLain are well known, the System 2000 has a inovative design. If you
are considering high efficency condensing, which you might need for
the credit for most manufacurers, understand condensings efficency
starts dropping above about 140f. I can heat cast iron radiators I
have at 140f only when its about 30 or more outside, at -10 I need
160-170 so how your home is insulated and sized in radiator sizeing
will determine if you should use condensing. See now if you can set
the aqua stat to 140 and monitor the operation. With new electronics a
extended warranty is worth considering. Pull a permit, it gets you
free inspections so you are sure its to code, and dont give a final
payment till its passed, I have many times had good contractors screw
up, look at the permit as insurance and job review, not a tax. There
is so much being offered you will be confused if you look into
condensing, design, type of build relating to longevity. 35 years, for
a good boiler it may have 15 years more, what you have now is probably
around 75-80% efficent, new units mainly hold only 10-15% the water of
old units, so they heat faster, and the metal may be thinner and some
are aluminum, so life is lower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
jimmy wrote:
I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have
Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35
years ago and now I am going to get prices from local contractors for a
replacement..
I also understand there is a $1500 tax credit this year for just that.
Your comments on brands including energy efficient models would be
appreciated.

ENERGY STAR qualified boilers have an annual fuel utilization efficiency
(AFUE) rating of 85% or greater

Try Utica boilers.

And that Energy Star gets you the $1500.

There are a bunch of good boilers on the market. Peerless, Buderus, Crown,
Weil McLain to name a few more. Most ever one uses a burner by two or three
different manufacturers also. I can't say anything bad about those
brands, I just thought the design of the System 2000 was a bit better and
more efficient.

BOILER LEAKED WATER lee[_2_] UK diy 1 August 11th 09 08:31 AM
Old boiler to New boiler and water heater New & Improved - N/F John Home Repair 4 March 11th 08 02:40 AM
how to tell a steam boiler from a hot water boiler Dyvim Home Repair 12 May 13th 06 07:49 PM
instantaneous hot water boiler Fray Bentos UK diy 7 January 16th 05 10:19 PM
no water pressure from my boiler bobonacus UK diy 0 January 16th 05 12:34 PM