Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old boiler to New boiler and water heater

I want to get a new heating/water system. I will heat with oil and bath
with gas heated water. My chimney has no liner. I'll need a stainless
steel liner. One chimney guy wants to come over, inspect, suggest what to
do, then give a quote while charging me for the inspection. The second
chimney guy said he'll come over after the new equipment is installed and
then size and certify. What is the proper order of liner installation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 8:59*pm, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:
I want to get a new heating/water system. *I will heat with oil and bath
with gas heated water. *My chimney has no liner. *I'll need a stainless
steel liner. *One chimney guy wants to come over, inspect, suggest what to
do, then give a quote while charging me for the inspection. *The second
chimney guy said he'll come over after the new equipment is installed and
then size and certify. *What is the proper order of liner installation?

Why not heat all with gas and direct vent with a high efficency
heating system , saves 8-14% on heat and needs no chimney, vent out
with PVC at ground level. Only a hack heater guy will install you
with a bad flue-chimney. Get a Permit, and free inspection, get a load
calculation. What you save on a liner put into equipment and
insulation and save more on utilities, maybe 25% or more
Posted to alt.home.repair

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
I want to get a new heating/water system. I will heat with oil and bath
with gas heated water. My chimney has no liner. I'll need a stainless
steel liner. One chimney guy wants to come over, inspect, suggest what to
do, then give a quote while charging me for the inspection. The second
chimney guy said he'll come over after the new equipment is installed and
then size and certify. What is the proper order of liner installation?

Charging for inspection is common for a chimney sweep. You can usually
negotiate the fee back if you have work done.

If you have gas coming to the house, it is probably cheaper to heat with gas
all the way and do away with oil. There are many new models out there, many
that do not need a chimney and in your case, the associated expenses. Get
some estimates from heating installers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I want to get a new heating/water system. I will heat with oil and bath
with gas heated water. My chimney has no liner. I'll need a stainless
steel liner. One chimney guy wants to come over, inspect, suggest what to
do, then give a quote while charging me for the inspection. The second
chimney guy said he'll come over after the new equipment is installed and
then size and certify. What is the proper order of liner installation?

In addition to what the others said, if you decide to go with a gas
heating appliance that vents through the chimney (boiler or furnace) ,
the liner wouldn't (probably) need to be stainless. For gas
appliances, the standard liners are aluminum, which is way, way
cheaper than stainless.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I want to get a new heating/water system. �I will heat with oil and bath
with gas heated water. �My chimney has no liner. �I'll need a stainless
steel liner. �One chimney guy wants to come over, inspect, suggest what to
do, then give a quote while charging me for the inspection. �The second
chimney guy said he'll come over after the new equipment is installed and
then size and certify. �What is the proper order of liner installation?

In addition to what the others said, if you decide to go with a gas
heating appliance that vents through the chimney (boiler or furnace) ,
the liner wouldn't (probably) need to be stainless. �For gas
appliances, the standard liners are aluminum, which is way, way
cheaper than stainless.

JK

might as well go all gas with direct vent furnace and seperate direct
vent hot water tank.

the chimney wouldnt be used anymore and everything will be uch more
efficent.