Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck Jalousie Windows

I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

i dont think the warden wants you to open the jailhouse window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 6:33*pm, SMS wrote:
I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

If the house is near the ocean, the aluminum is probably pitted. Even
if they're not, there's probably still corrosion. You'll have to
disassemble the window to find out where the binding is taking place.
If you have to replace a pin, you can use pop rivets.
http://www.realestatewebmasters.com/...key/6619/show/
Here's a link on how to repair jalousie windows and it has a link to a
parts supply place.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2077862_repa...e-windows.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:33:46 -0800 (PST), SMS
wrote:

I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

Try WD 40 at the pivot points. Open the windows from the outside. A
hand on each end of one glass (grasp the metal) and gently lift.
Careful you can crack that glass.

Forget the torch

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

Try WD 40 at the pivot points. *Open the windows from the outside. A
hand on each end of one glass (grasp the metal) and gently lift.
Careful you can crack that glass.

Forget the torch

I used brake fluid on some that were really cruded up after trying
WD40 first and it worked much better. Used Lithium Soap in the cranks.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

Try WD 40 at the pivot points. *Open the windows from the outside. A
hand on each end of one glass (grasp the metal) and gently lift.
Careful you can crack that glass.

Forget the torch

I used brake fluid on some that were really cruded up after trying
WD40 first and it worked much better. Used Lithium Soap in the cranks.

Jimmie

Yeah, that's the second half of the problem, how to keep them from
resticking.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 10, 6:38*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:33*pm, SMS wrote:

I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

Spray WD40

might work, but only if they are "slightly" stuck. I'd recommend PB
Blaster or Kroil and yes, a torch might be required if they are really
stuck.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 10:03*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

wrote:
I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

Try WD 40 at the pivot points. *Open the windows from the outside. A
hand on each end of one glass (grasp the metal) and gently lift.
Careful you can crack that glass.

Forget the torch

I used brake fluid on some that were really cruded up after trying
WD40 first and it worked much better. Used Lithium Soap in the cranks.

Jimmie

Yeah, that's the second half of the problem, how to keep them from
resticking.- Hide quoted text -

Get rid of the damned things.is best.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 10, 5:33*pm, SMS wrote:
I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

You are probably overmatched on this project. Call some window
professionals, preferably people who also do repairs, and get
estimates, quotes. Jalousies are inherently complicated things and it
will be surprising if any of them can be revived. as suggested by
another, replacement will likely turn out to be your best option long
term.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:32:12 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Feb 10, 5:33*pm, SMS wrote:
I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

You are probably overmatched on this project. Call some window
professionals, preferably people who also do repairs, and get
estimates, quotes. Jalousies are inherently complicated things and it
will be surprising if any of them can be revived. as suggested by
another, replacement will likely turn out to be your best option long
term.

Joe

Please. The jalousie windows may have some architectural or
historical significance to the building.

OP wants them open, so he can fix them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Oren wrote:

Please. The jalousie windows may have some architectural or
historical significance to the building.

They don't. I don't know why on earth they used jalousies on that one
window. It's a window between the outside, and partial concrete wall on
a screened in patio. You can still buy jalousie windows, but not in the
height of these windows.

We are selling the house as part of an estate and we will just leave it
the way it is. Putting in two awning windows will cost about $400, and
given the housing market in south Florida it's not worth fixing it
because it will not make the house easier to sell or gain us anything
close to $400 in return. With housing values going down at 2% a month
around there, and competing against all these short sales and
foreclosures, one inoperable window is not going to matter.

Leaded Windows (stuck on) John UK diy 2 May 22nd 07 04:54 PM
Stuck windows [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 13th 05 10:44 PM
Stuck windows david Home Repair 1 December 24th 04 04:22 PM
stuck windows - looking for non-smelly silicone lube Veggie Home Ownership 9 August 31st 04 11:09 PM
Stuck windows Jim Home Repair 5 July 12th 03 04:39 PM