Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3-way switches to ceiling fan and light?

I am trying to figure out how to (or if I can) wire a ceiling fan and light
so that the fan and light are controlled separately -- and both are
controlled from two different sets of switches at two different locations.
The room has two doorways and I would like to be able to control the ceiling
fan and light individually from a set of switches located near each of the
doorways. This would be similar to having a ceiling light controlled by
two 3-way switches, with one at each doorway, except that in this case I
would like the switch sets to be able to control the ceiling fan and ceiling
fan light separately from either doorway.

Here is the existing wiring configuration:

The power/feed goes to the first switch setup at doorway "1" with 12/2 wire;
then 12/3 wire goes from there to the switch setup at doorway "2"; then 12/3
wire goes from there up to a ceiling light. In other words, the room is
presently wired as a typical 3-way switch setup to a ceiling light, but the
wiring going up to the existing ceiling light was prewired with 12/3 wire
instead of 12/2 in case we ever wanted to replace the ceiling light with a
ceiling fan/light. The ceiling box for the existing light was already
installed using a ceiling fan box in case the light was ever changed to a
ceiling fan/light fixture.

So, what I would like to do now is change the existing ceiling light to a
ceiling fan/light, and change the switch setup at each doorway to be able to
control the ceiling fan and ceiling individually from either doorway.

Is there a way to do this using the existing wiring that is now in place
(without using any wireless/remote devices)? If so, how would I wire that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Jay-T" wrote:
[...]

No.

You don't have enough conductors in the existing wiring. You need 5 conductors
going from doorway 1 to doorway 2 (two travelers for each 3-way switch, plus
neutral). The 12/3 from doorway 2 to the ceiling box is sufficient (one hot
from each 3-way switch, plus neutral).

Further, it's likely that the existing switch boxes are not large enough to
accomodate the additional two conductors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

Not hard wired without pulling another 3 wire cable between the switch
locations, but Casablanca makes Intellitouch 3 way controls for their fans,
which would control both fan speed and light dimming from both locations

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 03:00:53 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "Jay-T" wrote:
[...]

Make sure the box is supported for a ceiling fan.

Most people get used to just using the pull chain for the fan. It is
a very large honey dew weekend otherwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I actually could pull another 3 wire cable between the switch
locations without too much trouble. Both are above an open ceiling basement
and are easily accessible from below.

So, in terms of wiring, would I then be thinking of the setup as being
similar to having two 3-way switches for the fan (one at each doorway) and
two 3-way switches for the light (also one at each doorway)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Jay-T"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks. If I did go ahead with that approach, what are now single switch
boxes at each doorway would become double switch boxes at each location.
So, that would solve the problem of the switch boxes not being large enough
to accommodate the additional conductors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jay-T" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, although I don't believe I've ever seen a 3way fan speed control

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Jay-T" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

Just checked, they do apparently make them

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 8, 10:00*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Jay-T" wrote:
[...]

ASSuming that he rewires it so he has switch leg wiring, why would he
need a neutral between the two doorways? e.g. repull the feed so that
it goes to the ceiling box instead of doorway 1, then leave the 12/3
to doorway 1, then you'd need 12/4 to doorway 2 for 3-ways for both
fan and light. 12/3 from doorway 1 to doorway 2 to have control of
lights at both doorways and control of fan only at doorway 1.

I'm not sure that I would bother with a 3-way fan control however. I
think a 3-way for the light is a good idea but once you have the light
on, you could walk over to the other door to turn on/off the fan.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay-T wrote:
[...]

Screw it. Get a remote control fan/light with multiple remotes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks. It would not be too hard for me to pull a new cable from doorway 1
to doorway 2 if I decided to do that. That's because the room is over an
open ceiling basement. But , running nay new wires from the switch up to
the fixture would be very difficult and would require opening the wall and
ceiling. So I definitely don't want to do that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"Jay-T" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.

Ceiling Rose with Two Switches and Ceiling Fan Issue Maria UK diy 0 November 23rd 09 05:00 PM
Ceiling Rose with Two Switches and Ceiling Fan Issue Maria UK diy 0 November 23rd 09 04:56 PM
Light switches gcotterl Home Repair 23 November 7th 09 03:49 PM
Ceiling fan switches [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 29th 08 03:26 AM
bathroom ceiling pull switches.. Paul Andrews UK diy 9 October 11th 05 12:10 AM