Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

snow

Default How economical to switch from water heater to boiler?

I have lived un my house for 8 years. When I first moved
into this house, the original owners heater the water
directly from the boiler. I had young children at the time and I decided to
install a hot water heater to avoid scalding. My kids are older now, and I
am wondering
if I would save electrical costs by going back to heating the water directly
from the boiler, and disconnect the hot water heater. It seems the hot water
heater uses up a large amount of electricity. Our electric company recently
raised our rates by 20%. This is one reason I am considering the change.
Anyone familiar with cost savings doing this, I appreciate their input.

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 22:09:17 GMT, someone wrote:

if I would save electrical costs by going back to heating the water directly
from the boiler, and disconnect the hot water heater.

That means your boiler would have to be "live" all summer.

Do you need heat all summer? If not, better of turning off the boiler
and if your electric rates are very high, firing the water heater with
some other fuel.

Water heater in series to use as storage tank ... good or bad? Fred Home Repair 12 January 29th 05 01:38 PM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 01:09 AM