DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How economical to switch from water heater to boiler? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/102179-how-economical-switch-water-heater-boiler.html)

snow April 9th 05 11:09 PM

How economical to switch from water heater to boiler?

I have lived un my house for 8 years. When I first moved
into this house, the original owners heater the water
directly from the boiler. I had young children at the time and I decided to
install a hot water heater to avoid scalding. My kids are older now, and I
am wondering
if I would save electrical costs by going back to heating the water directly
from the boiler, and disconnect the hot water heater. It seems the hot water
heater uses up a large amount of electricity. Our electric company recently
raised our rates by 20%. This is one reason I am considering the change.
Anyone familiar with cost savings doing this, I appreciate their input.

v April 12th 05 09:39 PM

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 22:09:17 GMT, someone wrote:

if I would save electrical costs by going back to heating the water directly
from the boiler, and disconnect the hot water heater.

That means your boiler would have to be "live" all summer.

Do you need heat all summer? If not, better of turning off the boiler
and if your electric rates are very high, firing the water heater with
some other fuel.