Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Stuck Jalousie Windows

On Feb 10, 10:03*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 10, 9:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

On Feb 10, 8:45*pm, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:33:46 -0800 (PST), SMS

wrote:
I'm trying to fix some jalousie windows in my late mother's house. The
operators are no good and I managed to get them off of the frame by
breaking off the rusted bolts. But the windows won't open or close at
all, I suspect that the hinges have corrosion in the pins (all of
which seem to be aluminum). Any ideas of how to unstick all the
mechanisms? Would it help to use a blow torch on the hinges?

Try WD 40 at the pivot points. *Open the windows from the outside. A
hand on each end of one glass (grasp the metal) and gently lift.
Careful you can crack that glass.

Forget the torch

I used brake fluid on some that were really cruded up after trying
WD40 first and it worked much better. Used Lithium Soap in the cranks.

Jimmie

Yeah, that's the second half of the problem, how to keep them from
resticking.- Hide quoted text -

Get rid of the damned things.is best.

Jimmie